I need some advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I need some advice

So here's the deal I'm about to buy some shocks for my car sense my ride is completely crapping I feel every pebble on the road lol. I also have enough money to buy a SCT. My car has 155k+ Miles on it. It has 75mm Throttle body plus plenum, BBK shorties, o/r x-pipe. SLP Loud mouths, 3.73 gears, CIA and Stage 2 clutch. I'm just worried that my car breaking down again due to all the performance parts. I already blew a spark plug threw the head just by starting the car lol. I tapped the cylinder and added a solid insert haven't had a problem with it sense. So I guess my question is will the tuner help my car pro-longing its life or not? I drive rather aggressive but its not like I floor it everywhere I go.
Cajunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: I need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunick View Post
So here's the deal I'm about to buy some shocks for my car sense my ride is completely crapping I feel every pebble on the road lol. I also have enough money to buy a SCT. My car has 155k+ Miles on it. It has 75mm Throttle body plus plenum, BBK shorties, o/r x-pipe. SLP Loud mouths, 3.73 gears, CIA and Stage 2 clutch. I'm just worried that my car breaking down again due to all the performance parts. I already blew a spark plug threw the head just by starting the car lol. I tapped the cylinder and added a solid insert haven't had a problem with it sense. So I guess my question is will the tuner help my car pro-longing its life or not? I drive rather aggressive but its not like I floor it everywhere I go.
Ultimately with that 75mm TB you need a tune, I'd say. The tuner won't help make up for the extra air going in so the computer can't get a proper AF mixture, you might be running lean. Just my guess, though.

And just so you know... Blowing plugs is what our year stangs are known for, it is a defect in the 4.6's heads in which there are only three threads holding in plugs and they get cross-threaded VERY easily. I blew a plug many months ago and got a sleeve put in and no problems now. It just happens..

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

And just so you know... Blowing plugs is what our year stangs are known for, it is a defect in the 4.6's heads in which there are only three threads holding in plugs and they get cross-threaded VERY easily. I blew a plug many months ago and got a sleeve put in and no problems now. It just happens..
Heh, good to know..

Cajunick: I like the number of posts u have there hehe...69
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

Ultimately with that 75mm TB you need a tune, I'd say. The tuner won't help make up for the extra air going in so the computer can't get a proper AF mixture, you might be running lean. Just my guess, though.

+11 on the running lean part!.. With a full exhaust?.. Ya I would say your a bit lean!.. Get the tuner!!...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Ok, I can't help but agree with all the advice on "get a tuner." I feel I need to back it up and help out a fellow Stang owner. Here's the deal even though you (Cajunick) didn't bother to state all your mods:

Tuner benefits:

1. Tuners offer 0:0 settings to air/fuel ratio, we'll call that A/F from now on.
2. If you purchase a hand held you options are limited. Research first.
3. I recommend SCT Live Wire. Why? Because it allows you to set A/F. But!! You need to get smart on tuning before you even venture into that arena.
4. Why have you done so many mods (sounds like it) and not done a tune? Hmmm (I won't say the word "dumb").
5. Although your era engine tends to blow spark plugs, have you verified that that the plug is actually blown? Never heard of it. Here's why, excessive oxygen entering the cumbustion chamber can actual blow the "spark" out! To defeat that it takes some spark advanced tuning, or simply opening the gap on the plug to increase the spark size (Hmmm, I think this is where MSD makes its money). I can't help with that as I am still learning about it.
6. SCT allows for some of that via WOT. WOT is not a toy, not to be messed with. Period, unless you know what your doing.
7. Make life easy and tune and check you ignition timing.
8. Oh yeah, if you buy a tuner and set it for an octane level, you need to maintain that level, or else bad stuff will happen (sucks), feels like I'm doing halloween on you.

Oh, yeah, if your interested, buy a tuning manual, Greg Banish from SA Design writes a great manual on engine management and tuning.

Good luck. Take good care of that Stang.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the feedback. And I bought the car with the current mods so yes the past owner was a moron.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunick View Post
Thanks for the feedback. And I bought the car with the current mods so yes the past owner was a moron.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
This has nothing to do with what ur asking but I bet your car is loud as h***
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi
This has nothing to do with what ur asking but I bet your car is loud as h***
Yes my grumpy old neighbor two houses down hates me. He has called the cops on me multiple times lol. I even got a letter saying I'm in probation for disturbing the peace. I took that letter to the sheriffs office and took care of that and now he doesn't call the cops on me lol. It's not just me lots of other people have loud trucks around my house not as loud as my car of course. He even called the cops on someone in the middle of the day for hammering on there fence while repairing it. Some people are just control freaks I guess.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunick

Yes my grumpy old neighbor two houses down hates me. He has called the cops on me multiple times lol. I even got a letter saying I'm in probation for disturbing the peace. I took that letter to the sheriffs office and took care of that and now he doesn't call the cops on me lol. It's not just me lots of other people have loud trucks around my house not as loud as my car of course. He even called the cops on someone in the middle of the day for hammering on there fence while repairing it. Some people are just control freaks I guess.
Lol my buddy has the same setup (but without the headers) and its rediculously loud. I couldnt imagine it with the headers lmao
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT