Running lean - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Running lean

Fear I'm runnin a little lean. It's not that far off, but I think it's getting worse. I have a tuner and use 93gas. Also have o/r x-pipe with sensors turned off, so the computer can't reset a/f mix by itself.

How can I figure out if I am running lean? What are the signs/symptoms? And how can I fix it?

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
u could add octane boost and c if therez a difference, if , u feel a difference, ur running a little lean
shsfresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Engine will run warmer depending on how lean. Car might be running below normal rpm at idle. If u have the right tuner, you could record and/or look at the data.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
It should still pop a code even with the tune in it!.. If you have an SCT or Diablo Predator then you can still scan for any codes!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Running lean

This goes for me but Opposite! Im running Rich! Like Way rich at the rear.. I thought it was the O2 sensor but it doesn't look like it. I ran a scan the other day and now i think its the thermostat sensor
Old 01-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness
This goes for me but Opposite! Im running Rich! Like Way rich at the rear.. I thought it was the O2 sensor but it doesn't look like it. I ran a scan the other day and now i think its the thermostat sensor
Make sure ur MAF is clean, should be the cleanest part of ur car.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I was messing around with the COPs just a sec ago since I got home from work... I found that one of the COPs (cylinder 2 passenger side) was loose, and when I moved it around it caused the idle to surge and run rough, or to go back to regular idle and not run rough. I'm going to get up in the AM to take things apart and check the plugs. Doesn't quite address my possible running lean issue, but the rough idle has been scaring me recently. Lol

Old 01-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

ya better replace that coil before it has u limping home one day
Old 01-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8 View Post
ya better replace that coil before it has u limping home one day
I'ma take it apart first and test it before I just go buying COPs... Those things aren't cheap. Haha

Old 01-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

I'ma take it apart first and test it before I just go buying COPs... Those things aren't cheap. Haha
Good idea
Old 01-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Pulled all the COPs and plugs and everything was fine, reinstalled them. Actually found two hoses that were torn because the band clamps were too tight, cut them down and reinstalled with a tight but loose clamp. Also put Lucas Octane booster in an empty tank and filled up with 93, then seafoamed the engine. Idk which did it, but it's nice and quiet now. Still got a little vibration but I think that's normal for these mod motors since the cams can be degreed up to 14degrees off.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Cool! Glad its ok now. I think everyone with COPs should have a spare
Old 01-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Pulled all the COPs and plugs and everything was fine, reinstalled them. Actually found two hoses that were torn because the band clamps were too tight, cut them down and reinstalled with a tight but loose clamp. Also put Lucas Octane booster in an empty tank and filled up with 93, then seafoamed the engine. Idk which did it, but it's nice and quiet now. Still got a little vibration but I think that's normal for these mod motors since the cams can be degreed up to 14degrees off.
I'm getting ready to do the seafoam thing to my car it probably needs it but I have friends that say not too. Give me your opinion please.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09 View Post
I'm getting ready to do the seafoam thing to my car it probably needs it but I have friends that say not too. Give me your opinion please.
I've done it to my car twice in the past year. It makes it run smoother and quieter(the engine). There are tons of people who say to not do it, and tons who swear by seafoam as a godly liquid. It's never gave me any problems, and it's only made things better. So I will continue using it. That's my two cents. :p

Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
I dont understand the whole seafoam thing ive never evr done it to a car abd never had to if the car wasnt working right it usually was because something needs adjusting and or replacing as for the other "quick fix" put this in and be amazed stuff ive allwas been of the "sucker born every min" minded about them.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
I dont understand the whole seafoam thing ive never evr done it to a car abd never had to if the car wasnt working right it usually was because something needs adjusting and or replacing as for the other "quick fix" put this in and be amazed stuff ive allwas been of the "sucker born every min" minded about them.
Idk about all that. My buddy had an extra can laying around and showed me how to use it, and it smoked the entire block out with white smoke. Then everything ran smooth and qiet. And this is the second time I've done it, almost a year later, and it made almost no smoke(since it was already clean). Idk if it works or not, but it doesn't hurt anything, and for $10, it's worth the placebo effect at least. I like it.

Oh, and I never used seafoam because things weren't working right. I used it just as a general maintenance thing. Never to solve or diagnose a problem.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
Quote:

Idk about all that. My buddy had an extra can laying around and showed me how to use it, and it smoked the entire block out with white smoke. Then everything ran smooth and qiet. And this is the second time I've done it, almost a year later, and it made almost no smoke(since it was already clean). Idk if it works or not, but it doesn't hurt anything, and for $10, it's worth the placebo effect at least. I like it.

Oh, and I never used seafoam because things weren't working right. I used it just as a general maintenance thing. Never to solve or diagnose a problem.
For me id have to understand what it is in it and what its saposed to do (but ive never bothered actually reading a can) befor i could see any real benafit so for now lets just say to each his own if it works for you have at er.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:23 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I just read about sea foam and I can understand why there are people who like it and people who dislike it. My ramcharger desparatly needs an engine rebuild or at least new piston rings. I have to put extreemly thick oil and about 50% lucas oil to keep it from drinking oil. So there is a sludge buildup at the rings acting as a seal so if I put sea foam in it, it would remove all of that and start smoking again and will have low compression.
Now, if I put it in my mustang, cleaning all that varnish buildup etc, would be a good thing.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

After you seafoam isn't it recommended to change the oil just asking. My car has 90k miles on it so I'm just nervous on how much is built up in it.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09

After you seafoam isn't it recommended to change the oil just asking. My car has 90k miles on it so I'm just nervous on how much is built up in it.
Yes. If you put seafoam in the crank case then change the oil within 100miles.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes. If you put seafoam in the crank case then change the oil within 100miles.
Ok thanks I will do that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT