Head Gasket Question!?!?!? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Arrow Head Gasket Question!?!?!?

I just finished the break in on my freshly built 4.6l 2v. But when I pulled up in my driveway after the break in. I saw a little anti-freeze leaking from the head gasket on the passenger side. I was told that this could be normal because the gaskets get hot and cold and need to be ran through a heat cycling before they make a good seal. Basically they told me that it should go away after some more driving. I just want some advice from you guys on this..it kinda scared me and Im a little worried about it.

So my question is, is this normal for some engines?

Thanks for any help guys
FORDGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I'm not a 4.6 guy so I'm not sure about those engines. I have rebuilt several small blocks (302, 351) and even a couple of 2.3's and have never had coolant leaking from the head gasket.
Any of you 4.6 gurus have a thought on this?
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: Head Gasket Question!?!?!?

i have never seen that happen b4 and that is not normal lol...since you pput break in miles on it now...change the oil and check for coolant..
slow02gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow02gt
i have never seen that happen b4 and that is not normal lol...since you pput break in miles on it now...change the oil and check for coolant..
Totally agree.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ive changed several head gaskets on my 4.6s and never had that, or from any other motor and ive done hundreds. Something is wrong but make sure that its not from the intake/ intake gaskets first
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickstang01
Ive changed several head gaskets on my 4.6s and never had that, or from any other motor and ive done hundreds. Something is wrong but make sure that its not from the intake/ intake gaskets first
Im not sure if you read my thread about the car not idling rite, but i found out that the intake gasket had broke or didnt seal under the manifold and thats why the car isnt idling rite, do you think maybe i could be seeing coolent from the intake getting on the head gasket since it is on top of it?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

it is possible the intakes leaking coolant not the head gskt
Old 12-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde
it is possible the intakes leaking coolant not the head gskt
I pray thats what it is, I followed the book on everything, torque specs, break in, litterally everything. So idk how or why it would be doing this, but im hoping the idling problem is also the answer to this question..
Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well guys, it wasnt the intake leaking the anti-freaze
So my new question is, can i use any kind of sealant to maybe seal the small leak..i really dont wana pull the damn engine again to redo this stupid head..
Any ideas?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDGT14
Well guys, it wasnt the intake leaking the anti-freaze
So my new question is, can i use any kind of sealant to maybe seal the small leak..i really dont wana pull the damn engine again to redo this stupid head..
Any ideas?
There are no quick fixes. Id say your doing it again. Are you sure the head isn't warped?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Who did the build? Whomever it was, do you know if they followed the correct torque 'sequence' of the head bolts? Were MLS (multi-layer steel) gaskets used? Were new head bolts used?

Also, when torquing head bolts, you are suppose to hand tighten each bolt first. Then begin the torquing sequence of the bolts from the center of the head outwards toward the edges. This prevents a 'bowing' effect on the head if one was to torque from the outside in. It seems farfetched but this can and does happen.

Was the correct torque spec followed?

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I only work on 4.6l mustangs at my shop, and I've never had that issue....question. Did you send the heads to get decked? And what brand gaskets did you use. For my customers that don't have alot of money to spend, I use the felpro ones from advance auto parts. And they work fine! But I always recommend motorcraft ones..
Frankensteins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankensteins
I only work on 4.6l mustangs at my shop, and I've never had that issue....question. Did you send the heads to get decked? And what brand gaskets did you use. For my customers that don't have alot of money to spend, I use the felpro ones from advance auto parts. And they work fine! But I always recommend motorcraft ones..
I ordered them from Engine Tech online. And yeah I had the heads completely redone, new valves, decked, and everything else. It doesnt make any sense.

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 AM ----------

I did the build here at my shop. And I followed the book on EVERYTHING. They have a very strange way of doing things with this engine but I followed them anyways..I had the heads decked, all new valves, litterally everything done rite. I didnt take any shortcuts at all. The entire engine is new, besides the block, I had it machined and re-used it. And I bought brand new head bolts from autozone. I just dont get it.

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

I dont think it is..I had it machined and completely rebuilt..would the shop tell me if it were warped?

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC View Post
Who did the build? Whomever it was, do you know if they followed the correct torque 'sequence' of the head bolts? Were MLS (multi-layer steel) gaskets used? Were new head bolts used?

Also, when torquing head bolts, you are suppose to hand tighten each bolt first. Then begin the torquing sequence of the bolts from the center of the head outwards toward the edges. This prevents a 'bowing' effect on the head if one was to torque from the outside in. It seems farfetched but this can and does happen.

Was the correct torque spec followed?

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

I did the build here at my shop. And I followed the book on EVERYTHING. They have a very strange way of doing things with this engine but I followed them anyways..I had the heads decked, all new valves, litterally everything done rite. I didnt take any shortcuts at all. The entire engine is new, besides the block, I had it machined and re-used it. And I bought brand new head bolts from autozone. I just dont get it.

---------- Post added at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 AM ----------

Ok so Ive been looking all around online and so far Ive come up with one reason for the leak..I read that the aluminum and cast will move around while heating and cooling. So basically Im suppost to drive it and see if it seals up after a few days.

I also talked to my uncle whose been building engines for 25+ years. He said when he rebuilt his Chevy big block 454, it had a small coolent leak from the head gasket. He said he just ran it through a few good heat cycles and the leak left, still hasnt leaked in over 5 years. He said its not uncommon for them to slightly leak after rebuild, they just need to make a good seal when they heat up and cool off during the break in period of its life.

So maybe I should just leave it and see if it seals and goes away after I drive it some more?
Old 12-28-2011, 01:29 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If its leaking after a couple heat cycles id say ur in for a rebuild. Also, id hate to see that leak mix in an oil passage... you could be rebuilding a lot more than just one head gasket...
Old 12-28-2011, 01:41 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
I've herd of ppl unplugging the fan and running the temp way up before they plug the fan back. I don't know any specifics, I'm in no way advising this but some you know may know more. Oh, ones I've herd of were push rod motors.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:53 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
If its leaking after a couple heat cycles id say ur in for a rebuild. Also, id hate to see that leak mix in an oil passage... you could be rebuilding a lot more than just one head gasket...
Is what he said right? I'm not trying to second guess him at all, he's been rite about alot of problems on this car. I just want to make sure that it is some what normal to do this after a fresh rebuild..It would make sense that it needs to go through heat cycles before it completely seals, but Im new to this.

So do you think its normal for it to do this before the heat cycles? Ive driven it maybe a total of 15 minutes during the break in.

---------- Post added at 02:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
I've herd of ppl unplugging the fan and running the temp way up before they plug the fan back. I don't know any specifics, I'm in no way advising this but some you know may know more. Oh, ones I've herd of were push rod motors.
SO running it through heat cycles is normal for these engines to seal up?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #17

Region: Oklahoma
Ok i've been doing this since 1989 on a lot of engines any leaks afterwards is not right if its leaking now its gonna keep leaking.do urself a favor and money in the long run and just do it again
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
As said above I'd tear it back down and fix. If it leaks now it'll keep leaking
Old 12-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

If it is leaking, it ain't right. Something is causing it to leak; bad head gasket, head is not square, block is not square. Been doing rebuilds for a long time and it is not supposed to leak, that's the purpose of the head gasket, to make a perfect seal. Even IF it were to stop leaking, the head gasket is going to be weak in that area. Not something you want to worry about.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Agree with scooter and 02pony

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Also since your tearing it down again, it wouldn't hurt to install a new oil pump and pick up tube while your in there
Old 12-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Just do it again man. And make sure your square for sure.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Agree with scooter and 02pony

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Also since your tearing it down again, it wouldn't hurt to install a new oil pump and pick up tube while your in there
Already replaced them.

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Well **** guys. This is gona suck. It was a pain in the *** to pull it out the first time but Id rather do it right so looks like Im in for another ride. The other head seems to be fine though. Should I just leave it alone or replace the gasket there too?
Old 12-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

If u used new gaskets I'd leave it unless u changing gasket brands/style
Old 12-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

First, I would find out why is was leaking from only one side. If its a machining issue, don't worry about the other side. But if it's a gasket issue. I would change both...
Remember!!! Before you take anything apart. Make sure you on TDC off cylinder one...I made that mistake a couple times no fun at all
Old 12-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02PONY
If u used new gaskets I'd leave it unless u changing gasket brands/style
Its just gona be a pain to take the block and make sure its flat with one head still on it. But if I take it off, Im suppost to replace it rite?

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Quote:
First, I would find out why is was leaking from only one side. If its a machining issue, don't worry about the other side. But if it's a gasket issue. I would change both...
Remember!!! Before you take anything apart. Make sure you on TDC off cylinder one...I made that mistake a couple times no fun at all
Honestly I remember setting that leaking head on the block and somthing was up with the dowls..it had a bit of a rocking motion to it, but it didnt seem like it was a HUGE amount of motion so i hammered it down with a mallet and it was fine, then I followed the torquing procedures..I think I may have discovered my problem. Very stupid mistake..
Old 12-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Oh and I forgot to mention that I havnt retorqued the heads, they are aluminum heads, and Ive been told that after the first start up to retorque them but its such a pain in the *** that I didnt get around to it. Could that maybe be the issue?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I doubt it. I know it's a pita but gonna have to tear it apart again
Old 12-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Ok Ill be sure to update the thread when I tear it down.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

If your bored after u get donetearing into yours again u can come up and put my heads and cams on mine. Lol
Old 12-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Lol I gotta let you have a little fun too man! Haha
Old 12-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

U get head off and look at gasket yet
Old 12-31-2011, 02:04 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
U get head off and look at gasket yet
Nope, been too busy to pull it apart, my buddy has my cherry picker so i cant pull the engine anyways. I wish i could pull the damn head without pullin the engine..its not gona be fun lol

But where are you located? I was gona ask you on that other thread about some new heads, I figure if i take it apart again, i mite as well upgrade to some better heads while i have some extra money cuz more than likely my head is warped from the way it was moving around on the block before i made the mistake of using it..thats what i think the problem is anyways.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:00 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in Indiana didnt u say in one of your post u had the heads checked out when building it the first time? Only heads I got are just stock heads that have stage 2 porting . Not sure if I'm going to sell yet or not As for aftermarket I never really looked into them. I don't like to spend that much on parts. I like to talk to someone who might know someone's brothers cousin uncles step grand child's daddy who has like new parts. You would have to ask these high roller$ on here . I had the ported p/i heads on my f150 with comp cams and trick flow timing kit on it sounded great very little torque increase but great hp increase.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:19 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm in Indiana didnt u say in one of your post u had the heads checked out when building it the first time? Only heads I got are just stock heads that have stage 2 porting . Not sure if I'm going to sell yet or not As for aftermarket I never really looked into them. I don't like to spend that much on parts. I like to talk to someone who might know someone's brothers cousin uncles step grand child's daddy who has like new parts. You would have to ask these high roller$ on here . I had the ported p/i heads on my f150 with comp cams and trick flow timing kit on it sounded great very little torque increase but great hp increase.
Yeah I meant that when I had the heads rebuilt and machined, I thought the guy at the shop would have told me if the heads were bad or not, since hes suppose to be a professional, but then again, hes probably lookin to get the job done quick and not really worried about the heads, just another job to him.

And I was thinkin about trickflow, i read on some other thread amd everyone was sayin how great they are but I really dont wana pay for a brand new set, id rather get some stock ones built up. I guess I could make a thread asking for someone who has a set for a decent price.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT