Rear Main Seal? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Last time I had my car on the lift my buddy pointed out that the rear main seal was leaking. I asked him what to do about it and being the smartass he is he said, "It's only a Mustang. Leave it a lone and let the rear-end explode. No one will care." I still don't know if he was joking. Haha.

I digress; what do I do about this issue? Just buy a new rear main seal? How hard is it to replace and do you have to drop the tranny for it? Where is it even located? I thought he was talking about the rear diff... But I've been reading people changing the seal when the tranny comes out. Or did they just mean because the driveshaft will be out already and it'd be easier to get to the seal? Also heard this is the seal to use:
Felpro Rear Main Seal Set

Any ideas, thoughts, experience, suggestions? It'd be much appreciated.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #2

Region: Alaska
Rear main seal is located at the back of the engine between the block and the crank. You will need to pull the tranny back or out to fix it. Just tap the new one in. You should also check the pilot bering while your there if your car is a manual. There cheap to replace and you already have the trans out of the way.
91redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Re: Rear Main Seal?

I agree with the last post, IF that is what is wrong with your car...

When I read what your friend said about your rear end blowing up, it makes me think it was your pinion seal he is talking about...

Sure he didn't say, "rear end seal", because you are right about the rear main seal being on the crankshaft's rear main bearing.

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
I agree with the last post, IF that is what is wrong with your car...

When I read what your friend said about your rear end blowing up, it makes me think it was your pinion seal he is talking about...

Sure he didn't say, "rear end seal", because you are right about the rear main seal being on the crankshaft's rear main bearing.
He might've said that. I feel very dumb for not knowing what he was talking about. But there is a spot along the front of the rear diff that always looks saturated as from a leak. That would be a rear end seal?

Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If you see it wet on the bottom half of your rear diff it's most likely your rear pinion seal. Not hard to replace you need to remove the drive shaft and have a puller for the rear chuck I think you can rent that tool. Take a screw driver and pry the old seal off and carefully hammer the new one on. The seal will come with a new nut when installing the chunk I call it the chuck I forgot the proper name for it to early in the morning for me lol. But I usually count the threads before takin the nut off. it's very important to not drive that nut in to far you don't want to crush the shelve and you don't want movement on the chunk. And if it's leaking I would suggest replacing the fluid while your there.
Cajunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunick
If you see it wet on the bottom half of your rear diff it's most likely your rear pinion seal. Not hard to replace you need to remove the drive shaft and have a puller for the rear chuck I think you can rent that tool. Take a screw driver and pry the old seal off and carefully hammer the new one on. The seal will come with a new nut when installing the chunk I call it the chuck I forgot the proper name for it to early in the morning for me lol. But I usually count the threads before takin the nut off. it's very important to not drive that nut in to far you don't want to crush the shelve and you don't want movement on the chunk. And if it's leaking I would suggest replacing the fluid while your there.
That sounds like what I'm talking about and that also sounds like how I visualized it needing to be replaced. Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT