Lifters - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

FORDGT14 is unknown around these parts
Lifters

Ok so i put brand new lifters in when i rebuilt my engine. Now i can hear one of them tapping on a cold start, it fades away after the car warms up. But it taps when i shift and almost any RPM. Is there anything i can do to make the tapping stop? Or do i need to pull the cams off and take my lifters back and get another set of new ones? These lifters are still under warranty, i just dont want to pull the cams if i dont have too. I thought about using some lucas oil on my 500 mile oil change which is coming up soon.

Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDGT14
Ok so i put brand new lifters in when i rebuilt my engine. Now i can hear one of them tapping on a cold start, it fades away after the car warms up. But it taps when i shift and almost any RPM. Is there anything i can do to make the tapping stop? Or do i need to pull the cams off and take my lifters back and get another set of new ones? These lifters are still under warranty, i just dont want to pull the cams if i dont have too. I thought about using some lucas oil on my 500 mile oil change which is coming up soon.

Any ideas?
Also, the engine is a 1999 4.6L 2V.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Jlt00bluegt is unknown around these parts
Someone might tell you different but I think it's just the nature of the beast caused more from the lash adjusters.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well the strange thing is that is never did this before the engine blew, and ive never had this problem with any of my other mustangs. Is there anything i can do to make it stop? It annoys the hell out of me lol
Old 01-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #4

02Mustang is unknown around these parts
My brother just went through the same exact problem. They tore apart his engine and found out his cams were too big for his valves. He had to get new cams.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Mustang
My brother just went through the same exact problem. They tore apart his engine and found out his cams were too big for his valves. He had to get new cams.
Oh damn..well like i said, i drove this car 4k miles after buying it before i had to rebuild it. And i never had this problem, and i reused the same cams that came out of it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT