Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Nitrous!

Tags
nitrous
2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  K Twisted 
#1 ·
Can you run 100 shot of nitrous through a stock motor?

#2 ·
Yes, get a tuner that will allow you to ****** your timing (usually 2 degrees/50hp of nitrous) a fuel pressure safety switch is also a good idea and a nice kit like ZEX for example, I wouldn't recommend a wet kit with the stock intake though, they are very common for fuel puddling and one good nitrous pop will shatter your plastic intake, trust me I've had it happen, also a set of cooler spark plugs, your stock bottom end is good for around 425-450hp if you have a good tune

#5 ·
Most engines that are mechanically sound and in good running order can handle anywhere from a 50 to a 125 shot of Nitrous. I wouldn't go over 100 personally. I have a 50 shot on mine with no other mods and it works just fine. A colder spark plug really isn't necessary unless you're going over a 125 shot. Just make sure that you use premium fuel to prevent detonation as Nitrous will lean out your intake charge. If going over a 125 shot like 125 to 200 shot (not recomended on a stock engine) then you'll need a separate fuel line to supply the solenoid, colder spark plugs, you'll need to ****** the ignition timing by about 4 degrees Total, and you'll need a high volume fuel pump. Guages are always a must. You'll need one that will tell you the bottle pressure. Ideal bottle pressure is right around 900 to 950 psi on an 85 - 90 degree day. A full bottle can vary from 750 to 1200 psi depending on the method used to fill the bottle, so a guage is a must. They also sell bottle wraps that will help keep your bottle at an even temperature so that you will always have the proper amount of Nitrous on hand. I hope all this helps!!

#6 ·
K Twisted said:
Most engines that are mechanically sound and in good running order can handle anywhere from a 50 to a 125 shot of Nitrous. I wouldn't go over 100 personally. I have a 50 shot on mine with no other mods and it works just fine. A colder spark plug really isn't necessary unless you're going over a 125 shot. Just make sure that you use premium fuel to prevent detonation as Nitrous will lean out your intake charge. If going over a 125 shot like 125 to 200 shot (not recomended on a stock engine) then you'll need a separate fuel line to supply the solenoid, colder spark plugs, you'll need to ****** the ignition timing by about 4 degrees Total, and you'll need a high volume fuel pump. Guages are always a must. You'll need one that will tell you the bottle pressure. Ideal bottle pressure is right around 900 to 950 psi on an 85 - 90 degree day. A full bottle can vary from 750 to 1200 psi depending on the method used to fill the bottle, so a guage is a must. They also sell bottle wraps that will help keep your bottle at an even temperature so that you will always have the proper amount of Nitrous on hand. I hope all this helps!!
Please don't take this the wrong way, I've been a tech for over 12 years now and I've run nitrous since I was 14, this is where forums are dangerous, some of this info is correct and u can get the same knowledge from an add in a summit magazine, but again if u are new to the wonderful world of nitrous listen to what I say, you have hypereutectic pistons, and small cast I-beam connecting rods that are the weak link in the ford mod motors, failure to use the correct heat range plug WILL cause piston damage and detonation can easily cause piston rod failure. Once again I'm not trying to be a jerk, Im just speaking from what I know, proper tuning is key along with the right combination of parts, you can disregard my input if u like but my fox went thousands of miles daily driven with a 200hp direct port, and my current 03' GT i drive to work almost every day when wether permits and thats pushing right about 550 rear wheel horsepower so I must know a little about something

#7 ·
LOL it's all good. I'm not trying to step on your shoes or anything either. I feel the same way about forums being dangerous, that's why I try to give the best knowledge I can. I have a degree in Automotive Technology and High Performance engineering. I can blueprint and build an 8000 HP NHRA drag motor running on Nitro Methane, or blueprint and build 8500 RPM revving NASCAR engines, I can map turbos for any setup, not just relying on the maps they provide from the turbo manufacturer, but actually map them. I always welcome additional advice though. I'm just relaying what I was taught by my high performance instructor who has over 30 years in the industry and was a high performance instructor for WyoTech before he got fed up with their political bullsh** and started his own school. He currently runs his own low 9 second 71 roadrunner just for fun. I too have had some powerful rides, but nothing over 450 HP.. yet. Built plenty of 500+ hp engines though.. I can give you the entire run down and history of Nitrous if you want though LOL. I'll give you an example of my current work for my own car. Just search for the thread I posted called "Here comes EXHAUST". you'll see an example of my work that I was trying to figure out for just header size on my car. I've since settled it, but it will give you a taste of what I do. Hope all this helps, and I'd be glad to help with anything else you or anyone has questions about. Thanks!!

#8 ·
K Twisted said:
LOL it's all good. I'm not trying to step on your shoes or anything either. I feel the same way about forums being dangerous, that's why I try to give the best knowledge I can. I have a degree in Automotive Technology and High Performance engineering. I can blueprint and build an 8000 HP NHRA drag motor running on Nitro Methane, or blueprint and build 8500 RPM revving NASCAR engines, I can map turbos for any setup, not just relying on the maps they provide from the turbo manufacturer, but actually map them. I always welcome additional advice though. I'm just relaying what I was taught by my high performance instructor who has over 30 years in the industry and was a high performance instructor for WyoTech before he got fed up with their political bullsh** and started his own school. He currently runs his own low 9 second 71 roadrunner just for fun. I too have had some powerful rides, but nothing over 450 HP.. yet. Built plenty of 500+ hp engines though.. I can give you the entire run down and history of Nitrous if you want though LOL. I'll give you an example of my current work for my own car. Just search for the thread I posted called "Here comes EXHAUST". you'll see an example of my work that I was trying to figure out for just header size on my car. I've since settled it, but it will give you a taste of what I do. Hope all this helps, and I'd be glad to help with anything else you or anyone has questions about. Thanks!!
Nice, so I take it u graduated from Wyotech also?

#9 ·
I thought about it, but it would have required me to move and I already had a friend in the school I chose to go to who had told me about his high performance instructor working there and then leaving and starting his own school. Then, the school I went to was so impressed with his teaching and knowledge that they offered him a position at their school which he accepted. A few years later, my friend went there, and then a year and a half later I went there. The school is one of Wyotech's competitors, but is less well known. It's a Colorado school called Intellitec, but a few months after I left, they really started going down hill with things. I found out about a year after I graduated that most of my instructors left at one point or another. It was due to a new dean coming in and changing a bunch of things (politics.. yet again). I graduated in May of 2010, and have since lost touch with my instructors, but the knowledge that I have in my notes and books and everything is retained. I like being on here because I can share that knowledge and find other people of similar knowledge or experience and learn off of them as well as help others. I have a personal vedetta against rice and camaros, so anything I can do to give the home team the advantage is what I like doing. Thanks for your interest!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.