what fluids to use? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
what fluids to use?

well i changed the rack an pinion steering on my mustang. when i was getting the fluids, i got power steering fluid. after i drained it and put the new one on and replaced the fluids, i realized it was red before not clear. i looked in my manual and it says mercon ATF. being that i have a mix of both in there now, should i flush it out?

also what is supposed to be used in the manual tranny. it says mercon atf for that too in the manual.
Bosaliniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #2

Region: Alabama
Re: what fluids to use?

I use A.T.F. for my tyrany with Lucas transmission stabilizer/aditive
HiSpeedGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Trans is widely debated if you have a 3650. Factory is mercon 3. Now they use mercon 5 as a replacement but its said thats not goo for it. Tremec recommends gm synchromesh or pennzoil sychromax. Some use royal purple but tremec claims thats not good for synchros, some use mobil one atf with good results. I personally use the pennzoil synchromax because tremec reccomends it and it has been the best reviewed by users as well
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
At the Ford dealer I work at we use tranns fluid instead of p/s fluid.
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the help guys. i dont have much time to get on so it takes me forever to read the replies. so should i flush the powersteering fluid/atf mix and put straight atf in?
Old 01-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosaliniee
thanks for the help guys. i dont have much time to get on so it takes me forever to read the replies. so should i flush the powersteering fluid/atf mix and put straight atf in?
I would say yeah if the fluid is dirty and you plan on keeping the car for a while!
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

its clean, just a mixture of the two fluids though.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

hey guys... i just did my fluid for the first time too. i believe mine is the 3650(drain plug is on bottom of case).

i used conventional dex3/merc as manual 'specifies' not merconV. also heard that synthetic not 'recommended'. my local tranny guy said i could prob go with AMSoil (he prefers it to RP) and the Lucas additive and have no probs.

any thoughts, as i don't mind pi$$ing away the original 17 bucks worth of a fluid to make my tranny happy !

joe
p.s. my other choice would have been pennz synchromax, mentioned by onesickstang01 above. any others w/experience?
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT