2000 GT starting problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
2000 GT starting problem

My Dads 2000 GT wouldn't start the other day and we thought it was just the battery dead. Well we charged the battery all night and it has full charge and the car just cranks. I checked the IAC valve first it looked good but I had to leave. He's been messing with it all night and still nothing. I told him to try to spray some starter fluid in the intake to see if it's a fuel problem. He's done messing with it tonight but he will try tomarrow.

Any advice would help
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Ya check for fuel delivery, if that's ok then check the crank sensor.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Where is the crank sensor on these cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Next to AC compressor. Make sure the inertia switch isnt tripped. Check for the theft light flahing, if it is flashing while trying to start its a PATS fault
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickstang01
Next to AC compressor. Make sure the inertia switch isnt tripped. Check for the theft light flahing, if it is flashing while trying to start its a PATS fault
Well he did the security thing with the door locks and nothing. But the fuel inertia switch doesn't look tripped but how do we tell.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Push the button down. If it moves it was tripped. If nothing happens it wasn't tripped.
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT
Push the button down. If it moves it was tripped. If nothing happens it wasn't tripped.
Thx I will try that
Old 01-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ok it's not the fuel inertia switch. My thoughts now is to try to reset the computer by unhooking the batterie for 20min. Or it still could be the crank sensor. The car only has 64k miles on it so it's weird that this would happen to it. It rarely get driven so I don't think it could be a sensor.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
If its cranking fine I would suspect a fuel problem. Could be something as simple as a clogged fuel filter. I would check the easy stuff first if it was me. And if that doesn't work I would get a wiring diagram and check power to the fuel pump.
Cajunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well we are trying everything and nothing. Starting to think that now the car isn't recognizing the chip in the key and it's not starting g the car so one guy said to unhook the battery for a while to let the computer restart and it might start after that.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
My 00 v6 starts right up when it's above freezing but below it takes 3 to 6 tries depending on the day
Ilovemustangs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09
Well we are trying everything and nothing. Starting to think that now the car isn't recognizing the chip in the key and it's not starting g the car so one guy said to unhook the battery for a while to let the computer restart and it might start after that.
If that was the case then one of these two things u would happen. One the car would begin to start run for a second and die. Two the car would just crank and not start and you would see the anti theft light flashing. If you don't see your anti theft light flashing then you key is fine. If that all checks out okay I would start with your fuel filter like I said before take it off try to blow threw it.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

This is why i mentioned earlier to check for thr flashing theft light! Im betting thats the issue
Old 01-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Is the flashing theft light suppose to flash every time you put the key in? Mine does
Ilovemustangs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Check your fuel pressure.it should pressurize just turning the key forward.that is the.best way to tell if it is a fuel problem.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #16

Region: California
Am thinking inertia switch has gone bad. Happened to my buddy's stang it looked fine but I took mine out through it on his stang and it started right up. I talked to the guys at the dealership and they said those things go bad after awhile.
johnnybebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Jump the two wires going into the inertia switch. That will bypass it and tell you if its bad. My guess is still PATS issue
Old 01-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemustangs88
Is the flashing theft light suppose to flash every time you put the key in? Mine does
Yes, I believe so. Mine does the same until the car is started

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

$50 says its the Crank Position sensor... have someone listen to the fuel pump when u turn the key. U can take the key to a dealership and they can check it. But the last two time I delt with a car that just wouldn't start - it was the crank sensor.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Do you have (enough) spark?

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC
You need three things to fire it up:

1) Air
2) Fuel
3) Spark
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

You need three things to fire it up:

1) Air
2) Fuel
3) Spark
All of that is useless WITHOUT compression
Cobrarunnin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Checking your fuel pressure is easy. You can check it on your fuel rails. Mine is on the passenger side of the engine. It almost looks like a stem on a bike tube, if you press that down, it should spray fuel telling you that you have fuel pressure. Most people take a guage that reads the amount of pressure but you can check it by pressing it down.

If you need me too, ill post some pics of where its at. Let me know.
FORDGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrarunnin9s

All of that is useless WITHOUT compression
This does not sound like a compression issue.
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Ok we still can't pin point the problem on this car. It's still won't start. We can only mess with it on weekends so it's taking a while. Last weekend we couldnt work on it. So Saturday we couldn't hear the fuel pump prime at all so I'm guessing bad fuel pump. But other guys says it could be another problem because the car only has 67k miles on it. So could the crank sensor being bad shut off the pump from even priming?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think so. No. Definately check fuel pressure.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Your going to need a fuel gauge that fits ur fuel rail and check the pressure while cranking.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Ok just did the fuel pressure test it's "0" psi. But I'm told it could still be a bad sensor somewhere. Im pretty sure it's not the PATS thing, because when we start the car the theft light never comes on while cranking but is on when the key is in the on position. It could just be the pump but would hate to do all the work for nothing.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:
Ok just did the fuel pressure test it's "0" psi. But I'm told it could still be a bad sensor somewhere. Im pretty sure it's not the PATS thing, because when we start the car the theft light never comes on while cranking but is on when the key is in the on position. It could just be the pump but would hate to do all the work for nothing.
Did u check ur relay and fuses? Sometimes tapping the tank with a hammer will kick start a bad pump.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Ok it's not the fuel inertia switch. My thoughts now is to try to reset the computer by unhooking the batterie for 20min. Or it still could be the crank sensor. The car only has 64k miles on it so it's weird that this would happen to it. It rarely get driven so I don't think it could be a sensor.
If u want to reset ur cars computer all u have to do is unplug ur bat and pull ur head light on this will automaticlly drain the residual electric charge with in the cars electronics and reset the computer. In most cases it takes about 20-30 sec to do this but remember the car needs to re lern how to run after doing this which can take up to a 20 min highway drive to do.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Also grab a spark plug un hook ur coil wire and put a spark plug in the wire try turning the car over while some one watches for spark if u dont see any replace coil problem solved.

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

And if u ingage the ignition with the key but dont start the car u should hear the fuel pump prim the engine if u dont chances are u have a faulty pump. Replace pump car should start. If u do hear the pump ingageing chances are u have a fried coil (u dont have after market coils wires etc do u? I had the same problem on my 94 turns out it was the new msd coil i bought that was faulty slaped the origanil back on never looked back)
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk

If u want to reset ur cars computer all u have to do is unplug ur bat and pull ur head light on this will automaticlly drain the residual electric charge with in the cars electronics and reset the computer. In most cases it takes about 20-30 sec to do this but remember the car needs to re lern how to run after doing this which can take up to a 20 min highway drive to do.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Also grab a spark plug un hook ur coil wire and put a spark plug in the wire try turning the car over while some one watches for spark if u dont see any replace coil problem solved.
I already did the battery reset and nothing changed. The spark plug test ur talking about doesn't sound safe. I've heard not to ever do that.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

And if u ingage the ignition with the key but dont start the car u should hear the fuel pump prim the engine if u dont chances are u have a faulty pump. Replace pump car should start. If u do hear the pump ingageing chances are u have a fried coil (u dont have after market coils wires etc do u? I had the same problem on my 94 turns out it was the new msd coil i bought that was faulty slaped the origanil back on never looked back)
he already said 0 psi on the fuel pressure test.so its def a fuel issue.the best way to listen to the pump prime is to have someone else turn the key on and open the gas cap.put your ear up to it.sometimes u dont hear the pump in the car.the pats system could still cause the fuel pump not to kick on.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Then check for voltage to the fuel pump. At some point u should be able to get to the wiring, turn the ignition on and if there is voltage (12v) then it IS the pump.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Quote:

I already did the battery reset and nothing changed. The spark plug test ur talking about doesn't sound safe. I've heard not to ever do that.
Doesn't sound safe to me either but its always mechanics who recomend it to me.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8
Then check for voltage to the fuel pump. At some point u should be able to get to the wiring, turn the ignition on and if there is voltage (12v) then it IS the pump.
im not 100% on this but i would think if the pats system malfunctioned it would still not have voltage at the fuel pump.i dont know much about this particular system but i trouble shooted a different make and model and it would not send voltage to the fuel pump with the theft system malfunctioning.i would say most likely it is your fuel pump but cant be positive.you may be able to still check voltage to rule out fpr.if you dont have voltage then it is probably fuse,relay,faulty wirinig,or pats system.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I believe he has coil overs so even if one coil was fried, he would still be able to run the car.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Look check your fuses if all are good pull the connector on ur fuel pump check for 12 volts if u find power replace your fuel pump end of story.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT