Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Tax Return Dilemma!

4K views 76 replies 13 participants last post by  CodyNelson 
#1 ·
Got about $3k back for tax returns. I really have been wanting cams for a long time and could also get a typhoon intake, install, and a tune for that money. Or I could get an entire typhoon top end kit, really.

Would the cam/intake route be good? I like drive-ability and also love the sound of a cammed car. I won't be dragging my car and am never too hard on it, but do get past 5krpm each time I drive.

Opinions? Oh, 2002 GT.

#3 ·
ColeJohnson said:
Got about $3k back for tax returns. I really have been wanting cams for a long time and could also get a typhoon intake, install, and a tune for that money. Or I could get an entire typhoon top end kit, really.

Would the cam/intake route be good? I like drive-ability and also love the sound of a cammed car. I won't be dragging my car and am never too hard on it, but do get past 5krpm each time I drive.

Opinions? Oh, 2002 GT.
Depends on what you want to do with the car and what mods you already have!..

#4 ·
AgentOrange said:
Depends.. If you don't have suspension then i'd do cams, tune, and suspension (LCAs and shock/struts). Daily driving is more fun with an upgraded suspension. Doing the top end for 3k seems a little extreme. You could have a blower for that and gain way more power.
Already have full suspension and exhaust. And 4.10 gears. And shifter. And a tuner.

#7 ·
Yeah the edelbrock requires a few peices to be installed. You need the intake, new fuel rails (Edelbrock or MMR has a set for it), and the Eddy 6061 plenum elbow OR MMR has a adapter plate that allows you to use your stock TB/Plenum combo. All in all it is around 500 for everything if you shop around. But it is well worth it and you will be much happier than with that typhoon POS

#8 ·
So we're looking at $500ish for the edelbrock intake/fuel rails/elbow(or plate), $580ish for Stage II cams, $200 for beehive springs(or whatever it is to accomodate for higher lift of stage II cam), and $60 for new steel retainers? So roughly $1340 in parts, then what for labor? I'm sure the shop could do a combo-install of cams and an intake since intake has to come off anyway, right? So labor+tune I'm guessing is $1k?

#11 ·
S/Cing a 4.6 with stock bottom-end is like a bomb. I'd rather waste my money other ways than putting a timer on my engine. >.>;

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

I'm guessing you don't want heads and a cam ?
Heads and a cam +tune and install is out of my budget.

#15 ·
murraydylan1993 said:
For 3k why dont you go all out and supercharge it?
Where ate you finding a supercharger for 3k with everything needed to install it? Just curious I have not found one for under like 4-4.5

And not everyone is keen on blowing a stock motor....mines a dd, I can't afford to have it bust cause I wanted to blow air into it. Before I ever turbo or sc I'll build the motor completely.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

ColeJohnson said:
S/Cing a 4.6 with stock bottom-end is like a bomb. I'd rather waste my money other ways than putting a timer on my engine. >.>;

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Heads and a cam +tune and install is out of my budget.
:nice: like how you have your head on your shoulders about the sc subject.

#16 · (Edited)
Where ate you finding a supercharger for 3k with everything needed to install it? Just curious I have not found one for under like 4-4.5

And not everyone is keen on blowing a stock motor....mines a dd, I can't afford to have it bust cause I wanted to blow air into it. Before I ever turbo or sc I'll build the motor completely.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

:nice: like how you have your head on your shoulders about the sc subject. I know u said urs is a DD too
+111111111

If I do something with my car I NEVER half-ass it. I've never half-ass'ed anything I worked for in my life and will definitely not start now. Hah. I will first have a completely built engine and a secondary mode of transport before I go forced induction. Ultimately; and engine can go bad at any time, even completely stock ones. I'd just rather not help it to it's grave. Haha.

Cam+intake+tune is what I'm doing now, then forged internals. That's the order my list is.

When I first started modding the car I had the list as exhaust --> rear-end --> tires --> suspension --> cams/intake --> forged internals --> fuel delivery --> Forced induction.

#17 ·
ColeJohnson said:
+111111111

If I do something with my car I NEVER half-ass it. I've never half-ass'ed anything I worked for in my life and will definitely not start now. Hah. I will first have a completely built engine and a secondary mode of transport before I go forced induction.
X10000000

#22 ·
Tell her to get a job. Use the money for your real lover, the vert! Stiffen the suspension up, then blast performance! Or sell the '02 vert and use all the money to get a decent 'vert Cobra to replace it. :p

#20 ·
96gt014.6 said:
Oh wow....yeah you have one big dilemma
Ur tellin me....I could have this baby up over 500hp with that...although my suspension would be lacking a little...

#24 ·
96gt014.6 said:
Why not try to do both ? Mod a little and get her a car ? Or would that not work out to good
Eh, she's getting a car unless i wanna give up my f150 (not happening) and she drives alot. So I'm getting her what she wants (dodge neon). I know how to work on them and keep them running good so I'm cool with that. Then I'll probally pay off a bill or two and do a "lil" modding. Yearly bonus comes next month. More bills to pay off and probally another mod.

Attachments

#25 ·
ColeJohnson said:
Tell her to get a job. Use the money for your real lover, the vert! Stiffen the suspension up, then blast performance! Or sell the '02 vert and use all the money to get a decent 'vert Cobra to replace it. :p
If I get rid I this very it will be to trade for a coupe to mod the hell out of and then I would buy a mystichrome cobra

#26 ·
2002VertGT said:
Eh, she's getting a car unless i wanna give up my f150 (not happening) and she drives alot. So I'm getting her what she wants (dodge neon). I know how to work on them and keep them running good so I'm cool with that. Then I'll probally pay off a bill or two and do a "lil" modding. Yearly bonus comes next month. More bills to pay off and probally another mod.
Ah, dodge neons are nice little cars. Pretty quick suckers to.

#28 ·
Well I'm not looking for the most power. My goal has always been roughly 300-320rwhp. Cams+intake+tune plus all the other mods I have will get me to that number. Plus I have 4.10gears. 320rwhp + 4.10 gears will make a really peppy and quick DD, which is what I want. :]

#33 ·
Thanks!! I've been wanting this for a while.

So back to my other questions, do these numbers look right:
-$500ish for the edelbrock intake/fuel rails/elbow(or plate)
-$580ish for Stage II cams
-$200 for beehive springs(or whatever it is to accomodate for higher lift of stage II cam)
-$60 for new steel retainers
=Roughly $1340 in parts
Then you add in labor, which I'm going to assume the shop can install the intake+cams all in one go since intake has to come off anyway, so a one-time charge? Roughly $1klabor+tune? Sound good?

So about $$2400 parts+labor+tune? This sound anywhere close?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.