Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Boost...

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  mustang02GT 
#1 ·
What's a safe amount of boost that can be ran on a stock 4.6L 2v gt motor?! Thanks for the info...

#10 ·
Personally, I would do a lot of other 'prep' work to get ready for a turbo or supercharger set up. You can gain a lot of power with simple bolt ons, and after those, if you're still itching, then you're already set up to handle the next step and go with a power adder. By prep work I mean, full exhaust already sized to handle what you will eventually do, ignition, and fuel upgrades. They sell turbo/supercharger kits that already come with the fuel upgrades and a tuning package, but I would just make da** sure your internals will handle the added power. But, like I said, just my opinion. If you wanna know more I can help you out with all the math and give some suggestions if you would like. It's up to you. Later man!!

#11 ·
Just remember your putting more pressure on internals. You could add NOS on a stock motor just not advised. You would rather save up and do it right the first time than get in a hurry and spend more money in the long run. Big stroker fan. I'd Follow the same rout I'm going with a turbo.

#12 ·
NOS on a stock motor shouldn't hurt anything as long as your engine is mechanically sound and you're not going crazy with the shot amount. I have a 50 shot on my engine which is pretty much stock and have no problems. Most OEM applications can handle a 50 - 125 shot before needing upgrades, although just to be safe I really wouldn't go over 100. Good luck on the turbo!! Great top end power adders.. personally i'm a supercharger fan, but that's cuz I had an 03 cobra.. my love will prolly never die. But turbo's are wicked in their own rights too!!

#13 ·
K Twisted said:
NOS on a stock motor shouldn't hurt anything as long as your engine is mechanically sound and you're not going crazy with the shot amount. I have a 50 shot on my engine which is pretty much stock and have no problems. Most OEM applications can handle a 50 - 125 shot before needing upgrades, although just to be safe I really wouldn't go over 100. Good luck on the turbo!! Great top end power adders.. personally i'm a supercharger fan, but that's cuz I had an 03 cobra.. my love will prolly never die. But turbo's are wicked in their own rights too!!
Oh for sure. I know I few people that run a small shot on some stock 4.6"s.

#14 ·
K Twisted said:
Personally, I would do a lot of other 'prep' work to get ready for a turbo or supercharger set up. You can gain a lot of power with simple bolt ons, and after those, if you're still itching, then you're already set up to handle the next step and go with a power adder. By prep work I mean, full exhaust already sized to handle what you will eventually do, ignition, and fuel upgrades. They sell turbo/supercharger kits that already come with the fuel upgrades and a tuning package, but I would just make da** sure your internals will handle the added power. But, like I said, just my opinion. If you wanna know more I can help you out with all the math and give some suggestions if you would like. It's up to you. Later man!!
What would you suggest bolt on wise for prep work??

#15 ·
I always suggest CAI (K&N FIPK, JLT, or C&L), exhaust (full setup w/ long tubes that are properly sized), MSD (or similar) coil over plugs, good spark plugs, a strong battery (i like optima's), a good synthetic oil (I like amsoil), under drive pullies, and electric fan if you don't already have one, get a tuner so you can maximize your upgrades (I've heard SCT is really good and plan on getting one) gears in the rear end, maybe a short throw shifter, an upgraded clutch and a lighter weight flywheel, an aluminum or light weight driveshaft. After all that, if you still want more, consider a 50 to a 100 shot of NOS. If that isn't your thing, a good port and pollish job will really help, and a valve job. After all that, consider a larger TB and a turbo or supercharger setup. I always try to go with the cheaper things first and step my way up. It helps with learning the car, and that way I don't jump from 300 horses to 550 horses and wrap my car around a pole or tree. If I gradually step up, I can really get a feel for what the car is doing with each mod, and it gives me an indication of what I might want my next mod to be. Plus I get used to each increase in power so that by the time i'm at 550, i can still drive it like if it only had 300. Not to mention that going with smaller mods first is easier on the wallet, and as you step up in power, occasionally you'll find weak components on your car that need replacing as you go that can't handle a large amount of power at once. This way, as you upgrade, you're also strengthening your car for the future. I hope all this helps man!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.