Ticking under load - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Ticking under load

Ok so the other day after I put my tune on I took my grandpa for a ride and took the car a little above 6K for the first time, when I did this and and shifted to second it had a tick so I let out. After that every time I floor the car or am driving normal in O/D and go up a hill and the does not downshift it will tick, It sounds like its comming from the front middle of the car. Could the stress of the rpms make my stock headers or H pype make a noise?
My mods/ AM CAI
Summit racing cat backs
Bama 87 tune
recent spark plugs and fuel filter.

Heres what it sounds like on this guys car, but mine is not that bad...

It does not make the sound when reving at idle!
MustangGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Just from the sounds of it I would say your car is detonating too early... Try putting it back in the stock tune and see if that stops the ticking. Another thought the tune may require a higher octane fuel and if you haven't put it in it could be what is causing it(the low octane gas)
Old 01-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Ticking under load

I will try the stock tune tomarrow, I have it set on 87 octane and thats what I use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
+1
Smokedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Sounds like to me you could possibly have a spark plug coming out. I had the same sound in a 01GT and let it go on for a while because I thought it was a exhaust leak. And one day driving down the road BOOM a spark plug flew out the head. Luckily it didn't damage the threads but it did it again and I had to have it heli-coiled. I would check spark plugs soon!
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC770
Just from the sounds of it I would say your car is detonating too early... Try putting it back in the stock tune and see if that stops the ticking. Another thought the tune may require a higher octane fuel and if you haven't put it in it could be what is causing it(the low octane gas)
Your right its the tuner, I will call bama later and tell them about Missouri's lovely winter blend
Old 01-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

How about leave the 87 tune in and use the 89 at the pump and see what that does?
FXDWG11bm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDWG11bm
How about leave the 87 tune in and use the 89 at the pump and see what that does?
Yah I think I will try a cheap fuel booster and see.if that works, cheaper than 89.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGT02

Yah I think I will try a cheap fuel booster and see.if that works, cheaper than 89.
Just so you know a fuel additive usually adds only tenths of a point to a tank of gas' octane rating.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well I got some O'Reilys octane booster that says it will treat 21 gallons, put it in the went back to the tune, I will post tomarrow if it works or not but it seamed to have helped when I drove around the block and I doubt its fully in the system yet.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well i drove today and did not hear it so hopefully I found a good solution.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I had detonation right after my initial tune, turned out to be bad gas... octane booster wont help FYI. Either pull timing (at given ranges or across the board) or go up in octane. DONT let it detonate.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGT02 View Post
Ok so the other day after I put my tune on I took my grandpa for a ride and took the car a little above 6K for the first time, when I did this and and shifted to second it had a tick so I let out. After that every time I floor the car or am driving normal in O/D and go up a hill and the does not downshift it will tick, It sounds like its comming from the front middle of the car. Could the stress of the rpms make my stock headers or H pype make a noise?
My mods/ AM CAI
Summit racing cat backs
Bama 87 tune
recent spark plugs and fuel filter.

Heres what it sounds like on this guys car, but mine is not that bad...

It does not make the sound when reving at idle!
Alot of times, a tune will uncover an issue that a stock tune will mask. Our 87 octane tunes are very conservative with timing, so I don't think it's because of an aggressive tune. A stock tune will mask these problems, and in order to add timing and gain power, you'll need to make sure something else isn't keeping that from being possible without detonation/pinging.

I would do a couple of things just to rule them out, and from there I can hook you up with a Bama team member who will diagnose and fix this for you!

First, the fuel filter is a really common quick fix for these issues. A dirty fuel filter is going to lower the quality of fuel before it gets to your engine. This could cause 87 octane fuel to be diluted down and possibly cause your issue. A fuel filter is a very inexpensive and easy thing to change out and may solve the issue completely.

The second things are both fairly common, as well. Cleaning your MAF sensor and cleaning your throttle body may also fix the problem. These two are also really easy and quick things that are common problems for performance tunes. Oil could be in the intake track and diluting the air/fuel mixture, or the MAF reading could be skewed because it's dirty and covered in air filter oil or other particles.

If you do those two things, and always make sure to fill up at a brand name gas station (Sunoco, Shell, BP) and stay away from no-name gas stations or convenience stores that bid on leftover fuel (Wawa, Sheets, 7 Eleven, Shore Stop, Duck Thrue, or whatever they're called in your area of the country) . These stations are known for advertising gas that is "bottom of the barrel" and can cause pinging.

From there, if you still have the problem (which I'm 90% positive you won't), I can have the Bama team make sure that everything is perfect in the tune file for you. Hit me up via PM or just post your reply right here and we'll go through the steps to fix it on our end, if we rule out the typical mechanical problems!

Good luck and I'll wait for your response!
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764 | Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
Need Help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
AMChrisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amchrisrose View Post
First, the fuel filter is a really common quick fix for these issues. A dirty fuel filter is going to lower the quality of fuel before it gets to your engine. This could cause 87 octane fuel to be diluted down and possibly cause your issue. A fuel filter is a very inexpensive and easy thing to change out and may solve the issue completely.
I put on a new motorcarft one on mid summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amchrisrose View Post
The second things are both fairly common, as well. Cleaning your MAF sensor and cleaning your throttle body may also fix the problem. These two are also really easy and quick things that are common problems for performance tunes. Oil could be in the intake track and diluting the air/fuel mixture, or the MAF reading could be skewed because it's dirty and covered in air filter oil or other particles.
I have cleaned my MAF and the car has a 1 month old EGR and I have cleaned the IAC with TB cleaner.
What is the best way to clean the TB? (I have almost a full can of TB cleaner on stand by)

I use three main gas stations around here, Connoco, Phillip 66, and QT. Next time I fill up I will pry use BP I have heared they are good.

Last, I put some octane booster in and it has helped a little as in going up a hill in OD it does it less but in the 1500 rpm range unlike before where it was the 1000-1600 range.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Ohh and the car has always had a quiet pop and twich at idle, I think I have a bad COP somewhere thats not throwing a code, would that affect it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT