My VIN got ran today.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
My VIN got ran today..

Turns out the GT that was badged as a Cobra when I bought it... Started its life as a v6!! The vin shows up my car is a 3.8 232 v6. It is currently a 4.6 v8 with all gt drivetrain... I thought it was a GT. I'm so confused? Where did my engine come from?
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: My VIN got ran today..

someone put it in it along the way
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
Yup... probabally should help u in terms of insurance.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
etc1006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 200
It came from a GT.
etc1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc1006
It came from a GT.
Hahaha I literally laughed
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 40
Re: My VIN got ran today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
Yup... probabally should help u in terms of insurance.
yes and no...if he totals it they are going to shell out what a v6 is worth not a GT...also when comparing the costs the both my GT and v6 cost me a month...it's only $20 more a month for the GT...both being '04s
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc1006
It came from a GT.
Gee.. Thanks for that.

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous

yes and no...if he totals it they are going to shell out what a v6 is worth not a GT...also when comparing the costs the both my GT and v6 cost me a month...it's only $20 more a month for the GT...both being '04s
And yeah, that's what I'm a bit upset about. I don't care about the cost of insurance. Vin says v6 but registration says v8. Ehh.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 40
Re: My VIN got ran today..

yeah the other downside is if you ever have to have it fixed by insurance they can claim insurance fraud....i've seen it before when people drop 4v's in v6 bodies and don't pay 4v premiums....after an accident and the insurance person looked the car over...well things didn't match up and he got into a nice little legal battle.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
yeah the other downside is if you ever have to have it fixed by insurance they can claim insurance fraud....i've seen it before when people drop 4v's in v6 bodies and don't pay 4v premiums....after an accident and the insurance person looked the car over...well things didn't match up and he got into a nice little legal battle.
I can just claim ignorance. I had no idea until today and I've had it on insurance for over a year as a v8 anyway... So I can't really get in trouble, I think. Idk
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:27 AM   #10
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 40
Re: My VIN got ran today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
I can just claim ignorance. I had no idea until today and I've had it on insurance for over a year as a v8 anyway... So I can't really get in trouble, I think. Idk
yeah that should keep you out of hot water for the legal part...but it won't help you on the repairs...but in the end it depends on your insurance company
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
RVAStang05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Virginia
Posts: 323
Someone had tried to trick out my last Stang as a GT clone. I bought it as a v6, but it had a true dual exhaust, and had GT badges, etc ( v6 engine). Someone hit me before I had a chance to order new badges and pull off the ridiculous GT ones, and it was almost comical (if I hadn't been so upset about getting hit in my 5 week old car) the confusion that ensued with the insurance and body people.

Even with me standing there insisting it was a v6, showing them the engine, etc, they had both the insurance adjuster, and the body shop owner saying it "could be" a GT. They ended up running the vin and then bringing out another guy to confirm that it was in fact a v6. Too funny, I don't understand why the vin run wasn't good enough.

Your situation is just plain weird to me. Why go to all that trouble and expense, you know? I know what it costs to swap an engine because I've done it twice... I guess he could've got the engine out of a salvage and done the work himself, but still- dang. Sorry you're dealing with all that mess. I hope everything works out ok for you.
__________________
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
RVAStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Re: My VIN got ran today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAStang05 View Post
Someone had tried to trick out my last Stang as a GT clone. I bought it as a v6, but it had a true dual exhaust, and had GT badges, etc ( v6 engine). Someone hit me before I had a chance to order new badges and pull off the ridiculous GT ones, and it was almost comical (if I hadn't been so upset about getting hit in my 5 week old car) the confusion that ensued with the insurance and body people.

Even with me standing there insisting it was a v6, showing them the engine, etc, they had both the insurance adjuster, and the body shop owner saying it "could be" a GT. They ended up running the vin and then bringing out another guy to confirm that it was in fact a v6. Too funny, I don't understand why the vin run wasn't good enough.

Your situation is just plain weird to me. Why go to all that trouble and expense, you know? I know what it costs to swap an engine because I've done it twice... I guess he could've got the engine out of a salvage and done the work himself, but still- dang. Sorry you're dealing with all that mess. I hope everything works out ok for you.
That's fantastic! Haha. I'm sorry that happened to you, though. And I doubt this is a junkyard engine and drivetrain.. It's so clean and put together so well. The previous owner had no clue that it was not a GT when I called him the other day to ask. I feel like my whole world got turned upside down! I know nothing of my car. Haha.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
etc1006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

Gee.. Thanks for that.

.
Sorry man, couldn't resist...

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

etc1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
LAS97GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spring Lake
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 681
Re: My VIN got ran today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
I can just claim ignorance. I had no idea until today and I've had it on insurance for over a year as a v8 anyway... So I can't really get in trouble, I think. Idk
I'd say be honest an let them know, but since the work off the vin, it aint gonna do no good, get trashed and you get paid for V6, market price. Sell, and buy a V8, figure out how to keep you current motor. bet a V6 dont cost over 550 at a junk yard.
__________________
---Las97GT
LAS97GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Re: My VIN got ran today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
I'd say be honest an let them know, but since the work off the vin, it aint gonna do no good, get trashed and you get paid for V6, market price. Sell, and buy a V8, figure out how to keep you current motor. bet a V6 dont cost over 550 at a junk yard.
Why would I sell my v8 car to buy another v8..? Makes no sense.

And on insurance my car is listed as a GT with a 281 V8, and that's what I pay insurance for. Not a v6. So I would hope they would cover for the vehicle I am paying for. Makes sense.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
FORDGT14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Surprise
Region: Arizona
Posts: 614
Just throwing this out there, wouldnt the title be a dead give away? Mine says "Gt" on it..It should just say "Mustang" for the V6's, atleast mine did.

But thats weird man..
FORDGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Re: My VIN got ran today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDGT14 View Post
Just throwing this out there, wouldnt the title be a dead give away? Mine says "Gt" on it..It should just say "Mustang" for the V6's, atleast mine did.

But thats weird man..
That's what's weird.. my title read GT, if I recall right. I'm so confused.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
I've known a couple guys with swapped engines and the v6 cars with gt engines were insured at v6 levels and when they asked about it, the insurance companies didn't care. Guy had an 07 v6 with a full shelby swap. Paid nothin for insurance and he was covered when he hit a bus haha...
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
I've known a couple guys with swapped engines and the v6 cars with gt engines were insured at v6 levels and when they asked about it, the insurance companies didn't care. Guy had an 07 v6 with a full shelby swap. Paid nothin for insurance and he was covered when he hit a bus haha...
He hit a bus..?
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

He hit a bus..?
Yeah... a bus pulled out in front of him and he hit it doing 70kph. Whole front end.was gone. Engine totaled too
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
LAS97GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spring Lake
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 681
Re: My VIN got ran today..

Misunderstood:

I meant to put a real V6 motor in the V6 chassis via the salvage yard, sell it, and upgrade to a real V8 (if its practical for you). Seems like you would like to have a genuine 8 all around. Just guessing. When I bought my stang, it had no badges, and was slammed. Looks like the owner was building a stealth. I changed it by putting the badges back on.
__________________
---Las97GT
LAS97GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
jdmeaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 22
Re: My VIN got ran today..

As long as you are on the up-n-up with your insurance company, they will pay. As long as THEY have it documented that the car does have a V8, they can't do anything about it if its totaled. They ARE AWARE that the car was modified at some point.

i once installed a 302CI V8 in a VW bug, and the insurance company wasn't sure what I needed to pay. (I ended up with the same rates as my Camero. Go figure!!) As long as they have it documented, and your policy does cover the modifications, the adjuster can't do sh*t about it.
__________________
1997 CVPI ** ex-U.S. Marshall Service (the CAR) I don't think it was stock from them ** 13.26@107.24 MPH w/ me, my tools, and a full tank Added CAI, Niche 19 x 8.5" wheels with 245/45ZR19 rubbers, and a complete front end rebuilt with poly
A Super Duty Mustang Sedan

My Avatar is a picture of my Dream Machine
jdmeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmeaux
As long as you are on the up-n-up with your insurance company, they will pay. As long as THEY have it documented that the car does have a V8, they can't do anything about it if its totaled. They ARE AWARE that the car was modified at some point.

i once installed a 302CI V8 in a VW bug, and the insurance company wasn't sure what I needed to pay. (I ended up with the same rates as my Camero. Go figure!!) As long as they have it documented, and your policy does cover the modifications, the adjuster can't do sh*t about it.
That's a settling thought. Thanks!
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #24
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: My VIN got ran today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
That's a settling thought. Thanks!
Did the Ford dealer tell you it was a V6?, or was this done through a website?


EDIT: Do you know who the selling dealer was? If so they should be able to help you.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
MMVEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 307
Before you buy, at the very least, one word--CarFax. Before you even place an offer or give a deposit, you should have established some conditions for the sale. For example, owner to provide a CarFax report; repair receipts; (proof of) maintenance receipts etc. Regardless of how clean it looks and the previous owner claiming ignorance, you should have gave him an earful.

In Canada, the seller is suppose to provide a used car info report. Costs $20 and is available at our DMV--money well spent as it lists all of the previous owners of the vehicle among other details. Does the US have any thing like that other than CarFax?

Hind sight is 20/20. Lessons learned.

Either way, I hope you work things out.

Good luck
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #26
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: My VIN got ran today..

Even if it was a V6 they poured a lot of money into making it a Cobra. It looks like it was done right.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:45 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford
Even if it was a V6 they poured a lot of money into making it a Cobra. It looks like it was done right.
It was made into a GT that looks like a Cobra. Haha. What a confused pony.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
MMVEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

It was made into a GT that looks like a Cobra. Haha. What a confused pony.
I have to admit, the car looks damn good.
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Re: My VIN got ran today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC View Post
I have to admit, the car looks damn good.
I really appreciate that!
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
jdmeaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 22
Re: My VIN got ran today..

The car DOES look good, NO, GREAT!
__________________
1997 CVPI ** ex-U.S. Marshall Service (the CAR) I don't think it was stock from them ** 13.26@107.24 MPH w/ me, my tools, and a full tank Added CAI, Niche 19 x 8.5" wheels with 245/45ZR19 rubbers, and a complete front end rebuilt with poly
A Super Duty Mustang Sedan

My Avatar is a picture of my Dream Machine
jdmeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
LAS97GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spring Lake
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

It was made into a GT that looks like a Cobra. Haha. What a confused pony.
Or a wild, confused pony.
__________________
---Las97GT
LAS97GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Re: My VIN got ran today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmeaux View Post
The car DOES look good, NO, GREAT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
Or a wild, confused pony.
I really appreciate this guys. It makes me feel happy to know people like what I'm doing with Aurora!
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #33
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

I really appreciate this guys. It makes me feel happy to know people like what I'm doing with Aurora!
Hey it's one of the many quirks to a used car. You just never know, but the previous owner spent some dough into making it a GT. Aurora's looking great!
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
mhobbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: camp lejuene
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 113
Re: My VIN got ran today..

lol thats so funny hope you dont get in trouble. if that happened to me id laugh then cry lol then laugh some more

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

pretty pony btw
mhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
LAS97GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spring Lake
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 681
Re: My VIN got ran today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
I really appreciate this guys. It makes me feel happy to know people like what I'm doing with Aurora!
Aurora? Anybody named their Stang?
__________________
---Las97GT
LAS97GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
flames coming out of my exhaust today Sirtat 2005-2010 Mustang GT 20 08-24-2014 06:00 PM
Ordered my black Bullitt Motorsports today!! RVAStang05 2005-2010 Mustang GT 17 01-18-2012 04:48 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:53 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.