Cold Air Intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Cold Air Intake

Do all cai do the same or is it better to spend more on one?
03fastblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Re: Cold Air Intake

The $400 one will do the same thing as the $74 on AM. Heck, PVC pipe and some rubber couplers will do the job if you really wanna know the truth
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Thanks man I appreciate it.
03fastblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

WAIT!!!! Lol... No offense to Cody, but please don't take that advice!! I strongly recommend getting a proper CAI. Personally I will never get anything except a K&N cold air kit. They go through a lot of research to design a proper intake setup. Another good company is either C&L or JLT. Both of those companies are also well known. Many companies also research material used for their piping to help reduce intake air temperature so you get cooler, denser air into your engine which helps create more power. Also, they research and develop the smoothest possible pipe angles and dimensions so that your intake air has the path of least resistance into your engine which helps keep it cooler, and helps keep velocity up. Trust me.. PVC pipe and rubber couplers may be a cheap quick few HP, but an investment into your engine will prove much better for the life and performance of your car in the long run, which will help you save money and be happier. Plus, when you pop open your hood, seeing a proper CAI kit versus some thrown together hacked up PVC pipe with funny looking rubber couplers and duct tape or whatever is always a bonus. I respect people who put effort and time into they're cars and a little extra money versus backyard wannabe mechanics. Hope this helps man, and good luck!!
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted
WAIT!!!! Lol... No offense to Cody, but please don't take that advice!! I strongly recommend getting a proper CAI. Personally I will never get anything except a K&N cold air kit. They go through a lot of research to design a proper intake setup. Another good company is either C&L or JLT. Both of those companies are also well known. Many companies also research material used for their piping to help reduce intake air temperature so you get cooler, denser air into your engine which helps create more power. Also, they research and develop the smoothest possible pipe angles and dimensions so that your intake air has the path of least resistance into your engine which helps keep it cooler, and helps keep velocity up. Trust me.. PVC pipe and rubber couplers may be a cheap quick few HP, but an investment into your engine will prove much better for the life and performance of your car in the long run, which will help you save money and be happier. Plus, when you pop open your hood, seeing a proper CAI kit versus some thrown together hacked up PVC pipe with funny looking rubber couplers and duct tape or whatever is always a bonus. I respect people who put effort and time into they're cars and a little extra money versus backyard wannabe mechanics. Hope this helps man, and good luck!!
Lol no offense taken. I would never suggest for some to do that. I was just making a point lol
Old 02-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
Road Trip!

LOL I figured, but I just wnated to make sure!! You know how some people are, they'll listen to anything. Didn't wanna see that happen to a fellow stang!!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

I got the $75 from AM, works just fine for me. Noticeable increase in power. Worth the money.
StackeStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:07 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

K&N, AIRRAID or JLT would be my choice. Go with a CAI with Plastic plumbing instead of metal.
rk122075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #9
Road Trip!

I second the plastic tubing!! Lighter weight and less temperature interference!!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

+1 on k&n... i only got mine a week ago, and there IS a difference in throttle response, power, and sound. wasn't really noticeable on first day, but after using car little bit for couple of days, definitely!

plus. i also wanted the plastic intake tubes for reasons stated above, and i prefer the black over chrome look under the hood

one drawback i found was the inlet hose for IAT sensor actually HITS the oil fill neck/filler cap! (had read this somewhere but took a chance, and the customers review was right!) NOTE: i believe this only occurs on 99-04 models. the unit was built for several applications. i will just try to see if i can find another rubber hose/elbow and modify the routing. i called k&n and they have no other inlet tubes to fit, so kind of stuck with having to do something myself.

only other beef was instructions could have been just a little more polished, BUT, having said this i am going to keep it as i am very impressed with it's performance and will deal with the minor 'design' flaw!!!

my steeda tri-ax should be here today
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Just buy the AM 80$ one and get a k&n filter.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
K&N All the way! Only CAI ill use ever. I love its design, it is well made, and you can Definitely notice a difference
Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

jlt requires a tuner anyway
Old 02-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted View Post
I second the plastic tubing!! Lighter weight and less temperature interference!!
The air flowing thru the tube will keep it cool enough. 10 or 15 degrees wont make enough difference to even notice. No point in spending 350 on a plastic JLT when you can spen 75 for the AM one and then drop the rest of that money on something else more worth while
Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson

The air flowing thru the tube will keep it cool enough. 10 or 15 degrees wont make enough difference to even notice. No point in spending 350 on a plastic JLT when you can spen 75 for the AM one and then drop the rest of that money on something else more worth while
+1
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson

Yea but you start addin sh** thats metal or anything like it and it all adds up. It also depends on how you want whats under your hood to look
Old 02-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

And it will give you a sound too people like the sound of it
Old 02-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted View Post
Sounds great, but here's what I posted recently (party pooper):

Hello folks,

About the CAI, always remember that unless you are doing forced induction (ram air; super charger; turbo), the CAI is all you have to maximize the volume of oxygen that reaches the combustion chamber. The ECU compensates for the added air intake (sensors), and automatically adjusts the air-fuel ratio (more fuel to meet added oxygen), wallah you just added horsepower. How much you say, well that depends, for some its improved throttle response, more oxygen entering the cylinders. What must be realized is that adding more oxygen to the engine requires some adjustments such as air fuel ratio(ignition timing follows). Find a good guide on engine tuning and you just might be on your way to becoming a horsepower junkie, after all you just hit one of the nerve centers of HP. Don't give up just yet.

Ok, reality check. I have been draggin my old 97 GT Vert up hill for a long time, here's my experiences to HP making in the flow arena:

Dumped the BBK fenderwell, vacuum cleaner, with lawn mower air filter for an under hood CAI from Steeda (foot-long filter that whistles/sings to me). Results, avoided catastrophic engine damage whenever my local highway threatens to float my car away during torrential rains (foot deep in Ft Bragg), which could also cause direct water uptake to the engine. I didn't switch the thing for power but its a plus. Under hood air temps are warmer.

Increased flow by adding a fine set of Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. Works great with X-Pipes. Really winds up in first gear, 0-4500 rpm (slowly), making it sould like a you got a super charger or something only better cuz it hits decibel notes north of 75Kz then disappears (useful). Its not easy to get a flowmaster to reach its tuning notes. Passing under overpasses is like being in the thunder dome for a hot second. It makes Shelbys sound peaceful because the notes are strictly Flow, not attack muff. Ok, guess I am a flow junkie. nough said. movin on. I like Shelbys but till I own one its game on.

Improved flow by finally dumping the stock cats; 6 cats total (3 on each side), and replaced them with BBK off-road X-Pipes (2 cats).

Getting the added oxygen flow to the engine without forced induction called for the help of a BBK (BBK/Edelbrock stamped 75mm) throttle body. Awesome!!

Result of all that stuff, bolt-ons: The engine surpassed the capability of the stock ECU and sent the O-2 haywire. Yep, had to tune to move on, and throw in a dyno.

So, let me see, increased oxygen in, blocked (reduced flow) stock tail pipes and cats. Hmmm, what gives?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:12 AM   #19
Road Trip!

One thing I really like to try to tell/teach people is to remember the following question when it comes to upgrades and power: what + what + what = hp? It can end up being a whole list of things but in the case of air in you must remember you need to also get the air out plus a little extra to make power. Don't expect to be able to make much power by getting an awesome CAI, a huge throttle body, and adding NOS or doing a port job but keeping the stock exhaust. Also remember that once you have a good amount of air coming in and the proper exhaust, your computer can only compensate fuel to a certain extent before you're outside of it's stock boundaries. At that point a tune is required to expand the boundaries to get more power... but then once you've allowed that much more air in you have to be careful about running into a lean situation. Always remember, LEAN IS MEAN. It causes detonation which is the anti christ of the engine/power development hunger. Rich is safe. The key is to get the proper amount of air in, plus fuel mixture, plus proper burn, plus air out to make gobs of power. I always recomend high quality synthetic oil, a high quality CAI, excellant plugs and coils, and a properly sized and tuned exhaust. Then get a programmer. Then do gears. Next comes underdrive pulleys and an electric fan. Then clutch and flywheel. After all of this.. upgrade your fuel and throttle body. Then do a port and polish. If by this point you haven't had a serious taste of what these ponies can do, consider going further with a supercharger or turbo set up or possibly NOS. This will more than likely require your engine to be disassembled for upgrades and then we're talking bigger bucks then the above mentioned upgrades. And it's not always the case.. but typically. Just remember.. once bitten... I hope this helps a bit, and remember, you don't have to take my advice as it's not always in everyones budget or interest.. I'm just repeating what I've found to work and what's worked for many many others.
"Engines are designed by Science Analysis, and Physical Facts."
We didn't get to where we are today by ignoring this.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

k-t,
couple ?s if i can ask... i'm just starting work on my car and was wondering:

1. why do you say wait on TB... was kinda figuring after cai(already done) and some exhaust work(cat back, and MAYBE an x, or chambered h, with no cats), my car(04 gt) would benefit from a 70 mm(i understand going larger no benefit unless switching to some type of forced air system?!) and new plenum? and tune to match of course.
2. does aftermarket coil on/plugs benefit simple bolt on modded car???
3. do u-p drives REALLY improve performance?!!!
4. does UPS deliver on saturday; my s-t shifter didn't make it here yesterday eve

also wondering if you have tune... more later on your reply
peace-
joe
Old 02-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Well Written K Twisted.
More or Less the order I kind of did it in. I did gears first as the 4.6L is an absolute dog out of the whole with stock 3.27's but I already had the SCT tuner so it wasn't as much of a hit on the wallet. I watched the forums and found a used C&L upper Plenum It's cheaper that way...I don't tend to like to buy alot of used parts but somethings if you can save money on it then why not. Attached a 70mm TB to it, backed by a DENSECHARGER fenderwell intake. To exhaust it I used a magnaflow Catted X pipe backed by a flowmaster cat back... Also found the X pipe used off of a local gusy show car with less than 500Km.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked View Post
k-t,

1. why do you say wait on TB... was kinda figuring after cai(already done) and some exhaust work(cat back, and MAYBE an x, or chambered h, with no cats), my car(04 gt) would benefit from a 70 mm(i understand going larger no benefit unless switching to some type of forced air system?!) and new plenum? and tune to match of course.
4. does UPS deliver on saturday; my s-t shifter didn't make it here yesterday eve

peace-
joe

Hi Joe!!
Ok so here's the thing.. the order that I said, isn't necessarily a set in stone 'formula' for power, and typically for each new component you're gonna wanna do a re-tune on your ECM. Only makes sense right? You're getting the most programming possible for every mod on your car. These two things coupled together can make some truly wicked combinations. Things that will make people who order their parts without thought out of a JEG's catalougue after reading some advertising that this certain amazing part will give them 25 extra horsepower or something and then they watch your taillights pull away from them. Trust me, when you know what you're doing, the people who don't know what they're doing have a hard time justifying spending 3 grand on a supercharger and walking you leave them in the dust with basic bolt ons and a proper tune. I've seen a 287 HP car weighing in at over 4000 pounds run in the 11s on the quarter. It all goes back to Science Analysis and Physical fact. So to answer your questions..
1.) I say wait on the throttle body for one simple reason. People in the aviation business have known about it since they started figuring out how to use an engine to spin a propeller. It's called the venturii effect. If you have a huge CAI pipe, a big open throttle body, and a port job you would think that you're getting a massive amount of air in right? Well.. it's true to an extent, but what most people forget about is velocity. Without velocity, you don't have an ideal air/fuel mixture and this means your burn isn't as neat or as powerful as it could be. It's like putting your thumb on the end of a hose. Sure you add resistance to flow, but you add velocity, and the two of these in the right combo with the right tune gives really good power. By opening up the throttle body, if flow isn't kept up through the whole system, you're allowing the air molecules to linger longer in the intake tract which allows them to warm up and slow down which creates less air in the combustion chamber. I admit, a small increase in TB size can and probably will yield gains in power and torque, I just say to wait to justify the cost for when it will truly add REAL gains to power. Basically like when you NEED a bigger hole to allow for more air because you're practically suffocating your engine. At that point, get a bigger TB unless you wanna spend a lot for a little.
2.) I would say yes. MSD and others would agree with me. Not just to get your money, but because having a better spark allows you to push the limits a little further. Remember, what + what + what = power? You need spark, air, and fuel for power. When you can maximize all three, you're in for some truly epic gains. I run MSD coil over plugs with NGK iridium 9 spark plugs on my car, and although I have half an exhaust and only the K&N CAI, I did notice a jump in fuel economy, and top end power. The faster your engine is revving, the less time between sparks you're getting. This results in a not very efficient burn at higher RPM which creates a loss in power. This is because air and fuel are moving so fast that it doesn't give very much time for a burn compared to at idle and much slower RPMs. With an aftermarket ignition that can keep that strong spark even at high RPMs.. you just gained a bunch on the top end and you'll notice that where your car used to start slacking off.. now it stays strong. Plus, when you add a little of the laughing gas to the mix, a better spark is essential to burn off the added fuel and air. Having the correct combo puts the laugh from the tank into your chest as you scream down the street at 5500 RPM.
3.) Yes. Underdrive pulleys act the same way as a light weight flywheel, a light weight drive shaft, and eliminating an engine driven fan for an electric one. What we're getting into here is called parasitic drag. Imagine swinging a bat through the air. Now imagine swinging a sky scraper. It requires much more energy to swing a larger, heavier object. When it comes to your engine, any weight your engine has to move or rotate requires power to do so. This robs you of available power to send to the wheels. If you can slow down power robbing accessories by spinning them slower, and lighten the weight of the pulleys that are attached to them at the same time, you just saved power. DON'T GET THIS CONFUSED WITH ADDING POWER. U/D pullies do NOT add power, they simply free up power your engine is using to spin them. There are SO many places in your engine that rob you power that by the time you go from the piston to where the rubber meets the road you would be horrified at the amount of power you lost. So much so that many huge companies have invested TONS of money into research on what to lighten, and where to lighten it, and how to cause it to drag less all in the name of better fuel efficiency and more power. They've literally paid engineers out the A$$ to come up with equations on how to help with this problem. So Yes. They really do help.
4.) I believe they do, but please don't quote me as I've never worked for them, and I have no clue how they run their business. But I do believe they do.

Hope all this helps!!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Another very well written Post man. Way to keep it indepth yet simple to understand!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
UPS only delivers on Saturday if your seller has a contract with them to do so. It costs the shipper more money so a lot of places don't do it.

Make car go fast? I have nothing to add to that in-depth lesson in engine performance.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

i shoulda just sent u my ph # man!

thanks 4 ur INPUT
1. nah, wanna spend a little for a LOT! (i think kinda know if/when i'll do my TB/plenum and tune update)
2. i WILL look into the coil ons and new plugs. increase in fuel econ. AND top-end always good!
3. i def. will continue to consider u-p drive (and maybe even smog, or a/c delete?) power robbing accessories... NOT good!
4. saw a UPS truck GO BY about an hour ago(so i guess they do work saturdays!)... just didn't stop at my house!

thx agin, tlk 2 u later, and have a great day
joe
Old 02-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange
UPS only delivers on Saturday if your seller has a contract with them to do so. It costs the shipper more money so a lot of places don't do it.

Make car go fast? I have nothing to add to that in-depth lesson in engine performance.
+1
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Not to intrude on the conversation, but it seems like I've stumbled upon some serious knowledge and I have a few ?'s. I have the $75 CAI from AM, and the SCT tuner. Would y'all suggest exhaust, coils and plugs as my next investment? I have a shopping cart started on AM with those items, along with gears, TB, and u/d pulleys so far.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Exhaust would be an excellent next mod. You need to exhaust the air you're taking in. Besides, Exhuast sounds excellent! Are you doing a mid pipe and cat back? That would be the best gains. But it all comes down to budget. GEARS!! I love gears... Best single mod for sure!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I have the MagnaFlow catback exhaust and Ford Racing 4.10 gears on my list. Just not sure what order I need my mods in.... I posted a pic of my list on my profile.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by StackeStang
I have the MagnaFlow catback exhaust and Ford Racing 4.10 gears on my list. Just not sure what order I need my mods in.... I posted a pic of my list on my profile.
Add a catless H-pipe to that list. Gotta get a tuner but it'll open the system up.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I have the tuner on its way already, thanks
Old 02-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #32

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by StackeStang
I have the tuner on its way already, thanks
What tuner did u get?
GT04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

the SCT tuner from AM. cheapest one
Old 02-26-2012, 02:27 AM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk122075 View Post
Another very well written Post man. Way to keep it indepth yet simple to understand!
Thanks RK!!

---------- Post added at 02:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackeStang View Post
I'm kind of curious if there is a specific reason you chose the 4.10 gear set up.. As for the order of mods, I typically tell people like this: intake, exhaust, tune, spark, gears, weight reduction. Personally if I were you, I would wait on getting a TB until later and put that money towards something else. I listed a bunch of reasons above, but a main point I didn't hit on so hard was typically you won't really 'need' a larger TB until you do a port and pollish job, a valve job, and get some cams. However, if you decide to do a power adder such as a turbo or supercharger, more than likely you'll need one, and they even sell kits where the turbo/supercharger comes with a matched TB and tuner. When it comes to exhaust, I always recommend a good set of ceramic headers in the proper size. Why go half way on an exhaust? It's like walking out of a giant room in your house through a 3 foot high 2 foot wide door into a nice large hallway. In other words.. a restriction. I know it can be pricey, but once spent, it leaves plenty of room for a ton of more power. You can always come back at a later time and get headers, but then if you do half an exhaust now, and headers later.. you end up spending more by taking two trips to an exhaust shop, that or having to work under your car and busting knuckles twice instead of once. Just my recomendation though. As for everything else, pretty much what most people start out with. There isn't really any 'order' but a big thing I push is get that tuner!! It helps every step of the way and maximizes each additional change you make. Hope all this is still helping!!

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked View Post
k-t,

peace-
joe
I forgot to answer about your question on if I had a tune or not. Frankly, I don't know. I personally haven't set one up, but I'm not really sure what the previous owner did. I got the car with half an exhaust and a 50 or 75 shot of NOS, some cobra wheels and tires, and some wiring for a sound system. That's about all I really know, but compared to other mostly stock GT's it really picks up and goes which makes me think that there may have been a mild cam job or a tune, or maybe rear end gears. I just don't know.. Not bad for 145K miles.. and that's the beauty of it. Learning your car as you go, setting it up how you want it, and making sure the job is done just right. Since I got the car, I done some things to it. I added a K&N FIPK CAI to it, put in NGK Iridium 9 spark plugs, MSD COP's, did a battery relocation to the trunk, upgraded to an Optima red top battery, added a rear mounted shock brace, bought (but haven't installed) UPR U/D pullies, and put in Amsoil 0W-20 Signature Series premium synthetic oil. I have an entire shopping list of things I'm thinking about doing to it, but the problem is I really really badly want another 03/04 Cobra. Most of the things I want to do, the Cobra already has and I'd actually save money on upgrades by having a car that comes stock with a lot of the things I want. I just can't decide. Earlier I said, "Once Bitten".. and it holds true. Either way I'll end up doing something.. who knows. Maybe one day I'll have my GT, AND a cobra. We'll see.. take care all!!

---------- Post added at 02:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
cold air intake