Strange Problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Strange Problem

Last night it was cold and snowing a little bit in south jersey. I had the defrost on full blast and was going to back out my driveway. When I put it in reverse (auto trans), the rpm went so low that it almost as if it were going to stall out, but a second later went back to its normal rpm. From that point the car acted normally, except when stopped at lights I feel the car shake just enough to notice, and doesn't automatically roll forward as much as before when I let off the brakes

Any ideas?
1997 Ford Mustang GT (Rio Red) (RMR #7832)

2003 Ford Mustang GT Centennial Edition (Black) (SOLD)
2004 Ford Mustang GT (Redfire) (SOLD)
1985 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe (Red) (SOLD)
TheJigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Misfiring
bobsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Intermittent misfire? The exhaust sounded normal. How so?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: Strange Problem

dirty fuel filter or old plugs

Northern Virginia Mustang Club
Silver Mustang Registry #1045
2010 Brilliant Silver 4.0 V6 Traded and will be missed
2011 Performance White Premium GT 5.0 6MT, 19" Machined Wheels, 3.73 gears, GT500 Axle-Backs, Eibach Pro Springs, Dynojet #'s 387rwhp/380 tq.
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Sounds more like your idle air control valve ( IAC ), because if it were misfiring it would shake at acceleration but your say it does it at a full stop. That would be the IAC clogged up. Either you can replace it or take it off and clean it out with carb cleaner.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. So out of the suggestions I'm going to tackle this in this order:

1) IAC
2) Spark Plugs
3) Oil Filter

So where is the IAC so I know where to pull it off?

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09
Sounds more like your idle air control valve ( IAC ), because if it were misfiring it would shake at acceleration but your say it does it at a full stop. That would be the IAC clogged up. Either you can replace it or take it off and clean it out with carb cleaner.
It's only at a dead stop, and immediate take-off, then sorts itself back to normal as I drive along.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJigShow
Ok. So out of the suggestions I'm going to tackle this in this order:

1) IAC
2) Spark Plugs
3) Oil Filter

So where is the IAC so I know where to pull it off?

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

It's only at a dead stop, and immediate take-off, then sorts itself back to normal as I drive along.
The IAC is off your throttlebody. I suggest getting the Haynes manual on your stang. Its amazing!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Haha well funny you mention that. I do have one. I just haven't touched it in a long time. Thanks for bringing it up!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJigShow View Post
Haha well funny you mention that. I do have one. I just haven't touched it in a long time. Thanks for bringing it up!
Forsure Man! I Love mine. It helps a Ton. Definitely with cleaning parts like That as well. I cleaned my CAI, ThrottleBody, and IAC so far with it, and they perform like new. If only i could get this serious Oil issue dealt with, as well as my Scanner Error code dealt with
Old 02-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness

Forsure Man! I Love mine. It helps a Ton. Definitely with cleaning parts like That as well. I cleaned my CAI, ThrottleBody, and IAC so far with it, and they perform like new. If only i could get this serious Oil issue dealt with, as well as my Scanner Error code dealt with
True true. I've used it on numerous occasions on my old car. Best book I've bought haha. I'll try cleaning the IAC and let you know how it goes.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJigShow

True true. I've used it on numerous occasions on my old car. Best book I've bought haha. I'll try cleaning the IAC and let you know how it goes.
I have the Chiltons manual as well, so i figure between the 2 i can do Anything hahah
Old 02-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Here is some photos and a site to check out.

Name:   image-4013208150.png
Views: 130
Size:  87.8 KB

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/3ekg6...ion-thats.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1026698871.png
Views:	66
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	40405  
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Also check ur tps or sounds like fuel filter or dirty injectors
dmax8709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Hello bud,

I absolutely don't know what.s is up with your Stang, but I sure hope you get it resolved. What I can talk about is the Haynes Manual, I think its a bunch of crap (here goes) that treats the DIY like a sissy by not including critical info needed to solve DIY porblems. I have run into dead ends because of it. I hate it, and think that Haynes should be avoided. No-a-days I go to All data. Hanyes suck for the DIY-with-a-touch-of-pro. We all eventually become pros with our Stangs because we care about them. Gimme a holler if you can't solve it.

Stang worshiper.

Las
Old 02-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT
Hello bud,

I absolutely don't know what is up with you Stang but I sure hope you get it resolved. What I can talk about is the Haynes Manual, I think its a bunch of crap (here goes) that treats the DIY like a sissy. I have run into dead ends because of it. I hate it, and think that Haynes should be avoided. No-a-days I go to All data. Hanyes suck for the DIY with a touch of pro.

Stang worshiper.

Las
Totally disagree, but everyone has their opinions about it. Never let me down and I do EVERYTHING to my car that needs done. From clutches to brakes to gearing, by manual is right there beside me.
01StangGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hello bud,

I absolutely don't know what.s is up with your Stang, but I sure hope you get it resolved. What I can talk about is the Haynes Manual, I think its a bunch of crap (here goes) that treats the DIY like a sissy by not including critical info needed to solve DIY porblems. I have run into dead ends because of it. I hate it, and think that Haynes should be avoided. No-a-days I go to All data. Hanyes suck for the DIY-with-a-touch-of-pro. We all eventually become pros with our Stangs because we care about them. Gimme a holler if you can't solve it.

Stang worshiper.

Las
How do u go about getting all data? I heard a lot of good things about it
Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Just google it. Beware, DIY Is not what It was 20 yrs ago. We are heavily restricted now. All data is best when purchased as a pro mech. I am US mil so I use spec facilities. Hit me up & I'll do what I can bro.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

K thanks. I just do basic things myself and i have a personal mechanic to do everything else. Im good at stereo's and changing oil lol.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up Re: Strange Problem

OK, got it. Does it tell you how to service a hydroboost brakes and power steering system (model year)? Does it tell you how to remove stock manifolds? Does it tell you how to drop your tranny? It does not. It treates DIY like sissys. Period. I chucked mine. I do agree however that its good for trouble shooting stock apps. nothing more.

BTW, it does not allow for engine rebuild lik Chiltons does. What gives?

Haynes conveniently leaves out dealer level maintenence fixes. I remember the first time I got my hands on a Chiltons manual when I had my first ever car, a miniman, I had repairs done far exceeding my extended warranty purchase. Yep, they were mad. That was 11 years ago. Today, the manuals are more limited.

moving beyond the manual, takes some resourcing to save money.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OK, got it. Does it tell you how to service a hydroboos brakes and power steering system? Does it tell you how to remove stock manifolds? Does it tell you how to drop your tranny? It does not. It treates DIY like sissys. Period. I chucked mine. I do agree however that its good for trouble shooting stock apps. nothing more.

BTW, it does not allow for engine rebuild lik Chiltons does. What gives?
So u would rather have a chilton or haynes book?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Naw, you can do more. That's the fun of it. Learning first, then applying. I do it. Can't forget my first tranny drop. Was painful. My Stang had a genuine bi**h bolt on the starter. Learned the use of a 2 foot long extension too. Fun, makes your achievements worthwhile too. "Drive it like you built it"!!

Haynes manuals suck even for my other car a dodge neon. I can drop the tranny and replace in 4 hours flat in 95 degree heat (pro spec).
!!!

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

I use Alldata because chiltons are hard to find in my area.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

My MWR facility has Pro AllData available for my use. That offers a unique advantage over yours. Haynes is fine but not the best.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Ok, here is the fix. Pull you T-body. Carefully remove the throttle position sensor (TPS). If it won't separate by just gently pulling, take great care to separate to preserve the gasket. Clean TPS carbon deposits with a Q-tip, use limited amount of WD-40. never used brake cleaner but that's up to you. Problem with TPS is that you cannot lubricate them. Essentially, you need to ensure free movement of the valve. The AIS sends fine tuned adjustments signals needed to calibrate air/fuel ratios when the engine is at idle. After idle, your accel pedal takes over (lets more air into the combustion chambers). This concept is covered in engine tuning. The AIS only affects engine idle. Faulty AIS problems tends to diminish at full operating temps. Essentially, the problem is carbon buildup. Idle ctrl is activated when ever the clutch is depressed or in automatics (not certain) when the brake pedal is depressed. In manuals, the engine dies when the clutch is depressed. Cleaning the AIS usually solves the problem untill it is clogged beyond cleaning. The unit is usually sealed, so eventully, a replacment is necessary. MTF.

Las
Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I too use all data ( work at pep boys) and yes it can be very useful but since the update to it, I think it sucks now. I just replaced a clutch and flywheel on a 2003 gt and took roughly 4 hours, nice to have lifts and all the proper tools! To me the best way to learn is just going in head first and getting your hands dirty. Anyways when you do clean the tb and iac it is very important to make sure the base idle is right. If your start it up and the Rpms are hight and take a while to drop back down after doing the cleansing the the base idle is your issue. Just throwing in what I do know.
01StangGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the help guys. I have the Haynes issue, but not the others. I love doing my own work, but luckily as a hand, especially to help me learn, I have a personal mechanic as one of my friends. Also, he's also the one who I bought the car from, so he knows little things about how that particular car behaves more than anyone. He claims it's either the throttle body or the IAC, and I'm going to clean them as soon as I can.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT