Exhaust and CAI? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Exhaust and CAI?

I'm starting to upgrade my car and was wondering if I should start with some mufflers and CAI?
StackeStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Why not both? But if you have to pick one go with an exhaust.
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh2death
Why not both? But if you have to pick one go with an exhaust.
I was asking if that's a good starting combo I'm planning on doing both
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackeStang

I was asking if that's a good starting combo I'm planning on doing both
My bad i read it wrong. But that a good starting point also gears will really wake you your stang and if you can get a tuner you will get the most out of yours mods. Do you have a sixxer or a gt?
Old 02-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh2death

My bad i read it wrong. But that a good starting point also gears will really wake you your stang and if you can get a tuner you will get the most out of yours mods. Do you have a sixxer or a gt?
I love having opt 3.27's vs 3.08's or 2.73's which were the norm on cars like mine. Point being even a little more gear then what your used to makes a good difference
Old 02-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Exhaust and CAI?

GT. I heard that getting gears early will burn up my car. Is this true?
Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Myth, beating the snot out of it will burn it up not the 'gears'.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

I love having opt 3.27's vs 3.08's or 2.73's which were the norm on cars like mine. Point being even a little more gear then what your used to makes a good difference
Listen to him he knows what he is talking about.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Oh okay. Well what would you recommend doing first? I'm looking to spend around $600 starting out.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They do have a break in period though.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackeStang View Post
Oh okay. Well what would you recommend doing first? I'm looking to spend around $600 starting out.
Oh you want to spend $600..before you said you were thinking ~$1000, that's why I was pushing gears and a tuner for first mods.

Exhaust and a CAI are better choices if $600 is your limit...gears and an install would eat that up, then you'd need the tuner to adjust for the gear change.

You can get a nice catback anywhere from 300 to 500, and a CAI from American Muscle for $85.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03

Oh you want to spend $600..before you said you were thinking ~$1000, that's why I was pushing gears and a tuner for first mods.

Exhaust and a CAI are better choices if $600 is your limit...gears and an install would eat that up, then you'd need the tuner to adjust for the gear change.

You can get a nice catback anywhere from 300 to 500, and a CAI from American Muscle for $85.
Yeah I reevaluated my budget and factored in my valentines day spendings haha... My friend said to get free flow mufflers and a K&N intake
Old 02-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yah can't forget the woman..you'l never hear the end of it

The muffler choices seem endless. There are different types, 2 chambered, 3 chambered, straight thru, then there's the different brands, each with it's own unique sound.

It's really a personal preference, so check out some video clips or hear some cars in person.

Are you swapping in mufflers or looking for a catback?

Also I'd skip the K&N...paying for the name imo..for the 99-04 v6's/GT's you really don't gain a whole lot from the CAI's, so a simple generic one from AM for $85 is more than enough.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 02-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The muffler choices seem endless. There are different types, 2 chambered, 3 chambered, straight thru, then there's the different brands, each with it's own unique sound.

It's really a personal preference, so check out some video clips or hear some cars in person.

Also I'd skip the K&N...paying for the name imo..for the 99-04 v6's/GT's you really don't gain a whole lot from the CAI's, so a simple generic one from AM for $85 is more than enough.
I'm not sure. I'm just starting so I have no idea what's the best to do
Old 02-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

dudes... i was about to post similar. mine is stock '04 gt, and my first purchase was gonna be cold air kit and tuner. maybe new TB, plenum and POSSIBLY a spacer.

a. y no like k+n? i did like the looks (and data) on jlt and stack though! only concern was fitment.
b. was then thinking of adding cat backs
c. then under drive pulleys maybe, but only if i'm gonna get at least 10 more out of the ca$h.
d. then rear gears... any input greatly appreciated.

joe
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Glad I'm not the only one. Buddy of mine said get a K&N CAI from orielly's for $300 and free flow mufflers for the price range i want (which is roughly $600 for now). I might add gears and a tuner down the road, depending on the feedback I get because I'm fairly new to this.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

hope you didn't order that already man... 300?! no way!

if it's a stock 04 gt look at the following link below, it's 184 plus tax, free shipping. (note this is the rubber/plastic type inlet tube... if you want shiny metal look, that kit is a little more). i don't know if it's true(maybe someone can enlighten us both), but i read comments in my researching and shopping that the metal inlets may warm the air a little more, due to holding eng. compartment heat i imagine, possibly robbing a couple of the hp you are buying this for.

also note, the guys above are right, you can buy a kit from AM for 85 bucks too. i'm going to call them today to inquire b4 i make my purchase. i can send you that link too if you're interested. will try to get back and let you know wut they say later-

http://www.amazon.com/57-2519-3-Fuel...9138237&sr=1-1

(the link carried over 3 lines, and may not be hyper linked, so you may have to do some copy and pasting into your address line)
Old 02-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Just buy a BBK cold air intake from AM they are very nice.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked
hope you didn't order that already man... 300?! no way!

if it's a stock 04 gt look at the following link below, it's 184 plus tax, free shipping. (note this is the rubber/plastic type inlet tube... if you want shiny metal look, that kit is a little more). i don't know if it's true(maybe someone can enlighten us both), but i read comments in my researching and shopping that the metal inlets may warm the air a little more, due to holding eng. compartment heat i imagine, possibly robbing a couple of the hp you are buying this for.

also note, the guys above are right, you can buy a kit from AM for 85 bucks too. i'm going to call them today to inquire b4 i make my purchase. i can send you that link too if you're interested. will try to get back and let you know wut they say later-

http://www.amazon.com/57-2519-3-Fuel...9138237&sr=1-1

(the link carried over 3 lines, and may not be hyper linked, so you may have to do some copy and pasting into your address line)
Dang dude that's a nice intake and decent price
Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

just tested the link and i think it works.

just so you know, there are a dozen great CAIK out there. the ones i liked are of course KN, then JLT, BBK, C&L, or Stack. again there is the 85$ model from AM(or was it late model resto? i have to double check)

from what i say there are 2(actually 3) differences, and don't know if any r really that significant:
1. inlet tubes- plastic or metal
2. mounting location of filter- in the engine compartment, or IN the fender
3. filter design- several have an open nose, as opposed to a cover... i would think that gulps a little more air, or aids in flowing more to the TB/intake

btw, from what the guys i've spoken 2 so far have told me, you gotta got the tuner with this. if your goal is more POWER, without tuner CAI only get ya 7-12 max HP. WITH it, 20-40 HP and 30-60 TQ!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Information and opinions are right, The CAI and Exhaust is an Excellant place to start at with your ADDS, There are tons and tons of choices on both CAI and Exhaust. It does come down to preferrances. My choices comprised of both Quality, Looks and Sound. Picking CAI will mostly go to "Looks", while "Exhaust" will go to "Sound". Online you can get an idea of different sounds for the most part, but face to face you get the better feel of what it sounds like. In my Garage pics, you can see, I went with the Steeda CAI, with the Carbon Fiber High Flow Elbo, and you can see why, I went with that one. It's excellant, but It's not in that range of what was mentioned by a few people above. I also did the MagnaFlow Exhaust, with offroad X-pipe, and that's definately not in that price range of what you are looking for. Good luck with whatever you deside, and send us pics of what you deside to go with.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

kato,
thx... if i can pik your brain:

if you go back 2 my last post(c item 3 in list of differences in CAIK), i believe the steeda intake filter IS an 'open nose' style. do u no y some r, and y some not; or more importantly, if it does make any performance difference.

also, did the steeda filter mount in the fender. and is it true a 'metal' inlet over plastic does rob u of some performance benefit due to heat. (i did like the looks of the Granatelli pipe!) just curious, if you know-
Old 02-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked View Post
kato,
thx... if i can pik your brain:

if you go back 2 my last post(c item 3 in list of differences in CAIK), i believe the steeda intake filter IS an 'open nose' style. do u no y some r, and y some not; or more importantly, if it does make any performance difference.

also, did the steeda filter mount in the fender. and is it true a 'metal' inlet over plastic does rob u of some performance benefit due to heat. (i did like the looks of the Granatelli pipe!) just curious, if you know-
I believe that metal issue applys more to the Air Supply Elbow, more so than the actual filter holder. As far as open or closed, I was trying to figure out if you were reffering to the filter holder being an open holder or a closed in box type holder, Either way it's slightly a little more technical, those open end holders are blocked off from inside Engine bay from the rubber bushings that block it off from the hood and sides, and they receive air from the sides coming in from wheel area and bottom of car. If anyone else out there can explain that better, please do.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

kato,

thx again.

yes, the metal vs. rubber/plastic tube 'issue' would be pertaining to (possibly both; b4 and after MAF) air intake tube... again, don't know if any difference would be even noticeable. if i speak to someone at AM or LMR later, will report back

'open nose' just referring to the actual filter itself. some have a plastic or metal cover over the snout, if you will.

and yes, i believe the inside fender as opposed to in engine bay mounting as you said. seems obvious air in fender would be cooler than the air in engine compartment. hopefully, less likely to get wet in a fender?!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked View Post
kato,

thx again.

yes, the metal vs. rubber/plastic tube 'issue' would be pertaining to (possibly both; b4 and after MAF) air intake tube... again, don't know if any difference would be even noticeable. if i speak to someone at AM or LMR later, will report back

'open nose' just referring to the actual filter itself. some have a plastic or metal cover over the snout, if you will.

and yes, i believe the inside fender as opposed to in engine bay mounting as you said. seems obvious air in fender would be cooler than the air in engine compartment. hopefully, less likely to get wet in a fender?!
Yeah, I've seen those Filters like that also, those that have the cap on the end and those that have the little mesh filter stuff on the end. I do not believe that really makes any difference, just looks. Plus gotta be harder to clean those.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO
Information and opinions are right, The CAI and Exhaust is an Excellant place to start at with your ADDS, There are tons and tons of choices on both CAI and Exhaust. It does come down to preferrances. My choices comprised of both Quality, Looks and Sound. Picking CAI will mostly go to "Looks", while "Exhaust" will go to "Sound". Online you can get an idea of different sounds for the most part, but face to face you get the better feel of what it sounds like. In my Garage pics, you can see, I went with the Steeda CAI, with the Carbon Fiber High Flow Elbo, and you can see why, I went with that one. It's excellant, but It's not in that range of what was mentioned by a few people above. I also did the MagnaFlow Exhaust, with offroad X-pipe, and that's definately not in that price range of what you are looking for. Good luck with whatever you deside, and send us pics of what you deside to go with.
Would a K&N intake and free flow mufflers be a good combo?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

just hung up with dan @ AM... real helpful, and real patient(i ask a lot of ?'s)!

anyway, FREE tunes 4 life... that $#!T is crazy... make a mod, call them up, and they email u back the new tune! dig it

anyway, as much as i'd like to take the TB right now too, gonna do the CAI and tuner for now. just gotta decide which kit. let u no later-

joe
Old 02-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackeStang View Post
Would a K&N intake and free flow mufflers be a good combo?
I have not used "K&N" filters on any of my cars. Mufflers, go with whatever you want.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Keep in mind guys the 05+ cars respond to simple bolt ons like CAI's and exhaust much better than the 94-04's. After a tune, you can see 20-40hp with those 2 mods on the +05's, but it's probably not going to happen on the pre 05's.

That's why the majority of us will recommend buying an inexpensive CAI...the AM one is good, the Bomz CAI on ebay is good as well...I'd say you're stretching it with a Stack racing or BBK. It's up to you but we try to save you money on things that don't necessarily create huge gains and put that money towards something that does.

When companies claim 15-20 rwhp gains from their CAI alone, I consider it b.s., or a one time occurrence on a dyno that never happened again after another 100 runs.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

So just a normal intake? and what else should i start out with
Old 02-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

A basic inexpensive CAI is a great first mod...easy to install and let's you wrench on your engine.

I'd say if you have near plans of supercharging I'd say skip the CAI, but 90% of GT owners don't do so a CAI is probably fine for now.

Exhaust is another good starter mod...some catbacks can be installed at home but it's always easier to do on a lift. Possibilities seem endless from mufflers to midpipes to headers to full exhaust kits.

Gears and a tuner are the next best mods...gears do require professional installation unless you're experienced in gear installs.

The tuner will add some hp/tq based on the tune and will adjust the speedometer for the gear change.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

if you're interested, the chrome coated bbk units price may have dropped at AM... only 179.99 if you like the bbk brand, and the look of chrome. i'm not into it, and i'm partial to K&N, so that's what i'm getting, along with the sct tuner

incidentally, one of the guys at AM did tell me that i would prob see equally as impressive gains if i go with a new TB (as long as don't go TOO big) down the road and an aftermarket plenum... he did add that any tunes would have to be adjusted, and emailed back to me for upload. for what it's worth-

joe

p.s. i'd go right to my exhaust, but we got sniffers in NY, so i can't go with any o/r h or x pipe. i will still consider a cat back system, but if all i'm gonna get is impressive sound, i will just do rear gears. if i can't get 20 HP out of an exhaust, i'm not dumping the 500 (give or take) bucks into it. best of luck!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:

Do you know If the generic one is any good?
96gt014.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Just an update - I ordered the basic CAI for now, I'm gonna replace the struts and brakes and what not, and fix the paint cause I've got a few peeling places from when some lady hit me in her Durango, and the auto body place didn't paint it right.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

96gt01,
if u were asking me(about the 'generic' one) and referring to cai, i would guess just about. i went with K&n because i had one once(95 t-bird) and liked it, particularly the installation ease and quality. i like the black look. chrome under my hood is not something i want. i had some concerns (see some of customer comments at vendor websites) about the fit of some of the other units...

i got mine yesterday. was 175.50 NIB, no shipping, and the guy got it to me in 1 day! will try to report back after job done today or tomorrow.

good luck and any other ?'s, let 'er rip-

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
cai, exhaust