Help with sluggish warm motor - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Help with sluggish warm motor

Ok here's the low down. I bought a 00 gt 5 spd, that had been sitting in a field for 6 years. Didn't run, changed fuel pump drained old gas. I e changed the fuel filter several times b/c of small amounts of rust in the tank due to length of time the fuel sat in the tank. Here's the issue the car drives fine, meaning I can speed thru the gears. No problem, but ( u knew this was coming) once the motor gets up to running temp the damn thing starts stalling and runs like ****. It's weird. I would think if it's the fuel then it would be like this all the time, btw no cel's and ran a handheld Code thing and it said everything g was good. PLEASE HELP
Ponyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
What is the rpm range when warm? What happens when you rev it? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Is your heater working?
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #3

Re: Help with sluggish warm motor

Anything over 2,500 when it warm. When I rev it the surges and I lose power exhaust note changes. Have not checked for vac leaks, don't really know how. And yes heater works fine everything works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

To check for vacuum leaks: get a can of carb cleaner, starter fluid, wd40, or something like that. Spray around any vacuum hoses, spray around the intake manifold, and listen changes in rpm. Where u sprayed and the rpms changed is a leak. It is posible to leak from the manifold seals.

---------- Post added at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 AM ----------

Also might try some injector cleaner, doesn't really sound like clogged injectors but it doesn't hurt
Old 02-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #5

Ok thanks I'll try that tonight. It's just weird how I fill it up. It's runs better, not like it should. And like I said the tank had some rust in it but my last fuel filter change the filter didn't seem obstructed when I blew thru it.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #6

ok so i didnt hear the motor rpm's change. what next? i changed the fuel pump when i bought the car and the tank was rusty a lil i washed it out until the gas came out looking clean.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok if ur sure there r no vacuum leaks, I would look for sticky valves. I had the same problem on my 73 mustang, I removed the valve covers and and it was a mess! Besides all the crud there were sticky valves and a broken valve stem. If u don't feel like digging into ur engine now, u migh give seafoam a try, that might solve ur problem. Its worth a shot anyway.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

I'm sure you did an oil change when you got the car, but you can have the same problem with oil starvation if any kind of crud is in the filter or pan. It can also get pulled into the oil pick up and thrown throughout your engine blocking small passageways and stuff. I would recommend a top of the line synthetic oil and filter just to be safe. Make sure your air filter is not clogged as well. Watch your temp guage and make sure once it's warm that it stays where it needs to and doesn't run too hot. An overly hot engine can also have a hard time producing power. I would just make sure all hoses are in good condition with no leaks of any sort. Make sure coolant is flowing. Check to make sure you don't have any pinched fuel lines. Might even be a good idea just to check the MAF sensor and TPS. They're relatively inexpensive and after sitting so long, it probably wouldn't hurt. Hope this helps!!
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #9

Yea I did an oil change. But man I drive home today and had the a/c on and it was worse. Temp never got over half way. It just loses power and starts like surging a lil. I ordered a new gas tank and sending unit. Maybe that fixes it if not. I'm out of options. The car used to be ole and when it was cold the motor had tons of power. But now it does it all the
Time, only its worse when it gets up to temp. Btw cleaned the air filter and maf sensor and throttle body
Old 02-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted
I'm sure you did an oil change when you got the car, but you can have the same problem with oil starvation if any kind of crud is in the filter or pan. It can also get pulled into the oil pick up and thrown throughout your engine blocking small passageways and stuff. I would recommend a top of the line synthetic oil and filter just to be safe. Make sure your air filter is not clogged as well. Watch your temp guage and make sure once it's warm that it stays where it needs to and doesn't run too hot. An overly hot engine can also have a hard time producing power. I would just make sure all hoses are in good condition with no leaks of any sort. Make sure coolant is flowing. Check to make sure you don't have any pinched fuel lines. Might even be a good idea just to check the MAF sensor and TPS. They're relatively inexpensive and after sitting so long, it probably wouldn't hurt. Hope this helps!!
Hi, wondering if you have shop nearby with sludge removal equipment? They dump ur oil, hook up this device to ur drain plug and somewhere else and completely flush the innards of ur motor while sucking all removable sludge. Cheaper than running good oil tru the engine messin up good pistons, etc.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyup
Yea I did an oil change. But man I drive home today and had the a/c on and it was worse. Temp never got over half way. It just loses power and starts like surging a lil. I ordered a new gas tank and sending unit. Maybe that fixes it if not. I'm out of options. The car used to be ole and when it was cold the motor had tons of power. But now it does it all the
Time, only its worse when it gets up to temp. Btw cleaned the air filter and maf sensor and throttle body
Dumb question here!.. But did you make sure all your connections to your MAF are nice and snug?.. I had a similar problem today!.. Come to find out I didn't plug my MAF back in all the way!.. Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #12

First off thanks to all you guys! I just went and got a Mobil 1 oil change and the guy sold me on a motor flush. Well $158 dollars later and the mustang is running 100 times better. I'm still losing power around 4,500 but I've never had a 4.6 do I don't know if it's normal or if I should have a consistent power band. But thanks now my drive is going to be a lot less steessful. Ever need plumbing in Dallas area u got it hahaha
Old 02-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I'd seafoam it again just to be sure. Probably what the shop did, they just got you for the 150..
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

Most oil and lube joints do have a machine that they will hook up and flush either new oil, or a chemical agent (composed of detergents, acids, and other things) which will break up carbon, sludge, and pull out any debris there might be. Your powerband may be dropping off at around 4500 RPM naturally since peak torque is at 4000 RPM, and peak HP is around 5250 RPM. Glad your problem was fixed!!

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

@ LAS97GT.. I don't have a shop... I live in ND and drive a semi truck in the oil fields for a living. I just have a degree in automotive technology and high performance engineering and I've had 5 different mustangs.. Sorry bud.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT