Pi or npi - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Pi or npi

I want to build a 370-380rwhp na motor and don't no what will be a better way to get there can I just go with my npi or swap pi heads and intake or I've heard people just swapping pi intake on npi heads I'm not sure the difference in all 3 but I really want to no
Burkeys96GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Unless you are prepared to drop a new engine in ur car your not gonna get those numbers na. Your looking at a full race upgrade for.that engine to get even close. 100 x cheaper to buy a forged stroker kit and blow it...
Old 12-20-2011, 03:46 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Tennessee
Re: Pi or npi

swap the pi heads over and you will own a whole new car...i love driving my friends '98 GT with this done...it would out run my old '04 GT any day of the week. I can't wait to see how much faster it'll move once he upgrades his gears
SonicBoom239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
You can swap in the new trick flow top end kit for the pi motors. It gets a stock pi motor up over 350 easily. That would be the same as doing a pi swap only your getting the trick flow heads and cams instead of a stock set. All you would need is the intake. If you do that with some long tubes, full exhaust, throttle body & plenum, cai and a tune you should hit 380 easily
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Pi or npi

might want to look into another motor, 380rwhp aint that hard to get to with a supercharger etc IF the motor can handle it.

You may could find an 03/04 cobra motor and trans for a good price... that alone is just about at your goal STOCK and it has much room to grow.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
might want to look into another motor, 380rwhp aint that hard to get to with a supercharger etc IF the motor can handle it.

You may could find an 03/04 cobra motor and trans for a good price... that alone is just about at your goal STOCK and it has much room to grow.
+1

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson
You can swap in the new trick flow top end kit for the pi motors. It gets a stock pi motor up over 350 easily. That would be the same as doing a pi swap only your getting the trick flow heads and cams instead of a stock set. All you would need is the intake. If you do that with some long tubes, full exhaust, throttle body & plenum, cai and a tune you should hit 380 easily
Not even close... the trickflow head set with nasty cams still wont get 350 rw. A full prepped 4.6 2v, with race cams, bumped compression, built bottom end, and crazy intake work will be lucky to make 400crank. Only way he is gonna make 380rw is for him to blow or swap.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

Not even close... the trickflow head set with nasty cams still wont get 350 rw. A full prepped 4.6 2v, with race cams, bumped compression, built bottom end, and crazy intake work will be lucky to make 400crank. Only way he is gonna make 380rw is for him to blow or swap.
Wrong. Summit racing has the TFS top end kit. Rated at 390 hp (at the crank). So that's around 340 at the wheels. Then add on other bolt ons and your easily at 380. A guy that lives near me has the top end kit with a cai, tune and exhaust that dynoed at 378. UD Pullies, and a throttle body/ plenum combo will probably put in the 390 range or a little inder

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
Wrong! Go look on summit racing and do some research. The TFS twisted wedge top end kit is rated for 390 crank hp. That's ~340 at the wheels on a 5 speed. Then add on full bolt ons and you tune. That's easily 380 at the wheels. AND THEN you could go even further and get a better cam, and have the heads port and polished and thats over 400 hp EASILY at the wheels NA
Old 12-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson

Wrong. Summit racing has the TFS top end kit. Rated at 390 hp (at the crank). So that's around 340 at the wheels. Then add on other bolt ons and your easily at 380. A guy that lives near me has the top end kit with a cai, tune and exhaust that dynoed at 378. UD Pullies, and a throttle body/ plenum combo will probably put in the 390 range or a little inder

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Wrong! Go look on summit racing and do some research. The TFS twisted wedge top end kit is rated for 390 crank hp. That's ~340 at the wheels on a 5 speed. Then add on full bolt ons and you tune. That's easily 380 at the wheels. AND THEN you could go even further and get a better cam, and have the heads port and polished and thats over 400 hp EASILY at the wheels NA
You can yell wrong at me all day but I've never seen a streetable na 380rw 4.6 2v. He needs to make 450 crank minimum. And that's through a bigger driveline which sucks more power too. Blow it... way cheaper and easier.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not disagreeing that it would be cheeper to just get a blower kit. I'm just saying it can be done. I looked long and hard at doing an NA build before I bought the blower that I'm getting ready to put on

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT