04 gt shifter still sticking... some advice? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Cool 04 gt shifter still sticking... some advice?

hey all... just registered, wanted 2 try this out. i had been having trouble with stick shift sticking (esp. when cold out). usually worst going into first, 1st to 2nd, or going into reverse. SO, i figured first thing to do was drain and fill(never done, 52K on the car). i did it(100x easier than on my old AOD t'bird) and used conventional dex3/mercon. i can say it seems a 'little' better, but still get some resistance in same as above.

i don't believe it's the clutch, or clutch adjust(catches around 1/2 to 1 in. from floor, right where i like it). have no other abnormal noises or function from tranny, so am wondering if some additive may help, or if fluid level should be changed slightly (more OR less)? otherwise, new (short throw!) shifter alone fix prob??? any input greatly appreciated!
joe v
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Re: 04 gt shifter still sticking... some advice?

you changed the fluid , it could be a stretched clutch cable or clutch ,worst case :bad synchros /
the type of shifter has nothing to do with your problem ,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

thx for getting back at me... hoping it wasn't synchro, or worse yet, shaft or TO bearing?! outside of taking to dealer or other mech, how would i tell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Does it grind at all when you put it in gear?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

never grinds, and no chatter (or anything unusual ever from the trans)

fyi, just this morning for kicks (it was 26 degrees over night) i went out and without starting car, just pressed clutch in and tried putting into first. i had good deal of resistance at even moderate hand pressure. i had to push it hard to get it into first.

then started car, and same stuff; just trying to put into gear required effort(1st, 2nd, and rev seeming the worst). if that's of any 'diagnostic' help.

i am thinking of taking it dealer dealer just for their opinion if they'll be good enuff to just take a look and test drive it...
Old 02-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It sounds like your cable is stretched. Me and a friend ran into the same problem on his GT. We replaced the clutch and it didn't fix the problem.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

hey JDF... thanks for getting back. no, i didn't think it was the clutch(i don't want to lay out the cash for that as i'm thinking of making some minor engine mods first). i'll take a look at my cable adjustment or the cable itself.

not sure what i'm really looking for yet(how to tell if stretched) but i'll do some searchin' around, or ask one of my buds for their input... elsewise(again) i'll try to get dealer to inspect/diagnose for me (as much as i hate to do that)

good news is i guess, if just a new cable and subsequent install and adjust, take the clutch money for my throttle body, shifter, and hopefully new exhaust!

joe
Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
From my experience sounds like clutch cable is stretched but when I've taken them off the car I've never been able to tell the difference in a stretched one maybe someone on.here can correct me if im wrong
sean03gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked
hey JDF... thanks for getting back. no, i didn't think it was the clutch(i don't want to lay out the cash for that as i'm thinking of making some minor engine mods first). i'll take a look at my cable adjustment or the cable itself.

not sure what i'm really looking for yet(how to tell if stretched) but i'll do some searchin' around, or ask one of my buds for their input... elsewise(again) i'll try to get dealer to inspect/diagnose for me (as much as i hate to do that)

good news is i guess, if just a new cable and subsequent install and adjust, take the clutch money for my throttle body, shifter, and hopefully new exhaust!

joe
Do you have the firewall adjuster?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

i will have to go it and see what the setup on cable at firewall looks like today... i thought the auto-adjust mechanism was under dash above the clutch itself.

i had tried reading up, and doing the manual adjustment, just like the owners manual suggests also, by pulling up foot pedal(seems to me, that can only be done if clutch is loose/maladjusted to begin with. i tried pulling up, but couldn't because it already sits at highest point naturally. if i pulled any harder i would broken my foot) and slowly pressing back down, but i never did hear any 'click', so don't know if that actually did anything.

sorry for the run on sentence there; just wanted to explain it best i could!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i will have to go it and see what the setup on cable at firewall looks like today... i thought the auto-adjust mechanism was under dash above the clutch itself.

i had tried reading up, and doing the manual adjustment, just like the owners manual suggests also, by pulling up foot pedal(seems to me, that can only be done if clutch is loose/maladjusted to begin with. i tried pulling up, but couldn't because it already sits at highest point naturally. if i pulled any harder i would broken my foot) and slowly pressing back down, but i never did hear any 'click', so don't know if that actually did anything.

sorry for the run on sentence there; just wanted to explain it best i could!
I was just makin sure. The quadrants have a tendency to go bad so people upgrade to aftermarket ones the have an adjuster on the firewall.

It sounds like everything has been adjusted correctly so my guess is that the cable is stretched out
Old 02-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the info... get back to you later.

fyi, was out in the car for couple hours, about 100 miles, and ambient temp reached 40-45, and i haven't nearly the great difficulty shifting or just putting into gear at a stop... if that's of any great significance
Old 02-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Is it possible that you got some moisture in your cable and that's freezing?
Old 02-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

hey JD... you know that's starting to make sense. looked at AM JCW and rockauto; holy $4!t, 150-200 bucks for a cable?!

anyway, didn't get to look yesterday, but i am assuming the stock cable did not have firewall adjuster... will see if there is any room left on the quadrant today.

was thinkin' if i do need it, maybe steeda adjustable clutch cable? THEN, the new short shifter!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
hey JD... you know that's starting to make sense. looked at AM JCW and rockauto; holy $4!t, 150-200 bucks for a cable?!

anyway, didn't get to look yesterday, but i am assuming the stock cable did not have firewall adjuster... will see if there is any room left on the quadrant today.

was thinkin' if i do need it, maybe steeda adjustable clutch cable? THEN, the new short shifter!
That sounds like a plan. I haven't looked at any of the adjustable cables out there because I've been fortunate enough to have not broken anything clutch related. However Steeda is always a good company to but from.

What short throw are you lookin at?
Old 02-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

hey... GOODNEWS! took to local tranny guy i trust(funny thing was, while browsing posts here yesterday his name and local phone showed up in some ad box above, so i HAD to call him!). what he said was "it goes in like butter", and that there's nothing wrong! i swore to him i occasionally have to fight with stick sometimes(it happened later in day, just trying to slide into 2nd before going into 1st at a stop light) but whatever. he did say if it makes me(and my tranny!) feel better, to switch to AMSoil synthetic with an additive, maybe Lucas, and spend my money on something else till it really goes bad! he also said new s-t shifter not a bad idea if i had the $cratch

SO, first thing i'm ordering is CAIK. prob k+n, but was considering airraid too. i'd really rather have the granatelli tube and steeda 'open nose' filter, but may require more work, and that 's if they'd even fit together. i really just want plug 'n play. also want new throttle body and possibly plenum AND a spacer! i also think i may need new struts and rear shocks while i'm at it(slight scalloping of tires and alignment is good). got any experience doing those? i think shocks will be easy, a little leary about the strut thing as i do this stuff myself, in my driveway! thx

joe
p.s. i may open a separate thread on these
Old 02-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Oil might fix it. Hopefully it does. I'd you get a short throw, then I recommend Steeda Tri-Ax or maybe an MGW of you want to dump a lot of ash on it. I can't say I've done anything to my car that you just listed, however I have earned my certification in suspension (not full ASE sadly) and most of it is really simple. Definitely something you can do in your driveway. The CAI I have no clue a bought I bought my Mustang with a K&N cai installed already so I can't say anything about that other than everybody seems to recommend JLT. I've heard that Intake Spacers are a waste of money, again no experience on them. However I do know that you should see some HP gains from a throttle body and plenum.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

hey, thanks again! yes, the steeda tri-ax IS the one i had my eye on!

i'll check out JLT again; i think i did look at it and looked pretty nice too. i am partial to k+n though. the other ones that looked good were the bbk, and stack units.

i may hit ya up again about the suspension at some point; i know the rear shocks should be really pretty easy, and the front struts(no coil-overs or camber plates 4 me though!) HOPEFULLY not too bad either. (just don't wanna drop my a-member or catch a spring in the face!). don't want to throw my alignment off

gotta run- happy Sunday!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

That works for me

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT