Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Tuner help

3K views 43 replies 9 participants last post by  K Twisted 
#1 ·
Did a quick search but like always the app doesn't produce much, I'm sure this has been asked before but I must ask now. Which is the best tuner for our cars? Is the SCT live wire worth the extra $130? Need to get a tuner before spring. Gonna be installing my CAI, TB, steeda u/d pullies and 3.73 gear before spring too!

#31 ·
It's all good lol, i got an 02 Expedition that's all modded out as well with the 5.4L so I have fun in the snow too. I work night shift, so I'm always up at night no matter the day.. I usually go to bed around 7am CST and sleep all day then get up right before work. Once I get home from work I spend time with my wife and daughter and then I get on here to see what people have wrote and are wondering and such... Nice to see someone else awake though!!

#34 ·
Must be an age thing...Im up by 5 every morning. Mornin!

#33 ·
2002VertGT said:
Steeda is SFI certified (sema foundation inc) sets the standard for items that could be potentially dangerous if manufactured wrong. I got mine at a great discount minus the alt pulley. I was looking at steeda and I believe the BBK one is SFI as well... In other words they are made as replacements and do not "piggy back" on the crank pulley which could cause bad things to happen.
Yeah, read that Steeda gets all OEM specs from Ford thru some sort of agreement then improves on them.

#35 ·
K Twisted said:
Curious what Dashpot is?? I use an EDGE CTS in my 02 expedition, but they don't really make anything for mustangs, although I wish they did. The mods you want to do are exactly what I as well want to do this summer, except I already have the U/D pullies and CAI. I planned on getting an SCT tuner (although I haven't decided which one) after looking around at other companies. There are some sights out there that will also take into account what your current setup is and if you buy an SCT tuner, they'll preload a custom tune for you right in the box. Then as you upgrade, you can go back and get another custom tune right through your computer any time you want. That seems like an awesome deal to me. As for TB, I hadn't really planned on it since I didn't really think it would make much of a difference since I haven't ported my heads yet and I'm still working on headers for my car. Maybe once the gears, headers, and tune are done I'll consider it. Hope this helps, and would love to keep updated on your decision!!
Dashpot refers to engine idle speed, a built. In PCM function. Note air bypass hose leading from inlet tube to TB (non carb eng). Functions at closed throttle. SCT tunes uses longer slower idle drop. Means less engine breaking vs quick drop. Supposedly very important when upgrading to forced induction.

#36 ·
hey migt01-
so your in your 40's too:)?!

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

to all,
btw.. do any of you guys know if it's of any use to do an EGR delete?:confused: also, if so, will it throw codes or any other repercussions? just curious-
joe

#37 ·
I'll say this first.. I have no idea. Technically it should help improve power because you're not mixing intake air with exhaust. This being said, emissions will probably go out the window. I'm sure it will throw codes if you just start pulling things out, and without a tune your engine may not even operate correctly. I really couldn't say for sure, but if you find out some good info cuz I would love to do the same thing!!

#40 ·
imhooked said:
hey migt01-
so your in your 40's too:)?!
Not quite...35..mine comes from 12yrs of gettin up at ass crack for PT every morning...LoL

#41 ·
PT... personal training? anyway, 5:45 on a tues and i'm up... not for pt, or work though (i make my own hours). i got my steeda tri-ax yesterday and am just psyched about putting it in!!:banana:

already got the bezel and boot off last nite, so i'm ready to get it apart and drop the new one in.:D report back later-
joe

#42 ·
PT= Army Physical Training LoL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.