Tuner vs Exhaust? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular
 
silvr002001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Washington
Posts: 270
Re: Tuner vs Exhaust?

You could maybe have some hi flow mufflers welded in and still get a tuner . Would be a little over 500 but it is an option.
silvr002001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvr002001
You could maybe have some hi flow mufflers welded in and still get a tuner . Would be a little over 500 but it is an option.
+11
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
 
CodyNelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,204
Re: Tuner vs Exhaust?

I agree with Kato, do the exhaust first and then the tuner. And just adding high flow mufflers wont do much at all. The reason people see power gains from a cat-back system is due to the enlarged piping. Just swapping mufflers wont give you much if anything at all
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular
 
silvr002001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Washington
Posts: 270
Re: Tuner vs Exhaust?

No the mufflers won't do much except make the car sound good. I was just sort of a cost effective best of both worlds kind of idea. He could always have different pipes put on later whn he had more jingle in his pocket. Just a suggestion though. I'm no expert.
silvr002001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvr002001
No the mufflers won't do much except make the car sound good. I was just sort of a cost effective best of both worlds kind of idea. He could always have different pipes put on later whn he had more jingle in his pocket. Just a suggestion though. I'm no expert.
He could also do an O/R mid pipe and a tuner!.. All for about $500!.. That way it's still better sound and alot better performance!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular
 
silvr002001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Washington
Posts: 270
Re: Tuner vs Exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
He could also do an O/R mid pipe and a tuner!.. All for about $500!.. That way it's still better sound and alot better performance!..
NICE!
silvr002001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvr002001

NICE!
It's pretty much what I did!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular
 
LAS97GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spring Lake
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 681
Re: Tuner vs Exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted View Post
Thanks LAS97.. I really appreciate that. You have some good/valid points there!!
You folks make my day, everyday. LOL, seriously you all do. I love learning, and this environment on the forum is great stimulation of the mechanical inclined senses of the Pony Car builder.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
I disagree with most up above. I say get the Exhaust first, then get the Tuner after.
Kato, don,t get it twisted and draw a definitive conclusion just yet. We are all quite aware through experience that making upgrades yeilds some changes in tolerances. The bottom line is choose either, but the best choice is to get the tuner first, and the posts above have illustrated that fact in one way or another. The post above also notifed the information requestor that he/she must decide on what is more important to the user (JCOb72), but with the understanding that the results may not be what is expected because the users intent is clearly to increase beyond stock parameters. We got that.

Welcome to the discussion.

During my upgrades I understood the factors that increased air induction had on the outpout of the engine, and fully expected the O2 sensors would not be able to compensate for down stream data flow back to the PCM. The eroneous reading from the the down stream sensor sent a rich signal to the PCM which corrected (over corrected) and changed cumbustion to lean; spark knocks followed. Because I was not a dummy I enlisted an expert to assist.

Whoa, goin breathless...continuing on...I had no choice to but to go tune.

So, if JCOB72 does go for exhaust upgrade, he/she will also need to be prepared to delete the down stream sensors "if" (if is good) they fault out. Mine took a few hundred plus miles before the PCM finally threw the signal.

End statement, do either, but be prepared to buy an antidote depending on budget, and then upgrade to clean, lean, mean, pony machine (no I won"t restate possible tuning requirements, its up top somewhere). I am a DIY not an operator.

Once again, welcome to the discussion. Thanks.
__________________
---Las97GT
LAS97GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #44
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Tuner vs Exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
You folks make my day, everyday. LOL, seriously you all do. I love learning, and this environment on the forum is great stimulation of the mechanical inclined senses of the Pony Car builder.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------


Kato, don,t get it twisted and draw a definitive conclusion just yet. We are all quite aware through experience that making upgrades yeilds some changes in tolerances. The bottom line is choose either, but the best choice is to get the tuner first, and the posts above have illustrated that fact in one way or another. The post above also notifed the information requestor that he/she must decide on what is more important to the user (JCOb72), but with the understanding that the results may not be what is expected because the users intent is clearly to increase beyond stock parameters. We got that.

Welcome to the discussion.

During my upgrades I understood the factors that increased air induction had on the outpout of the engine, and fully expected the O2 sensors would not be able to compensate for down stream data flow back to the PCM. The eroneous reading from the the down stream sensor sent a rich signal to the PCM which corrected (over corrected) and changed cumbustion to lean; spark knocks followed. Because I was not a dummy I enlisted an expert to assist.

Whoa, goin breathless...continuing on...I had no choice to but to go tune.

So, if JCOB72 does go for exhaust upgrade, he/she will also need to be prepared to delete the down stream sensors "if" (if is good) they fault out. Mine took a few hundred plus miles before the PCM finally threw the signal.

End statement, do either, but be prepared to buy an antidote depending on budget, and then upgrade to clean, lean, mean, pony machine (no I won"t restate possible tuning requirements, its up top somewhere). I am a DIY not an operator.

Once again, welcome to the discussion. Thanks.
I second this. (+2). It also really comes down to bang for the buck.. Most people from what I've seen want to get the most performance for their money. If you can gain more performance from a tuner and spend less while doing it.. well that just seems like common sense to me. Then save up, get an exhaust, you'll already have the tuner, and then you can tie it all in together and really max out your gains. Not to mention that if you get the tuner first, you are far less likely to run into problems that occur when you start slapping parts on but don't have a way to tie them together. Without tuners.. sometimes it can work, and sometimes it doesn't. With a tuner, you spend less, get more, and don't have to worry as much about tolerances and finicky computers and what not. But in the end, it's ultimately JCOB's decision. In the end, many people are going to have different opinions which stem from different experiences. Bottom line is, JCOB now has so much good advice and shared experience from everyone that now he should have no problem making a truly informed decision based off of his needs. (+1) to everyone for making this a truly unique place to learn, adapt, overcome, and move on in our never ending quest to send Chevy squeeling back to the drawing board.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tuner/ high mileage Siendly22 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 38 03-01-2012 11:22 AM
help with decision about full exhaust angelofrat42 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 11 03-01-2012 10:35 AM
SLP exhaust br10301 1996-2004 Mustang GT 2 02-28-2012 03:00 PM
1995 3.8 will a tuner work? lemons95 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 12 02-28-2012 07:50 AM
Just got my tuner StackeStang 1996-2004 Mustang GT 2 02-28-2012 12:01 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



09:26 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.