I am Still Confused Please help ME! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I am Still Confused Please help ME!

ok so everything i thought was the problem with my car turned out to be a bust. i put the clamp back on the cai and did help some but still acts up.. i have seven codes which i will post at the bottom.. but let me explain what happens so can see what i dealing with.

turning on to the street i hit the gas till 30 in first.. put in second. if let off easy there is no issue. if i hit the gas to hard then the car acts like it stalls.. rpms do not move and if i don't let go of the gas the speed drops.. once i let it go and press slowly on it the car will move again.. but when i hit the gas it feels like there is a hesitation to it. i changed out the crankshaft position sensor. i can't find the location on the car for the fuel pump relay ( not in engine compartment) i can't get another air filter till thursday or friday cuz have to order it since it a k&n filter. throttle position sensor has been changed.. fuel pump and filter as well. please help me!

here is a list of the codes so far:
P1409 -- EGR
P0443 -- EVAP
P1451 -- EVAP
P0135 -- heated O2 sensor
P0141 -- heated O2 sensor
P0155 -- heated O2 sensor
P0161 -- heated O2 sensor

that what i got so far.. will see if there is anything else
Codysmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Does your car still have a catalytic converter?
What happens when you're in neural and you give it has?
Does it still try to stall?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: I am Still Confused Please help ME!

it does not have cats on it. the car has straight pipes on it and looks kinda half *** done.. i think the front O2 sensors are blanks cuz they will not come off the exhaust. and yes it does. i just drove it down the street for a bit to see if the check engine light will come on cuz i took the battery out.. and i let it idle for a bit while talking to a friend. rpms jumped a lil bit and then just completely died.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Well Im pretty sure your O2 sensor issues are exhaust related. Your evap code is a fuel charcoal evaporator sensor or filter failure, (gas tank off to fix) and your egr issue can be lots of things.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

so wat to do?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
O2s- get a tune and shut the sensors down. Evap system you will probabaly need a mechanic for, egr could be the unit itself or a vacum problem or.........
Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
O2s- get a tune and shut the sensors down. Evap system you will probabaly need a mechanic for, egr could be the unit itself or a vacum problem or.........
Agreed, but the evap codes in our car are usually an old crappy gas cap or the evap purge solenoid. A mechanic fixing it might end up being money you don't want to spend. I'd prioritize the O2 sensor issues first, since evap isn't likely the cause of a drivability issue. Spend 380 bucks at AM, buy a tuner, disable the O2s, and you'll probably fix the issue and gain performance. Then spend a weekend and try to fix the evap yourself. Just google how to test the purge solenoid and inspect/replace your gas cap.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

i would be more than happy to get the tune from AM.. but i don't have the other specs they need.. i mean don't they need to know the general specs on how the car drives now.. horsepower and all that?

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

and i have already replaced the gas cap.. so i guess i need to check the lines? and could it be fuel pressure issues? like maybe the pump isn't working correctly?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codysmustang
i would be more than happy to get the tune from AM.. but i don't have the other specs they need.. i mean don't they need to know the general specs on how the car drives now.. horsepower and all that?

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

and i have already replaced the gas cap.. so i guess i need to check the lines? and could it be fuel pressure issues? like maybe the pump isn't working correctly?
AM doesn't need your HP ratings.. Just your year, your computer's code(its on a sticker on the ECU), what mods you have, auto or manual, etc. they are general questions that you can easily answer.
Low fuel pressure should show a seperate code.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I'll def look it up. I need to know if there any mustang guys wit this year car that can help.. Me and stepdad think it has a leak coming from the intake manifold.. There is def a hiss from the engine.. And need to know how the engine is soposed to sound
Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codysmustang
Ok I'll def look it up. I need to know if there any mustang guys wit this year car that can help.. Me and stepdad think it has a leak coming from the intake manifold.. There is def a hiss from the engine.. And need to know how the engine is soposed to sound
Well I need to know what year it is. I own an 04 and an 05. If you are tracing the leak, crank the car and start hitting suspect spots with starting fluid.. If you get a stumble when you spray it, you found the leak!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

We had tried carb cleaner not starter fluid.. And it an 02 GT.. I lookin to see if there anyone around my area that has one so can hear how it sounds compared to mine
Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

You got a CAI? They can hiss. You really shouldn't get much. I've always used starting fluid to detect vacuum leaks..
Old 02-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

It has a K&N cai.. And the only time I get a hiss from it is when turn the car off.. This his is pretty loud and comes from engine
Old 02-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

Alright... so your O2 sensor codes are definately related to your exhaust and can cause an engine performance issue. Your cats directly effect how your O2 sensors read, and by not having them, your O2 sensors are literally like, "What the F*** is going on??!!??" Here's how it works.. you have an upstream (sensor closest to the engine before cat) and a downstream (sensor after the cat furthest from engine) set of sensors. What they do is read the exhaust temperature, and depending on temperature the computer calculates how much oxygen is not being used in the combustion chamber. The hotter the 02 sensor reading, the more oxygen going through the exhaust pipes that isn't being burned in the combustion chamber. Your cat is there to help control emissions. It does this by getting really hot from the exhaust gasses flowing through it and helps to burn some of the O2 thats coming into it. So the upstream will tell the computer how hot it is, and then the downstream should show the computer a different signal which shows that the O2 coming into the cat was burned off and that emissions are being controlled. By not having a cat, both upstream and downstream sensors are reading the same which is causing the computer all kinds of chaos. It doesn't know how to adjust how much fuel to use, or at what RPM range, or how much air to bring in, or if it's pouring fuel out the tailpipes or what.. SO... like they said earlier, you can get a tune done to simply tell the computer that it doesn't need O2 sensors. Another option might be to get some O2 sensor extendors. They're a little confusing on how they work, but people use them and swear by them so you may want to check into it. As for your EGR code.. although it could be a number of issues, there are some ways to narrow down or diagnose what it is. Typically I like to narrow it down as best as I can, and then start replacing the cheapest parts first. I would start with the EGR valve. A key way to know if it is the EGR valve is if you're getting the smell of fuel inside your car when driving and the vent is on/open. It's not a for sure thing, but it does point in that direction. As for the EVAP code.. I'd have to look into it. Your canister may just need replaced. Hope this helps a little bit!!
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:09 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

I have to admit.. What I just said about the EGR valve was inaccurate. I was thinking of the fuel pressure regulator and for that confusion I'm sorry. All of that was for the FPR.. as for the EGR i would have to get back to you.. again, my bad.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #17

Region: West Virgina
Try to replace the egr it can cause ur prob
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

I'm buying in. Makes sense too.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Hey y'all I had forgot to reply and say I found the issue wit my car.. Was 2 things on the back of my car that caused everything.. I had about a cups worth of rust in my fuel canister plugging up my fuel pump so it couldn't get any fuel at all.. And then the line that went from the tank to the evap canister had an issue because the clip that connected to the canister was broken in half. Fixed the clip and cleaned out the tank and works great.. Now the only thing is I think my injectors are cloged alil cuz it kinda doin the same thing.. If anyone has any injectors that can get off ya be great

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT