Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Tuner help

3K views 43 replies 9 participants last post by  K Twisted 
#1 ·
Did a quick search but like always the app doesn't produce much, I'm sure this has been asked before but I must ask now. Which is the best tuner for our cars? Is the SCT live wire worth the extra $130? Need to get a tuner before spring. Gonna be installing my CAI, TB, steeda u/d pullies and 3.73 gear before spring too!

#3 ·
hey man,
you are doing everything i'm planning on doing to my 04gt right now too! i am also planning on tuner but trying to get some straight answers, and opinions on SCT vs Diablo. i'm talking to several guys, and calling the manufacturers, and wouldn't mind talking (even on phone) to you personally for ideas/experiences etc.

get back at me later if you're interested; time to try bama again at AM and c wut they say-
joe

#4 ·
Just get the Sct handheld one...cheaper and does the same thing as live wire....Oh, and go 4.10s instead of 3.73s! LoL

#5 ·
MiGT01 said:
Just get the Sct handheld one...cheaper and does the same thing as live wire....Oh, and go 4.10s instead of 3.73s! LoL
I have a '98 Automatic GT. will 4:10s kill my mileage? (Sorry that it's besides the point. Just curious.

#7 ·
I'm going with 3.73 because when I do drive my Stang in the summer I drive it every day and I drive 30miles 1 way to work...I don't want my rpms that high that long. If it was just a city car I would go with 4.10

But If there is NO benefit in the live wire I'll just get the handheld.

#8 ·
Hi,

I just bought a live wire. Never had a hand held before. LW allows for real time monitoring of certain PCM specs depending on model year.

Allows for additional tuning to Pre loaded tune such as air fuel ratios to help eliminate ignition knock, set fuel octane, best of all it allows for data log by linking your laptop via the SCT so you can drive while your Buddy observes paras. It's the next best thing to a dyno.

What you think, is it worth it? It opens the door to learn more about what you pay pros for.

Oh, almost forgot, it has a separate kit that feeds exhaust manifold and air induction wide band data to the tuner, to your laptop for very accurate readings.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

More on LW:

It allows for a lot more. Check out the SCT web site for full details. Just remember that Pre tunes are usually defaulted to 0:0 for A/F. Err On the side of richer when accessing WOT.

I'll post some pics. Ext weekend after I clean up my Stang, gosh think I'm falling for her! Clear your head cuz I meant my Stang. Lol. Good luck on your choice, but if your objective enough you'll get the best product that can feed your learning needs.

#9 ·
LAS97GT said:
Hi,

I just bought a live wire. Never had a hand held before. LW allows for real time monitoring of certain PCM specs depending on model year.

Allows for additional tuning to Pre loaded tune such as air fuel ratios to help eliminate ignition knock, set fuel octane, best of all it allows for data log by linking your laptop via the SCT so you can drive while your Buddy observes paras. It's the next best thing to a dyno.

What you think, is it worth it? It opens the door to learn more about what you pay pros for.

Oh, almost forgot, it has a separate kit that feeds exhaust manifold and air induction wide band data to the tuner, to your laptop for very accurate readings.
Now that's info I'm looking for....what all does the hand held do??? Anyone it info like that for me?

#11 ·
did u decide on tuner yet... i had a diablo in my hands and attached to my car today! not sure, but think something happened too! more on that later; i've heard both are good, however there are some minor drawbacks with the diablo unit from what i understand.

i know nothing about the live wires, so can't help you there. i would think best for you to speak with someone that is familiar(experienced) with both units

#12 ·
I tried the chip tuner from AM, and it was terrible. It would randomly make my car shut off while I was driving down the road. But when it worked, it WORKED. Not worth it though, I'd rather drive stock than risk my life with a jank tuner chip. I strongly suggest trying the plug-in SCT. Let us know what you decide cause I'm interested in it!

#14 ·
Ok, folks, a little more about LW. I have learned that with any tuner over stock you need to listen first for ignition knock. Sounds like you valves lifters are playing taps. You'll hear them. That is a sign of ignition knock. Some earlier stangs supposedly dont have knock sensors so get to know your engine and PCM capabilities. We all know what knock sensors do. I still have the problem because my PCM cannot compensate for knock, dont have sensor. So I have go go after timing. Problem is I have EFI and coils, get it? Means I have to learn Dashpot and some things that make me worry, but eager to learn.

First I have to do some data logging. MTF later. I like the LW. No regrets here.

#15 ·
Ok, I need more eyes on this. I found another tuner that is like OMG I WANT...it's the SCT iTSX model 4015. Someone check it out and tell me what you think. I'm still trying to figure out if it will work on multiple vehicles....if so I could use it on my truck too!

#16 ·
Curious what Dashpot is?? I use an EDGE CTS in my 02 expedition, but they don't really make anything for mustangs, although I wish they did. The mods you want to do are exactly what I as well want to do this summer, except I already have the U/D pullies and CAI. I planned on getting an SCT tuner (although I haven't decided which one) after looking around at other companies. There are some sights out there that will also take into account what your current setup is and if you buy an SCT tuner, they'll preload a custom tune for you right in the box. Then as you upgrade, you can go back and get another custom tune right through your computer any time you want. That seems like an awesome deal to me. As for TB, I hadn't really planned on it since I didn't really think it would make much of a difference since I haven't ported my heads yet and I'm still working on headers for my car. Maybe once the gears, headers, and tune are done I'll consider it. Hope this helps, and would love to keep updated on your decision!!

#39 ·
I tried to answer your question earlier but I still get turned around some in the forums. The dashpot is a preprogramed feature in the PCM. It has to do with idle. since I tuned, I tried sitting at idle and raising the idle to 2k or 2.5k then letting off the throttle. Dang engine dropped to like 5k idle close to stalling then picked up to 8.5k. That's dashpot. It also has to do with while driving and you press the clutch, what the engine does. Mine, by tune, stays up and drops slowly. Problem is I can't take advantage of it yet. Oh yeah, this feature is designed to operate at close throttle, and functions on air bypass to the TB. Something like that.

#17 ·
K Twisted said:
Curious what Dashpot is?? I use an EDGE CTS in my 02 expedition, but they don't really make anything for mustangs, although I wish they did. The mods you want to do are exactly what I as well want to do this summer, except I already have the U/D pullies and CAI. I planned on getting an SCT tuner (although I haven't decided which one) after looking around at other companies. There are some sights out there that will also take into account what your current setup is and if you buy an SCT tuner, they'll preload a custom tune for you right in the box. Then as you upgrade, you can go back and get another custom tune right through your computer any time you want. That seems like an awesome deal to me. As for TB, I hadn't really planned on it since I didn't really think it would make much of a difference since I haven't ported my heads yet and I'm still working on headers for my car. Maybe once the gears, headers, and tune are done I'll consider it. Hope this helps, and would love to keep updated on your decision!!
Do u have steeda ud pullies??! If so do you still have the install bolt?

#18 ·
No I bought UPR underdrive pullies.. then I started hearing they suck after I already got them (figures). I don't believe they came with anything either.. just the pullies. I didn't know if I'd be able to use existing parts or not.. I haven't even installed them yet because I got them right at the end of fall and I don't have a garage. I guess this spring when it gets warmer I'll play around with them..

#19 ·
K Twisted said:
No I bought UPR underdrive pullies.. then I started hearing they suck after I already got them (figures). I don't believe they came with anything either.. just the pullies. I didn't know if I'd be able to use existing parts or not.. I haven't even installed them yet because I got them right at the end of fall and I don't have a garage. I guess this spring when it gets warmer I'll play around with them..
Honestly I would Craigslist that ****....get a set that is SFI certified

#20 ·
I had the handheld tuner on my 2002 GT. Model 3015. It came with CANNED TUNES from SCT and had the ability to adjust parameters as well. It's all you need and if you go to get it dyno tuned just take your Hand hel and they can upload the tunes to it. LiveWire is cool but for everyday function is not required over the handheld unless you like the touch screen. IMO just get the handheld. There are numerous guys up here with 4.10 gears in automatics. Don't fear the gear! Your driving habits will have more variable on mileage than going with 4.10's over 3.73. OR... Happy medium 3.90's :)

#22 ·
K Twisted said:
Holy sh** i'm having a crazy case of Deja Vu after just reading your post lol.. Wow!! Anyways, 2002VertGT, remind me again what SFI is?? What all have you heard about UPR's set?? Just our of curiousity, what sold you on Steeda's??
Steeda is SFI certified (sema foundation inc) sets the standard for items that could be potentially dangerous if manufactured wrong. I got mine at a great discount minus the alt pulley. I was looking at steeda and I believe the BBK one is SFI as well... In other words they are made as replacements and do not "piggy back" on the crank pulley which could cause bad things to happen.

#23 ·
I'm not sure about UPR's.. I've heard bad things, but looking that them they came with 3 replacement pullies. Alt, water pump, and crank. I would have had them on already but I don't have a pulley puller and they didn't come with any instructions. They are light weight and made of billet though.. I'm still trying to find more out about all the different brands though before I put mine on and regret it. Thanks for the info though!!

#24 ·
K Twisted said:
I'm not sure about UPR's.. I've heard bad things, but looking that them they came with 3 replacement pullies. Alt, water pump, and crank. I would have had them on already but I don't have a pulley puller and they didn't come with any instructions. They are light weight and made of billet though.. I'm still trying to find more out about all the different brands though before I put mine on and regret it. Thanks for the info though!!
The only pulley you should need a puller for is the crank....and I think the set you have you don't even need that for....Post a pic of the crank pulley from that set

#26 ·
K Twisted said:
Here are 3 pics of the pulleys I got. I opened the box and realized they did actually come with bolts and stuff. Thanks for shedding light on this.
Good thing, your crank I not a "piggy back" style. So those should work fairly well..

#28 ·
these look great... are you installing them today(already?)!

let me know if you feel any difference after the install, and send pics of the engine with the new adds if you can!:good:

---------- Post added at 05:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 AM ----------

oh... just ran through he thread again and saw you may have had these for a while already. my bad.

spring is right around the corner, and hopefully you can get that pulley 'pulled' and the kit installed soon! :)
joe
joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.