Nitrous.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Nitrous..

I've got a 04 gt and been thinkn bout puttin the bottle on it.. What can it hold up to safely? I was thinkn bout 150? It's got long tubes o/r x pipe intake throttle body clutch short throw pullies and tuned. Thanks
Jsansom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
If this is your dd...all i can say is dont do it
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Whys tht?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
If its ur DD, id go with a 75 or 100, I also wouldnt hit it that much, just once n a while
shsfresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I was thinkn 100. And no just everynow and then.. Didn't plan on drivin to work spraying all the time lol.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shsfresh87
If its ur DD, id go with a 75 or 100, I also wouldnt hit it that much, just once n a while
+11. Pluss keep the spray for the track!.. Some areas say you can't even have it when your driving on the streets!..

Just check your local laws as to what they say about it!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It's ok where I live.. My moms a dispatcher for the city and county police so I had her check tht already.. And I would keep it for the track but I want a street beast..
Old 02-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsansom
It's ok where I live.. My moms a dispatcher for the city and county police so I had her check tht already.. And I would keep it for the track but I want a street beast..
Cool!.. Just make sure you stay on top of if!.. I know some areas are real A$$ holes when it comes to spray!..
Old 02-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I will! Thanks for the help!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Just cause spray causes the engine to wear down faster, if you have stock internals they werent designed to handle that kind of power. If you have a car wih higher mileage i would be concerned with it going boom and be stranded thats why. But its your car
Old 02-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Nitrous is really not as bad *** people say it is. Its been having a bad rap due to movies and ****. I have had it on plenty of vehicles and even on my bike in the process of putting a 75 shot on my roush. Its all in the tune
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya I will! Thanks for the help!
No problem!..
Old 02-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I've heard the same thing it's all in the tune.. I have my car tuned with Bama frm am
Old 02-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50
Just cause spray causes the engine to wear down faster, if you have stock internals they werent designed to handle that kind of power. If you have a car wih higher mileage i would be concerned with it going boom and be stranded thats why. But its your car
I wasn't arguin with u I was just askin for ur opinion on why not to do it..
Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Tune is the most important issue. My stock short block has been getting sprayed with a 100 shot for 6 years and never had a problem. The law stats from what I've seen is during normal operation the bottle has to be shut and hose disconnected
Old 02-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr
Tune is the most important issue. My stock short block has been getting sprayed with a 100 shot for 6 years and never had a problem. The law stats from what I've seen is during normal operation the bottle has to be shut and hose disconnected
Where r u located at? And I plan on gettin a nitrous tune frm am? I've nvr had any problems with them and my tuning.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Im not arguing bro if i was arguing id be like **** lol but its just my opinion like you said. I just dont think its worth it. However my friend has a stang with nitrous (track car) and went a full sec quicker in the 1/4 with it before and after, now keep in mind it was a 150 shot and it was a different day even tho the temps were similar and no wind
Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50
Im not arguing bro if i was arguing id be like **** lol but its just my opinion like you said. I just dont think its worth it. However my friend has a stang with nitrous (track car) and went a full sec quicker in the 1/4 with it before and after, now keep in mind it was a 150 shot and it was a different day even tho the temps were similar and no wind
Alright. Well it's still just an idea tht I'm throwing around..
Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Nitrous..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsansom View Post
Where r u located at? And I plan on gettin a nitrous tune frm am? I've nvr had any problems with them and my tuning.
I dont think bama does tunes for Nitrous. And if they did i wouldnt trust it
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Why would u trust it?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Quote:
Ya I was thinkn 100. And no just everynow and then.. Didn't plan on drivin to work spraying all the time lol.
that's the Best way to get to work though
Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Why would u trust it?
They only do basic tuning. They have canned file tunes and dont do more complicated things such as nitrous, heads, and cams
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Ah I See so where could I get a nitrous tune for my car then?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ah I See so where could I get a nitrous tune for my car then?
Best bet would be bring it to a performance shop thats the only way i trust a nitrous tune. I advise against something like a email tune for nitrous
Old 02-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Ya Thts what I figured. And the closest one to me is like hour and half away I think..
Old 02-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya Thts what I figured. And the closest one to me is like hour and half away I think..
It will be worth the trip if you decide to go with the spray.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I deff wouldnt trust handheld tuners, going to a performance shop is way better imo. Remember every car is different in its own way
Old 03-03-2012, 03:02 AM   #28
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Nitrous is really not as bad *** people say it is. Its been having a bad rap due to movies and ****. I have had it on plenty of vehicles and even on my bike in the process of putting a 75 shot on my roush. Its all in the tune
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
I dont think bama does tunes for Nitrous. And if they did i wouldnt trust it
They do have tunes for Nitrous. Got a friend with an 05 GT running a 100 shot. They sent him his tune and it made a huge difference. The thing is though, my friend and I both went to school for it, so we double checked their tune and actually it's pretty accurate. I trust Bama... but I can't say the same for the rest of them.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted

They do have tunes for Nitrous. Got a friend with an 05 GT running a 100 shot. They sent him his tune and it made a huge difference. The thing is though, my friend and I both went to school for it, so we double checked their tune and actually it's pretty accurate. I trust Bama... but I can't say the same for the rest of them.
Ok thanks man.. I've been on the phone with them talk bout it.. Like I've said before my car had been tuned with them. And until I run into a problem with it. I'll keep it tht way.. Thanks again for ur input
Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #30
Road Trip!

No problem man, I love helping whenever I can. Good luck with everything!!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
No problem man, I love helping whenever I can. Good luck with everything!!
^^ they told me they'd write me one too.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
^^ they told me they'd write me one too.
Awesome!! Lemme know how it helps!! I'm always curious!!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Ive heard never run nitrous and something that enhances spark like my msd coils? I didnt think itd matter especially with a tune. And I have an auto with shift kit and heavy duty converter..would a 100 shot kill my trans?
mhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobbs View Post
Ive heard never run nitrous and something that enhances spark like my msd coils? I didnt think itd matter especially with a tune. And I have an auto with shift kit and heavy duty converter..would a 100 shot kill my trans?
Using NOS is simply just adding more air to your intake that's already coming in. Without extra fuel, this can lean out your air/fuel mixture. Too much NOS on a stock ECM will out-do the ECM's capabilites which is why it's very important to not get greedy with the spray. However, the more you cram into your combustion chamber, the harder it is to ignite everything, especially at higher RPM ranges where flow is so fast and valves are moving so much more quickly, that a stock ignition has a hard time keeping everything popping. I always tell people, what + what + what = HP? The answers are endless, but the bottom line is this. When you upgrade one thing, typically you're going to need a couple of other things to balance everything out so it all works in harmony. In this case, we have a situation of air + fuel + spark = power. If you add NOS, you're getting more air.. this requires more fuel, and having more fuel and more air means you should definately consider having more spark. You certainly won't hurt anything by doing a mild upgrade using MSD coil over plugs and good quality spark plugs. You'll even notice a mild increase in top end power and torque, and an increase in fuel efficiency when not using NOS because you're getting a better burn at higher RPMs than you would in stock configuration. This allows the drop off in the power band to be raised a little bit.. which is a performance increase. Just make sure that when using NOS, use a premium/high octane fuel to reduce chances of detonation from the lean condition. Again, this higher octane is harder to ignite (that's the point) so a better spark plug and ignition system can only help.
To answer your second question, most stock engine set ups that are mechanically sound and in good working condition can typically handle a 50 to 125 shot of NOS in a dry spray form. Personally, I don't recommend going over 100 because it's hard to determine if other parts on your car can handle it. Just because the engine might be able to, doesn't mean other things can. It depends on how hard things have been used, and how well they've been maintained. I would say if everything is working nicely on your car, and you don't go over a 100 shot, and you use the proper nitrous set up, you shouldn't have a problem with your drivetrain. If you go all Fast and Furious on it with a button that you use to kick off the NOS.. that instantaneous bang over time can wear things out much faster. I always recommend getting a WOT and RPM activator. My car is set up so that the toggle switch must be in the on Position, the nitrous tank must be open, I must be at WOT and at least 2300 RPMs before the NOS will even kick in. At that point the extra power really doesn't hurt anything. MSD sells the RPM activators, but most nitrous kits (like those from Zex and others) come with their own hardware to use to activate the nitrous. I hope all this helps!!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

Awesome!! Lemme know how it helps!! I'm always curious!!
I won't be spraying, I was actually gathering info on my chip and dude mentioned they could do it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
nitrous