Cold Air Intake. Worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Cold Air Intake. Worth it?

Will I see a big increase in power or anything? Its alot of money to buy one and if its not gona be a decent increase, im not sure if i wana spend it.

Thanks.
FORDGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Its not big increase and not expensive. Its worth it to me and most others.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Cold Air Intake. Worth it?

its the beginning to Everything man. you will see gains. especially tuned. you can get one for 75$ online. mine was 250$ but i know mines Great quality and it looks and sounds sick. let alone the gain i got. not much, but noticeable
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I don't think it does squat. It looks pretty and that's about it in my opinion. Do you have anything else you could spend the money on? CAIs really don't boost power unless you're running some forced induction.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well i found one on ebay for $51.95 with free shipping, i might get it just for the hell of it, does anyone know if the ebay CAI's are any good? Or does it even matter what the brand is?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
I've heard of people running eBay CAI's without any problems, but quality is suspect.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDGT14
Well i found one on ebay for $51.95 with free shipping, i might get it just for the hell of it, does anyone know if the ebay CAI's are any good? Or does it even matter what the brand is?
In my experience, you get what you pay for with things like that.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

assuming your putting on 96-04??

i just did my 04 gt's and used k&n. here's what i found out:
1. not too hard to install at all however instructions could have been just a pinch more specific
2. looks great BUT, as i had heard previously, one of the pollution hoses DID INDEED hit the filler cap. an absolute inexcusable design flaw(could easily have moved inlet an inch further up intake tube!!!)
3. little added throttle response(or HP) in lower range; some added response and maybe power once over 3000-3500; 10 HP? kinda doubt that. hopefully just get better fuel economy when driving with Mom in the car !
4. due to #3, and general consensus, looks like tuner is gonna be a bigger benefit

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

oh, forgot to add, would the cheaper 'AM' model, or the BBK or even Stack units which are both on sale be just as good. probably.

again, as stated by others kind of a personal preference. metal or plastic, the chrome look, filter in engine compartment or fender etc. think about 'the fit' (read other customers reviews on each brand) so you don't have to go through situation i have.
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
U can feel and hear a difference, let's ur Stang breathe easier
shsfresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked

1. not too hard to install at all however instructions could have been just a pinch more specific
2. looks great BUT, as i had heard previously, one of the pollution hoses DID INDEED hit the filler cap. an absolute inexcusable design flaw(could easily have moved inlet an inch further up intake tube!!!)
3. little added throttle response(or HP) in lower range; some added response and maybe power once over 3000-3500; 10 HP? kinda doubt that. hopefully just get better fuel economy when driving with Mom in the car !
4. due to #3, and general consensus, looks like tuner is gonna be a bigger benefit

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

oh, forgot to add, would the cheaper 'AM' model, or the BBK or even Stack units which are both on sale be just as good. probably.

again, as stated by others kind of a personal preference. metal or plastic, the chrome look, filter in engine compartment or fender etc. think about 'the fit' (read other customers reviews on each brand) so you don't have to go through situation i have.
So you think that the ebay CAI would be a bad thing? As long as its a direct fit, a CAI is a CAI no matter the brand, they all do the samething right?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to JetWolf
Quote:

So you think that the ebay CAI would be a bad thing? As long as its a direct fit, a CAI is a CAI no matter the brand, they all do the samething right?
I got my CAI from eBay, the gasket wasn't a perfect fit so I made my own, thing was throwing codes all the time, finally shut up though. Ha!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
American Muscle has some on sale now! Good price
magnum1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:

I had the cheap one from AM on my focbody and didnt fit good but woled and i jus upgraded to Stack racing one a week ago and it fits like a glove.. Very pleased and well worth the few extra bucks
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I put the cheap AM one on my 04 when they were on sale. Fits good but my car came without the factory airbox so I didnt have the grommets for the shroud. Only downfall. Otherwise i'm very happy with it.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Hello folks,

About the CAI, always remember that unless you are doing forced induction (ram air; super charger; turbo), the CAI is all you have to maximize the volume of oxygen that reaches the cumbustion chamber. The ECU compensates for the added air intake (sensors), and automatically adjusts the air-fuel ratio (more fuel to meet added oxygen), wallah you just added horsepower. How much you say, well that depends, for some its improved throttle response, more oxygen entering the cylinders. What must be realized is that adding more oxygen to the engine requires some adjustments such as air fuel ratio(ignition timing follows). Find a good guide on engine tuning and you just might be on your way to becoming a horsepower junkie, afterall you just hit one of the nerve centers of HP. Don't give up just yet.

Ok, reality check. I have been draggin my old 97 GT Vert up hill for a long time, here's my experiences to HP making in the flow arena:

Dumped the BBK fenderwell, vaccum cleaner, with lawn mower air filter for an under hood CAI from Steeda (foot-long filter that whistles/sings to me). Results, avoided catastrophic engine damage whenever my local highway threatens to float my car away during torrential rains (foot deep in Ft Bragg), which could also cause direct water uptake to the engine. I didn't switch the thing for power but its a plus. Under hood air temps are warmer.

Increased flow by adding a fine set of Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. Works great with X-Pipes. Really winds up in first gear, 0-4500 rpm (slowly), making it sould like a you got a super charger or something only better cuz it hits decibel notes north of 75Kz then dissapears (useful). Its not easy to get a flowmaster to reach its tuning notes. Passing under overpasses is like being in the thunder dome for a hot second. It makes Shelbys sound peaceful because the notes are strictly Flow, not attack muff. Ok, guess I am a flow junkie. nough said. movin on. I like Shelbys but till I own one its game on.

Improved flow by finally dumping the stock cats; 6 cats total (3 on each side), and replaced them with BBK off-road X-Pipes (2 cats).

Getting the added oxygen flow to the engine without forced induction called for the help of a BBK (BBK/Edelbrock stamped 75mm) throttle body. Awesome!!

Result of all that stuff, bolt-ons: The engine surpassed the capability of the stock ECU and sent the O-2 haywire. Yep, had to tune to move on, and throw in a dyno.

So, let me see, increased oxygen in, blocked (reduced flow) stock tail pipes and cats. Hmmm, what gives?

Final word: I keep my mods legal and smog free. Great learning challenge. I pass emissions everytime without the annual exhaust swap routine.

Sorry if I dropped off topic a bit. Oh yeah, I doubt I'll find this page again as I have a tough time locating my last posts and the responses. I see them but never had any luck. Just returned from Savannah GA. Trashed a few toyos, nissies, chargers, but had to back up on the Boss 302. Nice vic but stock wheels suck.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT
Hello folks,

About the CAI, always remember that.....

Sorry if I dropped off topic a bit. Oh yeah, I doubt I'll find this page again as I have a tough time locating my last posts and the responses. I see them but never had any luck.
Try subscribing to the thread, then u can easily find replies to ur posts. On the computer go to "quick links" the "subscribed threads"
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

dude, i'm GLAD you strolled off topic a little. in addition to helping answer questions i've got about my planned mods... your WRITING made me laugh!!! excellent work, on both accounts

more on my mods and SCT tuner as they happen-
joe
Old 02-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Just bought the ebay CAI so ill see how it goes.

Buying 4.10 gears in the next few days, any ideas on prices or where to buy them? Ill be doing this in my garage, any special tools needed?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just bought the ebay CAI so ill see how it goes.

Buying 4.10 gears in the next few days, any ideas on prices or where to buy them? Ill be doing this in my garage, any special tools needed?
Ford Racing makes a good set. You'll need an In/lb torque wrench and a ft/lb torque wrench, a dial indicator to set backlash along with some gear marking compound, and maybe a magnet tool to grab the c-clips.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

hey jd-
we spoke yesterday, and i just saw your reply here on the gears... i'm planning on 3.73s(ford racing or richmond). was wondering, did u do gear install yourself??? looks like a LOT of washers and the like; i was thinking better to just pay ford dealer(said just about $250 and there's a couple mustang guys there) to do it 4 me?!
joe
Old 02-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
hey jd-
we spoke yesterday, and i just saw your reply here on the gears... i'm planning on 3.73s(ford racing or richmond). was wondering, did u do gear install yourself??? looks like a LOT of washers and the like; i was thinking better to just pay ford dealer(said just about $250 and there's a couple mustang guys there) to do it 4 me?!
joe
I did it myself with the help of the drivetrain guy from the Ford dealership that I worked for at that time. I would recommend that you have the dealer do it because it gets pretty technical fast. Those washers are shims to set the the pinion contact pattern.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

I got the $75 CAI from AM, just put it on today. I love it! Noticeable increase in power, and a very good price. Well worth it.
StackeStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:46 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

jd,
10-4... he actually gave me pretty good price if you ask me... about $250 for the f.r 3.73s (or i could bring them whatever i wanted) and around $250 to install, plu$ the gear oil. sounded pretty fair to me-
joe
Old 02-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
jd,
10-4... he actually gave me pretty good price if you ask me... about $250 for the f.r 3.73s (or i could bring them whatever i wanted) and around $250 to install, plu$ the gear oil. sounded pretty fair to me-
joe
That sounds pretty good to me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
cold air intake