Opinion Please!!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Opinion Please!!!!

When I bought my GT the seller told me he used Mobil 1 synthetic oil....Is there any way to find out if he did?????
Anthony06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Re: Opinion Please!!!!

Change the oil lol I went to change mine and found a P.O.S. oil filter that is smaller than the motorcraft one and the oil I dont even want to know what cheap stuff it was. After I changed the oil I swear the motor acted like it was realeaved. I used all motorcraft (5w20)
MustangGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGT02
Change the oil lol I went to change mine and found a P.O.S. oil filter that is smaller than the motorcraft one and the oil I dont even want to know what cheap stuff it was. After I changed the oil I swear the motor acted like it was realeaved. I used all motorcraft (5w20)
Good one,lol, I just didn't want to waste the money on synthetic oil if the car never used it....big difference with regular oil and synthetic price wise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony06 View Post
Good one,lol, I just didn't want to waste the money on synthetic oil if the car never used it....big difference with regular oil and synthetic price wise
Even the cheapest oil on the market will work fine for lubricating the car for at least 6,000 miles. The question is what type of filter was used? The filter is the important part.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

Even the cheapest oil on the market will work fine for lubricating the car for at least 6,000 miles. The question is what type of filter was used? The filter is the important part.
I usually use Castrol , but if the previous owner used the synthetic since the car was new, would it cause a problem if I put in regular oil???
Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony06 View Post
I usually use Castrol , but if the previous owner used the synthetic since the car was new, would it cause a problem if I put in regular oil???
I've often wondered that myself. In-fact I was thinking that earlier today.

To be honest I don't change my own oil. The dealer sends me coupons for $25.00 and I'm like it's almost as cheap for them to do it w/o the hassle.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony06

Short answer!.. No!...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Short answer!.. No!...
Ok...sounds good, thanks...
Old 01-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok...sounds good, thanks...
Just remember like some one else said!.. Don't get some pos filter!.. Get a quality one, because that is one of the bigger things!.. And a good petroleum based oil would last about 5000-6000 miles!..
Old 01-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Just remember like some one else said!.. Don't get some pos filter!.. Get a quality one, because that is one of the bigger things!.. And a good petroleum based oil would last about 5000-6000 miles!..
I usually buy Fram, never had a problem with it
Old 01-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I usually buy Fram, never had a problem with it
Fram is a good one!... It's what my dad usually gets too!...
Old 01-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

last I checked, syntech, is designed for higher engine temps. Lower engine temps dont need syn. why? because it takes high temps to make syn useful in your motor (oil particles/components dont break down till temp is reached). What is considered high temps? Well, stop and go traffic with high perf eng. for one, racing is another, high output engines for another, and more. Those were uses, but I cannot prove it anymore because that kind of info used to be common 15 years ago, and conserved today. Advice, use recommended oil. Many factory engines are designed to use the lowest grade oil and fuel. If your user manual says use 87 octane, then syntech is not for you. If you are using midgrade, then syntec offers some protection for your money. Ask any ASE certified mechanic about engine oil and they will tell you to just ensure you have enough oil in the engine. Out with the old wives tale of syn vs conventional. Just avoid running out of engine oil!

Hope that helped because that is my opinion per your request. Will gladly accept scientific input to prove otherwise. Lubricant is lubricant, except following manufacturer spec is important. Like Anthony06 said, a good oil filter goes a long way. I use K&N and reuse for 2 oil changes then I dump it. I'm happy and no issues over the last year; 96K and counting. Yep, I have a K&N for 1 year now, and will change at next oil change.

---las97GT
LAS97GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #13
Staff
Blogger
Staff

^ that makes sense.

Ford puts in Motorcraft 5w30 syn blend, with motorcraft filter.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT
last I checked, syntech, is designed for higher engine temps. Lower engine temps dont need syn. why? because it takes high temps to make syn useful in your motor (oil particles/components dont break down till temp is reached). What is considered high temps? Well, stop and go traffic with high perf eng. for one, racing is another, high output engines for another, and more. Those were uses, but I cannot prove it anymore because that kind of info used to be common 15 years ago, and conserved today. Advice, use recommended oil. Many factory engines are designed to use the lowest grade oil and fuel. If your user manual says use 87 octane, then syntech is not for you. If you are using midgrade, then syntec offers some protection for your money. Ask any ASE certified mechanic about engine oil and they will tell you to just ensure you have enough oil in the engine. Out with the old wives tale of syn vs conventional. Just avoid running out of engine oil!

Hope that helped because that is my opinion per your request. Will gladly accept scientific input to prove otherwise. Lubricant is lubricant, except following manufacturer spec is important. Like Anthony06 said, a good oil filter goes a long way. I use K&N and reuse for 2 oil changes then I dump it. I'm happy and no issues over the last year; 96K and counting. Yep, I have a K&N for 1 year now, and will change at next oil change.

---las97GT
I'll probably use the Castrol GTX, I used it in all my previous cars...and I'll probably get the K&N oil filter...thanks for the info
Old 01-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

K&N filter is a good choice. I hate FRAM! I have had one split completely down one side and another that came with stripped threads and wouldnt tighten down
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Never heard of an oil filter that had worn or distorted threads, or split down the side for that matter. Sounds like your area got a bad batch from the factory. Hope you went back for a refund or notified the vendor of the defect. I wouldn't lose faith in Fram though.

About the k&N oil filter, I removed it at each oil change (1x) and emptied the used oil from the filter before I replaced it. Now I just observe the oil color and texture before I change it. Being too careful costs money, being lazy does too. I always remember that engines are not alive just engines and treat it as such. Used to be written in older manuals. LOL.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

LOL, I finally got the joke. Motor relieved?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT