Lowering Springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Lowering Springs

Is it OK to use lowering springs (C springs or B springs) with the stock shocks and struts?

-Denver
2002 Mineral Grey GT, 5-speed: MGW short throw, JLT CAI: SOLD
2002 Electric Green V6, Auto: SOLD
greenpony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Lowering Springs

with a spring that doesnt lower it much (1 inch or so) the stock ones will be fine. I would recommend getting MM cc plates that raise the strut shaft up a bit to compensate.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #3

Ive heard people say all sorts of things about this. I personally wouldn't keep the stock ones even for a 1 inch drop. If you plan on doing more racing I would go ahead and get a set of adjustables.
01pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

of course adjustable CC plates, and adjustable shock/struts would be the way to go if money was not important.
i put an Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Spring Set on my 01, with the Camber bolts (make sure they are tight), and everything else left stock, got it aligned and it seems to be fine.
lowering kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
with a spring that doesnt lower it much (1 inch or so) the stock ones will be fine. I would recommend getting MM cc plates that raise the strut shaft up a bit to compensate.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Its not the end of the world and your car wont blow up if you lower it with stock struts/shocks and the stock CC plates.. if you can actually call them cc plates.... as they dont do ****.

They will just wear out faster~ and your tires will wear uneven with out cc plates.

The MM cc plates let the strut shaft come up a bit more on its pivot point~ and higher up (well as high as it can without hitting the hood which you should check for)
Old 01-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

droping the car will tilt the wheels, which will make them wear uneven, if this can not be compensated for with the stock setup, you have to goto the bolts, if they cant compensate enough, then you have to go with the adjustable CC plates. The problem is you cant know how much compensation youll need beforehand. I think the springs i got dropped it 1-1.5" and the alignment shop said they were able to align them fine with the bolts and I havent noticed any uneven wear.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

the stock setup doesnt compensate for crap, there is no adjustment to the stock cc plates.

stock alignment specs are also not always best.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via MSN to ChrissyStang02 Send a message via Yahoo to ChrissyStang02

hmmm, good question. i've been wondering about that too as the GT is getting lowered soon. is it better to have the springs "cut" vs. getting c springs? i still have my stock shocks and struts for now too.

2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT ~Dominic~
MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust, CAI, Mach 1 Grille Delete and much more to come. ***Sold. New 5.0 GT coming soon!!!
ChrissyStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

from what i know (which is not much) getting springs cut is a pretty bootleg way to go about it, although a guy i work with has an 87 all modded up, somewhere around 1k horse (strictly track), that he cut the springs in
Old 01-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

It all depends on what you are looking for. A cut spring will make it have a higher spring
rate so cutting to much will make it have a very bouncy ride. NEVER heat up the spring to lower it, only cut if off with a cut off wheel (that includes a torch to cut it off, dont do that). It works good if you just care about looks and not handling.

C springs are about 650/300 rate vs stock around 400/200-300 so they make a big improvment. If the C springs are uncut I would cut some off them to get a better drop as stock you only get an inch... and well thats a let down after you see what an inch looks like.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to ChrissyStang02 Send a message via Yahoo to ChrissyStang02

thanks spec! good to know.

MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust, CAI, Mach 1 Grille Delete and much more to come. ***Sold. New 5.0 GT coming soon!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

one coil on the springs is generally not a big deal and worst case you buy lowering springs anyway~
Old 01-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

on the 05+'s, because ford actually went with an actual "coil-over" macpherson strut setup in the front end, you can get some camber adjustment within factory specs...all you have to do is slot the lower mounting point of the stock strut and use the OEM ford camber bolts which can be ordered through ford to adjust front camber approx. +/- 1-1.5 degrees or so...people claim different amounts...

thats one good thing about the 05+'s as far as auto-x and road-racing...negative camber is a necessity for those types of racing, especially on R-comp tires...and in stock classes, thats the only way to "legally" get camber out of the cars...you can't use any aftermarket camber adjustment methods...only things listed in the factory manual are permitted...

as far as the rear end goes, youre SOL...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you can notch the strut on the older stangs just like the new ones. CC plates are just a better option.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

thanks.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to black98gtvert

or u can go with the maximum motorsports starter box. it comes with blistein struts and schocks, springs and all the stuff you need to install and adjust. its about 1000 buck but its a great ride and handles like a dream. then weld in some subframe conectors and youre def. set for the street
black98gtvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by black98gtvert View Post
or u can go with the maximum motorsports starter box. it comes with blistein struts and schocks, springs and all the stuff you need to install and adjust. its about 1000 buck but its a great ride and handles like a dream. then weld in some subframe conectors and youre def. set for the street
I want one of those sets so much but i cant afford it right now and something is screwed somewhere in my stock left front suspension so i want to replace the whole set up. I was looking at eibach springs but i don't think that will fix anything so I am really hesitant. I think its my front left strut thats screwed anyway because the car bounces and dives to the left under really hard braking. plus something is vibrating (i can feel it in my feet but not the wheel) and makes this soft rattling/popping noise. I'm assuming i should just replace everything at once so as to not make it worse.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

throwing parts at a problem is not a good idea esp if your strapped for cash, you need to find out what the pblm is or take it to someone who can figure it out and fix that.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:27 AM   #20

everyone ive taken it to say nothings wrong or its something that i know for and absolute fact it is not. Im pretty sure its the strut. i had it bottom out today coming into my development but it was just the bad corner and nothing scraped it was just a thud from the strut bottoming out. and if i just replace everything it should take care of the problems im having.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:08 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil

What brand struts are you looking at?
Old 05-26-2008, 01:27 AM   #22

bilstien or eibach with the eibach springs. But then again i can get everything i need with a kit from MM so i dont know what i want to do. it doesnt help that i am broke on top of it all..
Old 05-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Bullitt Handling Kit.

400 or so bucks

C Springs, Shocks, Struts, and Sway Bars.

Cut the springs 1/2 coil and be happy?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to rwboring

^i'm not sure about that i never saw that kinda price on it... i bought my C springs for like 150$ took me like 4 hours to put on and 50$ to align... no plates and it made specs fine...
rwboring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:14 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I put the bullitt kit on my last car, great kit for the money. Cut a little off the springs and there ya go.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #26

No offense to anyone but i have no interest in cutting ANYTHING in the suspension. I refuse to cut springs because id rather pay for something thats quality, looks and rides how i want and that I am comfortable knowing its has not been compromised in anyway. I'm sure everything works out fine for you guys and I'm DEFINITELY not bashing you because i know plenty of guys that have cut springs, but its just my state of mind.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue2001 View Post
No offense to anyone but i have no interest in cutting ANYTHING in the suspension. I refuse to cut springs because id rather pay for something thats quality, looks and rides how i want and that I am comfortable knowing its has not been compromised in anyway. I'm sure everything works out fine for you guys and I'm DEFINITELY not bashing you because i know plenty of guys that have cut springs, but its just my state of mind.
Buying ones the correct size is definitely the safest route to take and nothing bad can be said about safety
Old 05-27-2008, 10:47 PM   #28
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Meh, cutting my springs fit my budget and rides the same as stock...and ditched the low rate vert springs since i used the higher rate coupe springs instead. Cutting is just as affective if you have a linear rate spring as buying lowering springs.

Now, with that said, I am about to order me a set of lowering springs mearly for the fact of getting some stiffer springs in the rear for traction/wheel hop purposes (the lowering springs are around 700 or 750s vs my current 600s).
Old 05-28-2008, 07:13 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to rwboring

+1... BUT for the price of like 150$ its not really worth cutting and trying to get them even... IMO... these aren't Hondas guys ... if you dont have the money to mod it right maybe you shouldn't buy the car in the first place... they make 93 hatchbacks everyday... well it still seems like it 2:
rwboring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #30
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwboring View Post
+1... BUT for the price of like 150$ its not really worth cutting and trying to get them even... IMO... these aren't Hondas guys ... if you dont have the money to mod it right maybe you shouldn't buy the car in the first place... they make 93 hatchbacks everyday... well it still seems like it 2:
Or, that $250 can go towards more important things like bushings and sub frames while you decide whether or not you are going to go coil over or not where that $250 spent would just be thrown out the window because the springs are useless in a coil over setup.

Also, when you have a budget, free mods are a great thing and the money saved can go towards other things.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Or, that $250 can go towards more important things like bushings and sub frames while you decide whether or not you are going to go coil over or not where that $250 spent would just be thrown out the window because the springs are useless in a coil over setup.

Also, when you have a budget, free mods are a great thing and the money saved can go towards other things.
Well Said Rob !!!!

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
Old 05-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #32
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
Well Said Rob !!!!
Well, it's spoken from the heart...cause that's what I did.

Now that I've decided against coil overs, I'll get the "real" lowering springs...besides, their stiffer like me...so less bounce in the trunk.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post

true, i have a set of eibach for sale because i went coilover.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #34
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS View Post
true, i have a set of eibach for sale because i went coilover.
Isn't kyle buying those from you? or did he change his mind on that too?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
besides, their stiffer like me...so less bounce in the trunk.
I went on a diet to control my trunk bounce

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT