Oil Leak. Like, A lot of it. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Oil Leak. Like, A lot of it.

My car won't keep oil in it!! I got it changed like 4 months ago and decided a few days ago to check it. shoulda a long time ago, because now, It says the tanks empty!? I JUST put 4 quarts in 2 days ago, and it again says its empty!! This is ridiculous guys! Its clicking or ticking or whatever you wanna call it, and performs like crap. its a 4.6 V8 btw.. Please help..

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Ok nevermind. I just checked to make sure there wasn't any oil and it Seems to be full!? But it still clicks and ticks and stuff!!??
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Oil Leak. Like, A lot of it.

So...does it have oil in it or not?...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

is the oil filter double gasketed?
Cobrarunnin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I Says it has a full tank?! I only put 4 quarts in though and it holds 5..but how do i check??
Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness
I Says it has a full tank?! I only put 4 quarts in though and it holds 5..but how do i check??
The owners manual says it takes 6qts with oil filter.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Why are you driving it when it is leaking a ton of oil? Like they said above check the oil filter

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness View Post
Even when the dipstick is no longer reading any oil there is still some in the engine and through the system leading to the oil filter. That is how you are reading full after adding 4qt.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

most dipsticks are 1 quart sticks, meaning when dry your are atleast 1 quart low.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Look at the oil filter adapter, 4.6's are common for the gasket to leak, as a matter of fact mine has a small leak on it now, a drop or two here and there, but I check all my fluids everyday just to be cautious. Do that and let us know.
01StangGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness
The 99 to 04 4.6 2valve engines require exactly 4.8 liters (5.1 US quarts) of oil. This includes filling the filter. This completely fills the crankcase as well.

Are you using the correct viscosity of oil? What kind of climate is the car exposed to? Did you run the car with no oil?

Depending on the climate you live in and the type of oil used, either could cause a knocking sound. So could lack of oil or a blown engine.

I suggest that if you've verified the correct amount and grade of oil, the next step should be a leak down or compression test. Either test should tell you if you have serious issues. A compression test will tell you if you have ring problem(s). A leak down test will tell you if you have a valve seal/spring problem(s). Either way, you'd be burning oil (blue smoke out of the exhaust pipe) especially if your rings or exhaust valve seals are shot.

Hopefully I'm way off and the knocking you're hearing can be corrected using thicker (more viscous) oil.

Either way, good luck!
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I am using 5w20 which is what the dude at NAPA said to use. I have no clue what jiffy lube used but he assumed it was because thats the recommended oil. I put the car into the garage to work for maybe 2 hours and got a puddle of oil about 5 in. around. I am not driving it anymore because of that. do you think that maybe jiffy lube put in different oil and i put in different oil? That would suck... but i know how to drain it an all so i will if i have to. Its pretty cold here still but gets pretty warm throughout the day...I am going to see if the drain plug is leaking first.. and if not, I am going to check all the gaskets.. Where would i do that again though? the oil filter is easily accessible and i can handle cleaning and buying new gaskets.. maybe this will help with my other problems to!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If you're leaking that much oil, check at the filter. Sometimes the rubber gasket from the old filter gets stuck and stays on the car when taking the old filter off. What this happens, the new filter does not seal and causes a huge leak. I wouldn't even drive the car until checking that first. Check the drain plug as well and make sure it's snug--not super tight, but snug.

If it's the filter, have someone help you jack the car up. Remove it and check to make sure there is only one rubber gasket. Check the filter and on the car. If the old gasket is there, take it off and throw way. Put the new filter on (snug), lower the car, top up the oil, start it and check for leaks.

Good luck
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC
If you're leaking that much oil, check at the filter. Sometimes the rubber gasket from the old filter gets stuck and stays on the car when taking the old filter off. What this happens, the new filter does not seal and causes a huge leak. I wouldn't even drive the car until checking that first. Check the drain plug as well and make sure it's snug--not super tight, but snug.

If it's the filter, have someone help you jack the car up. Remove it and check to make sure there is only one rubber gasket. Check the filter and on the car. If the old gasket is there, take it off and throw way. Put the new filter on (snug), lower the car, top up the oil, start it and check for leaks.

Good luck
I have a beemer i can drive, so i wont be driving the mustang. But ill do that after thursday on my weekend. So new gaskets, and oil filter?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

So it was the Oil Pressure Sender Unit. I heard that when they go to crap, they leak a ton of oil. So i swapped it out and now it runs great! However now it has a ticking sound...
Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

That ticking is most likely a lash adjuster, now the best thing to do is replace it, if that's what it is. Don't just compensate by adding a different viscosity oil to your engine because this will just cause you to damage your main bearings in the long run.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrarunnin9s View Post
That ticking is most likely a lash adjuster, now the best thing to do is replace it, if that's what it is. Don't just compensate by adding a different viscosity oil to your engine because this will just cause you to damage your main bearings in the long run.
How much do those usually run? I don't know what it is or what it does...
Old 02-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

There like 10 bucks a piece and they took the place of the litters. They just have one little part that moves up and down with the cam follower on the opposite side of the valve.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT