Blew a spark plug... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Blew a spark plug...

Well it seems I blew a spark plug out of my cylinder head by just starting my car. I removed the coil and inspected it and the threads are gone. Is there a helicoil kit I can get at a local parts store? Or has this happened to anyone else what are some options here I can do?
Cajunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
There are helicoil kits available. Usually tho, this is going to require some $$$ and often requires pulling the head. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Heli-coil in a head is not easy to do. I would do some looking around as to which Heli coil you should use, like brands.

My 900 needs a Heli coil in the head too, I'll be taking mine to a shop to get done. That way if it's wrong I can be mad as them not me..
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
There are helicoil kits available. Usually tho, this is going to require some $$$ and often requires pulling the head. Good luck.
Honda said they could do the one on my w/o pulling the engine, would think the same in a car with relation to the head. I don't know though.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Honda said they could do the one on my w/o pulling the engine, would think the same in a car with relation to the head. I don't know though.
Sorry I used bad grammar. I meant to say there are helicoil kits and that can be done without removing the head (tho I wouldn't want the metal shavings in the head!!!). The proper way is to remove the head and properly fix it.

Or you could do the top gear fix and epoxy it in place. Lol
Old 12-31-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

Sorry I used bad grammar. I meant to say there are helicoil kits and that can be done without removing the head (tho I wouldn't want the metal shavings in the head!!!). The proper way is to remove the head and properly fix it.

Or you could do the top gear fix and epoxy it in place. Lol
Several ppl told me on the bike, to pack the right tap w/ grease. Do less then a 1/4 turn, back it out, clean repeat! Think I'll let a shop do it lol
Old 12-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I had the same problem with mines and it turned out my engine wireharness had a short in it...so if you can find a used one you should test it out before you do anything
504 Stang Rida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Blew a spark plug...

Well I figured I could get it done without pulling the head. Its in a easy spot for me to tap it. I was just wondering if anyone had used any specific helicoil kit.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've done it to my personal car and also to a couple of my customers car...if your doing it for the first time I HIGHLY recommend having enough money to get all new gaskets and sending the head to get decked...because the first time I tapped it with a kit from advance(I'll get you the part number later) everything went fine, but when I screwed in the tap sleeve I screwed it in just a little too far. So the piston was hitting it.
Frankensteins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well it looks like I can buy a Time-Sert kit like this... Amazon.com: M14 X 1.25 Time-Sert Extended Spark Plug Thread Repair Kit: Automotive It's 181 dollars I dont have... Way to start off the new year blown a spark plug out of my head and to top it all off its my birthday lol. Seems that I can't ever catch and break and yet another crappy year it will be for me... -end rant
Old 01-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

$181!!!! Dang!! That is wayyyy too much...the kit that advance auto parts has is $37! It comes with 3 different inserts so you can use the factory size spark plug. USE THE SHORTEST INSERT!!!! Trust
Me
Old 01-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankensteins
$181!!!! Dang!! That is wayyyy too much...the kit that advance auto parts has is $37! It comes with 3 different inserts so you can use the factory size spark plug. USE THE SHORTEST INSERT!!!! Trust
Me
Why the shortest insert?
Old 01-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunick

Why the shortest insert?
To match the depth of the spark plug tread length in the head
Old 01-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Buy Fix-A-Thred M14-1.25 Plug-Saver Kit - 1 each insert S, N, L 98141 at Advance Auto Parts

Is that what you used?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

For some reason I can't open up the link on my phone...I'll have to get on the computer and look at it, but the definition sounds right.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankensteins
For some reason I can't open up the link on my phone...I'll have to get on the computer and look at it, but the definition sounds right.
Well I had that set setting in my tool box from years ago when I worked at a dealership I installed a insert in a customers vehicle. I just didn't have the inserts and totally forgot how I did it because it was around 5 years ago lol. Anyway I figured it out and just went buy the small black solid insert and installed it tonight. Th spark plug is nice and tight I'm just letting the lock tight set until the morning. I'll say a little pray and start it then lol. ::cross fingers::
Old 01-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ok the beast is back on the road. I fixed it with that kit incase anyone was wondering/cared lol.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Several ppl told me on the bike, to pack the right tap w/ grease. Do less then a 1/4 turn, back it out, clean repeat! Think I'll let a shop do it lol
Was literally just gunna say this. I have done this 3 times on my 1995 now. No problems. Just take your time

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT