Stearing Issue... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Stearing Issue...

So I'm running 18x9 in the front and 18x10 in the rear (rims), I'm having issues with my front end following ruts in the road real bad. Has anyone had this issue and been able to solve it? I would like to keep the rim size that I'm running at the moment. I was looking into doing front end and suspension work to fix it, I don't have caster/camber plates but I drilled out the factory plates and had a buddy align it at his shop, seemed to help a little bit but didn't solve the issue.
lConnerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
The bigger the wheel the skinnier the tire is hitting the pavement, there is less rubber on road meaning there is less air between the tire and wheel, this makes for a bumpier ride
shsfresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not having an issue with bumps, my front wheels want to follow the ruts in the road, if I let go of the steering wheel my car likes to follow the grooves worn into the road and I have to stiff arm my steering wheel if the ruts/grooves are pretty deep. If I'm on a newly paved road it handles great, I've become used to this annoying trait of my Stang but I'd like to solve it. My last Stang did it too and it had factory tires and rims. So I'm thinking a design flaw in the 99 - 04 mustangs maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Generally speaking a wider tire is going to grab the road more so it's going to follow the grooves in the road. Also have you lowered the car and does your steering wheel jerk to one side or the other when hitting bumps or when hitting the brakes hard?
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Haven't lowered it yet and it kinda pulls to the right if I slam on the brakes, I think the caliper needs to be replaced for this though, my caliper guides were pretty nasty when I replaced the pads and rotors about 4 months ago. bumps have zero affect, other wise she steers great. It's just the grooves, and like I said it's annoying but I'm used to it. And I have to buy new rims in the near future so if I'm forced to decrease the width on the front tires I will then, damn chrome is pealing on the inside of the bead....
Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well i was thinking bump steer but since it's only happening when you brake it's probably not it could be but doubtful. I know you said you didn't have caster camber plates but make sure your camber is in spec you could have to much negative camber (wheels tucked in at the top towards the motor) so I would make sure it's in spec
Old 01-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It should be in spec or close to at least, I drilled out the factory plates so I could adjust caster/camber about a year ago before I left the dealership I worked at. I'm not really dealing with a bump steer issue, plow plow on the brakes I might deal with it a little but that front really needs to dive before I feel it, and even then I'm still leaning towards my right caliper starting to seise up on me. Aside from that my car just absolutely loves to follow the grooves in the road. There are times where it will jerk me into the next lane if the ruts in road are just right. I was thinking about installing aftermarket control arms and tie rod ends to see if that would have an impact, and if it doesn't I planned on switching to a coil over suspension so new control arms will have to be installed anyways.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

Wow I love my phone sometimes.... I have to plow on the brakes*
Old 01-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Make sure ur tire presures are perfectly even. The symptoms you described is how I know I need to check my tires.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

You might also want to check your wheel backs pacing and off set if its to far out of spec your front and rear tires may not be running in line with each other

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Backspacing* and by not inline I mean the center of the rear tire is not the center of the front tire not dog tracking
Old 01-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

As far as my tires go, they are only a year old, they are cheap federals, but it was the best i could do at the time, and they were still $175 a pop for the front and that was with a discount.... Tires for my car are not cheap.

Is there a way I can check that at home or would I need to take it to a shop?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT