Exhaust and CAI? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I have a jlt cai with the 4in tube. It supposedly has about a 3hp gain more than cai (don't know if that's true or not). But i was impressed with it when it was first installed. It was about 160.American muscle and some other sites have kits that come with cai, tuner,& gears or u can get more n the package if u want. The tuner with the cai and gears will really wake it up. Am does free tuning for life if u buy it from them. Then id save and get headers, midpipe, and catback. But that's just me. But from personal experience the tuner with a cai and gears u will tell a good diff n hp and throttle response. U can get about 30+hp on the cai tuner and gears.. I went with 3.73 or if ur gonna be doing more drag than road 4.10s. And a full exhaust setup will up u about 50+hp. U can get a pypes midpipe and catback for around 5-600. But headers will cost 3-500. The tuner packages go from 300-however much u wana spend. But that's just my 2 cents. Im sure other folks know a lil more than me. But with the exhaust setup u sound good along with the hp and tq gains
dmax8709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 04:39 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: Exhaust and CAI?

ss,
glad you got one... i really did seriously consider trying the 75$ one, or the stack unit for 160. my kn goes on later today or tomorrow. let me know how clean the install goes, and what it feels and sounds like after you take 'er for a spin.

what kind of struts and brakes are you using? are you doing the work yourself???

joe
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:32 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Got a CAI and SCT tuner from AM on the way!
StackeStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Glad to hear it "StackeStang", It's also good to see you posted in Uniform, looks good. I have no pics of me in Uniform Posted, but I do have a few, and few on CG ship also. On that Tuner, you gonna do it yourself, or are you going to get a Tech/Tuner to do it?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

update on my kn cai's performance, if any of u interested:

contrary to my initial opinion, yesterday afternoon i noticed significant difference in pedal feel, acceleration and sound over stock setup.

(i have to wonder if it was just because i had battery disconnected during install, the ecm cleared, and it took several trips and over 100 or 150 miles to 're-learn' a/f mixture).

anyway accelerating through the gears from stop; improved
effort in climbing hill, even 5th alone; improved
dropping gear, changing lanes, and racing by; improved
sound of car accelerating(most noticeable through an overpass); improved

note: i do think i'm also sucking down more gas, but would make sense.. although it is stated better fuel economy as well. maybe due to my having my foot in it a little more these last couple days!

on to the tuner and exhaust

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

hey ss-
when you get your tune installed can you get back and let me know what u think... thx!
joe
Old 02-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

I just ordered it, they're putting the tunes on it then shipping it out and I figure I'll be doing everything else from there unless I want the tunes changed
Old 02-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackeStang
Got a CAI and SCT tuner from AM on the way!
Am shouldve gave u free tunes for life on that tuner. Didn't they?

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Quote:
I just ordered it, they're putting the tunes on it then shipping it out and I figure I'll be doing everything else from there unless I want the tunes changed
If u wanted another tune. Id highly recommend brooks speed. They did mine and i had a 40-50hp increase but i do have a lot more mods. It was only $100. It'll pull real hard at any rpm
Old 02-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

ss-
let me no how it goes ( i mean, how THE CAR goes) after you drop the tune in.

also, from what i hear u r not gonna need any custom tune till you do some more substantial mods... the gear ratio i believe you can edit yourself, so you should be set to r'n'roll for now

hope 2 hear back soon-
joe
Old 02-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Am should do free tunes so u shouldn't have to pay for nothin. It'll really wake urn car up even if its just a cai mod. Try it and see the results. Its free from am so u don't have to worry about paying anything. Call am or email. I promise it'll be worth ur while. What's ur next plans on the stang ?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Just put my intake on and it's awesome. now I await the tuner!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

yo!

great news!... like i said, it took my 'puter couple days worth of driving to adjust to it, but when it did, i def. noticed the diff!

don;t forget to (when it's safe, of course) roll windows down, and approaching under pass (or better yet a tunnel) downshift, and go WOT as you pass thru!

let me know about tuner install when you get done-
joe
Old 02-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

what all do i need to do after i get the tuner?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
what all do i need to do after i get the tuner?
Just plug it in and upload a tune.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet. I wasn't sure if there were any special configurations or anything. Good to know, thanks!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackeStang View Post
I'm starting to upgrade my car and was wondering if I should start with some mufflers and CAI?
Ok, I see where this is going, I stopped reading at post number 12 or so, maybe more.

Here's the deal. Adding Cold Air Induction (CAI), and exhaust system is the beginning of modding your Stang. Your on the right track for you budget. All Stang owners envision increased Horse Power (HP). To do this you need to increase the amount of compressed oxygen entering the cumbustion chamber. With that said, you can either save the green and buy a super charger or turbo system, or go for the draw of the enthusaist in you. Either way, no worries.

The CAI increases the air flow to the motor, with a V8 it is exponentially increases HP versus a 4 banger. Increasing air flow via the exhaust also improves HP due to express exit of exhaust out of the engine. The more air flow in, the more air flow out. Get it. So, that means your on the right track. Check you state laws on decibel level on exhaust noise too.

Now about exhaust pipes, I like BBK, great flow with off road X pipes. (H pipes offer less flow and end HP but has its benefits, plan ahead). A set of mufflers control the noise out the tail pipes (they are virtualy tuned to do so). Personnaly, I have flowmaster tech 40 series off-road. The best out there is Borla attack mufflers (three types, but expensive). Listen to Stangs in your area and ask about the exhaust systems.

I started with flow, air in, air out, tune, now for the cams. Important to note is that engines have their HP limitations. That does not mean you can't run 12s in the quarter. Oh yeah, almost forgot, tuner told me that gear improvement in the rear end does not make HP, you must do it at the engine (he's right cuz he proved it on the dyno). Good luck and happy tuning!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
Ok, I see where this is going, I stopped reading at post number 12 or so, maybe more.

Here's the deal. Adding Cold Air Induction (CAI), and exhaust system is the beginning of modding your Stang. Your on the right track for you budget. All Stang owners envision increased Horse Power (HP). To do this you need to increase the amount of compressed oxygen entering the cumbustion chamber. With that said, you can either save the green and buy a super charger or turbo system, or go for the draw of the enthusaist in you. Either way, no worries.

The CAI increases the air flow to the motor, with a V8 it is exponentially increases HP versus a 4 banger. Increasing air flow via the exhaust also improves HP due to express exit of exhaust out of the engine. The more air flow in, the more air flow out. Get it. So, that means your on the right track. Check you state laws on decibel level on exhaust noise too.

Now about exhaust pipes, I like BBK, great flow with off road X pipes. (H pipes offer less flow and end HP but has its benefits, plan ahead). A set of mufflers control the noise out the tail pipes (they are virtualy tuned to do so). Personnaly, I have flowmaster tech 40 series off-road. The best out there is Borla attack mufflers (three types, but expensive). Listen to Stangs in your area and ask about the exhaust systems.

I started with flow, air in, air out, tune, now for the cams. Important to note is that engines have their HP limitations. That does not mean you can't run 12s in the quarter. Oh yeah, almost forgot, tuner told me that gear improvement in the rear end does not make HP, you must do it at the engine (he's right cuz he proved it on the dyno). Good luck and happy tuning!
I agree completely with the exception that the whole X vs H pipe arguement. I cant say it is a myth but on your car and 90 percent of others out there you will never notice a performance difference. MM&FF did a study and on a 500 hp GT the X pipe created 3 more hp than the H pipe. In other words, its all about sound... X will give you a rasp, while H will give you a deeper rumble. And just to make you think some more there is also the MAC Prochamber (my favorit and what i will run till i die). The prochamber is kinda like an H but just has a little different tone
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked View Post
ss,
glad you got one... i really did seriously consider trying the 75$ one, or the stack unit for 160. my kn goes on later today or tomorrow. let me know how clean the install goes, and what it feels and sounds like after you take 'er for a spin.

what kind of struts and brakes are you using? are you doing the work yourself???

joe
Just got the intake put in yesterday. noticeable increase in power, not bad for $75. everything else is standard, the CAI is the first upgrade of many. I did the install myself, my friend helped. took less than an hour so you can do it too no problem
Old 02-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

cody(or anybody else who knows),
if you know... i'm looking at doing my exhaust SOON, and trying to find use x or h in good condition not too far from me. was wondering, as both MF and FM told me, factory Cats are NOT as restrictive as some might have you believe, SO:
1. does the addition of an x or h pipe with NO CATS really increase HP/TQ over JUST a cat back system alone???
2. i do not need to increase the decibel output level of my vehicle!
3. my choices for cat back are FM am. thunder, or maybe a MF. what MAC system should i take a look at?
thx for your inpit!
joe
Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked
cody(or anybody else who knows),
if you know... i'm looking at doing my exhaust SOON, and trying to find use x or h in good condition not too far from me. was wondering, as both MF and FM told me, factory Cats are NOT as restrictive as some might have you believe, SO:
1. does the addition of an x or h pipe with NO CATS really increase HP/TQ over JUST a cat back system alone???
2. i do not need to increase the decibel output level of my vehicle!
3. my choices for cat back are FM am. thunder, or maybe a MF. what MAC system should i take a look at?
thx for your inpit!
joe
The cats that are put onto our cars at the factory are not performance cats!... Going with an O/R mid pipe will give you about 15hp increase!.. Going with a performance cat will give you about a 10+ hp increase over the stock cats!.. If your concerned more with not increasing how loud your car is then stay with the factory cats!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
yo!

great news!... like i said, it took my 'puter couple days worth of driving to adjust to it, but when it did, i def. noticed the diff!

don;t forget to (when it's safe, of course) roll windows down, and approaching under pass (or better yet a tunnel) downshift, and go WOT as you pass thru!

let me know about tuner install when you get done-
joe
Yeah and good thing with slow drivers on two lane road it gives u the opportunity to downshift and haul azz past their turtle cars
kjunitalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

hey et-
ez, killer... i just don't want to go through the added expense and labor if all i'm gonna get is 2-4 rwhp at my wheel! i know everyone 'claims' you can get 15-20 (and yes, i'll deal with the noise level if i get the performance!). i'd like to see controlled dyno tests of just a stock ( or even 'hi flow') catted h vs an o-r x, with no other changes to the test vehicle that prove it.
joe
Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I'm fixing to order a new CAI, Tuner from AM, and some 3:73s. Only one question. When I bought the car the guy that had it installed a police interceptor chip. Is that going to interfere with my tunes? Can Bama compensate for that?
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
hey et-
ez, killer... i just don't want to go through the added expense and labor if all i'm gonna get is 2-4 rwhp at my wheel! i know everyone 'claims' you can get 15-20 (and yes, i'll deal with the noise level if i get the performance!). i'd like to see controlled dyno tests of just a stock ( or even 'hi flow') catted h vs an o-r x, with no other changes to the test vehicle that prove it.
joe
O/R mid pipes are worth it
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

I got magnaflow true x o/r xpipe with the magnaflow magnapack catback with 3.5in tips and u can tell a neck of a diff Prolly 30-40hp increase between the 2. Sounds nasty too with my bbk shorty headers. I honestly don't know anyone around here that has a aftermarket h-pipe. So i really couldn't compare. I don't know anyone who has been disappointed with there xpipes. As long as it from a manufacture. Some folks tried to fabricate their own and it didn't turn out to well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
cai, exhaust