Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Intake manifold problems...

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mikehailey02gt 
#1 ·
Hope I don't get any one upset, Ive done about 3 days of research and I'm still confused. Anyway, long story short I had an engine swap done on an 01 mustang gt, used all of my accosories including the intake manifold. After a couple of days I noticed it had a leak in a very common place (where the hose connects) so I thought no biggie time for a new one anyway. So after paying for the engine and swap I was left almost broke so aluminum was out of the question, however i had enough for a ford racing PI intake manifold. Once I got it, I took it to the shop where my mechanic said hed swap it for free. Later that day, he tells me it does not fit, and it seems like the bottom part is much larger. And when when it sits on the motor, it hovers. Does this mean I have a non PI motor now? (non PI heads) He states the engine was pulled out of an 04gt. I have also done research on non PI engines using PI intakes with modifications such as adapters and or RTV, i guess I'm just lost because I thought that the FR PI IM would be a direct fit. I read reviews on American muscle saying that the biggest problem they encounter is the modification of the alternator bracket but that's it. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, did some more research and it looks like the intake manifold that I had on my car was a non PI manifold, I googled many pics and it's a close resemblance. Makes me wonder if the previous did other ghetto types of mods that caused me to have to replace the engine. Idk.. I hope I'm able to get some good knowledge here. Sorry for venting, thanks for reading. :banghead:

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Mind the crappy website, it was the only I could upload and show y'all pics.

http://intakemanifoldpics.shutterfly.com/pictures#n_5

See less See more
#2 ·
mikehailey02gt said:
Hope I don't get any one upset, Ive done about 3 days of research and I'm still confused. Anyway, long story short I had an engine swap done on an 01 mustang gt, used all of my accosories including the intake manifold. After a couple of days I noticed it had a leak in a very common place (where the hose connects) so I thought no biggie time for a new one anyway. So after paying for the engine and swap I was left almost broke so aluminum was out of the question, however i had enough for a ford racing PI intake manifold. Once I got it, I took it to the shop where my mechanic said hed swap it for free. Later that day, he tells me it does not fit, and it seems like the bottom part is much larger. And when when it sits on the motor, it hovers. Does this mean I have a non PI motor now? (non PI heads) He states the engine was pulled out of an 04gt. I have also done research on non PI engines using PI intakes with modifications such as adapters and or RTV, i guess I'm just lost because I thought that the FR PI IM would be a direct fit. I read reviews on American muscle saying that the biggest problem they encounter is the modification of the alternator bracket but that's it. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, did some more research and it looks like the intake manifold that I had on my car was a non PI manifold, I googled many pics and it's a close resemblance. Makes me wonder if the previous did other ghetto types of mods that caused me to have to replace the engine. Idk.. I hope I'm able to get some good knowledge here. Sorry for venting, thanks for reading. :banghead:

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Mind the crappy website, it was the only I could upload and show y'all pics.

I dont know how much help itll be but i did an engine swap on my 96 and i just transfered everything right over. If the pi intake doesnt work, get the oem one. However, if you are going for performance, then you might want to take a look at pi heads And intake. I tried doing the same swap on mine, just the pi intake though, and it wouldnt work.

#3 ·
The PI intake will fit the non-PI and PI heads with minor problems. But if the engine came out of a 04, the PI intake will fit as the engine already was equipped that way. I'm willing to bet that your mechanic is trying to put the intake on top of the water transfer hoses insyead of moving them over.

#4 ·
Thank you guys for responding. After doing some more research I googled pics of PI heads and intake manifolds compared to the non PI. Aperantly my mechanic did not now the difference and thought all 4.6 v8's were the same. I got the pics on my iPad and showed him the difference in the heads how the non PI heads have a tear shape where PI heads have have a bigger rectangular shape ports. I was also lucky enough to find a pic of a non pi engine adapting the hose in between the heads to have the PI intake fit.*

Also found out... That the 04 gt had a swap done before it was wrecked and became my donor car. Seems like it had a 96-98 engine which is what is sitting in my car right now.*

This finally explains why the Ford Racing PI Intake manifold did not fit. I brought this up to the mechanic and told him straight up. I didn't pay for non PI motor. Since Im still within 30 days of "warranty" he's going to call the folks that sold him the engine to see what can be done. I'm so relieved that I found out what the problem was. I'll do my best to post the pictures I found as they are verrrrry helpful for anyone with PI swap/replacement questions.

If anyone cares, ill keep updating the thread as I get more info. thanks again*:headbang:

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Here's an updated link with the pics I found helpful

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.