Nos... Just read and maybe answer?! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Nos... Just read and maybe answer?!

Have a 96 mustang with a swapped 98 V8 in it. It running fine but i have no clue how many miles are on it because its stopped at 133,338. Im not sure if that was the mileage on the v6 before or what but ive maybe put 5000 miles on it. Maybe. I want to get nitrous because i dont want to TC or SC it. To expensive and i dont want to push that much power all the time. I would spray probably once in a while and get the bottle all hooked up for drags or somethin. As well as for show. What would i have to do to get this done? And maybe price range? I have a k&n CAI and BBK throttlebody. I am getting a new fuel rail in a week so thatll be put in, its the original stock fuel rail with reg. inside. Thanks guys! And girls..
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota
Re: Nos... Just read and maybe answer?!

Personally I wouldn't go over a 100 shot. Most stock or lightly modified engines that are mechanically sound and in good running order can handle anywhere from a 50 to a 125 dry shot of nitrous. Most companies that sell nitrous kits include all the hardware you need to get started with it, and most of the time it's not very expensive. I've seen kits advertised anywhere from 200 to 450 dollars for starters. My recomendation would be to get make sure you have a kit designed to work with a toggle switch, and and RPM/WOT actuator (MSD sells these by the way and you can choose at what RPM you want it to kick on and off at). The way this works is you turn on the switch (make sure your tank is open), and then once you hit a set RPM at wide open throttle, the nitrous kicks in and will kick off again at a set RPM. That's pretty much it.. just don't get greedy. Also, some kits will include different pills (the restrictor in the nozzle that regulates how much is being released into the intake) so that you can start off with a 50 shot, and then change pills to larger sizes to get the best amount for your needs. Shots range in sizes of 25, which stands for 25 hp. I hope all this helps man, and good luck!!
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Without knowing the mileage or how the engine may have been treated previously, I would do a compression test on it first to see what kind of shape it is in.
A wet kit would be safer to use as they have another solenoid to add the extra fuel to keep you from going lean and burning a piston.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Without knowing the mileage or how the engine may have been treated previously, I would do a compression test on it first to see what kind of shape it is in.
A wet kit would be safer to use as they have another solenoid to add the extra fuel to keep you from going lean and burning a piston.
Thanks for the answers! I thought going dry was better on a stock 4.6! Not wet! At least thats what ive heard
Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness View Post
Thanks for the answers! I thought going dry was better on a stock 4.6! Not wet! At least thats what ive heard
I have to admit that I'm unfamiliar with using nitrous on a 4.6, but I don't see why it would be any different than any other engine?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

I have to admit that I'm unfamiliar with using nitrous on a 4.6, but I don't see why it would be any different than any other engine?
It's not.. Wetter is better
Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

It's not.. Wetter is better
TWSS

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post
TWSS
OK, now I feel like I've wandered into the weird side of You Tube again.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

OK, now I feel like I've wandered into the weird side of You Tube again.
Come on....everyone knew that was coming, I was just the first to post it!

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT

Maybe on that other site..
Old 03-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post
True, but it never ceases to amuse me at how many things, which have nothing to do with that, can be steered in that direction.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
You heard correctly. A dry kit is better for stock or lightly modified engines. Wet kits, although they come with fuel solenoids, usually start from 100 to 125 shots and move higher, and are much more expensive since they have a lot more hardware. A dry kit will work just fine for you and is safe as long as you haven't done a bunch of things to your car already. If you have, a highly recomend getting a tune so that your A/F mixture isn't lean. A dry shot kit, plus a tuner and a custom tune like from Bama, is still cheaper than a wet kit.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted

You heard correctly. A dry kit is better for stock or lightly modified engines. Wet kits, although they come with fuel solenoids, usually start from 100 to 125 shots and move higher, and are much more expensive since they have a lot more hardware. A dry kit will work just fine for you and is safe as long as you haven't done a bunch of things to your car already. If you have, a highly recomend getting a tune so that your A/F mixture isn't lean. A dry shot kit, plus a tuner and a custom tune like from Bama, is still cheaper than a wet kit.
I have a K&N CAI, and 75 mm throttlebody and flowmaster exhaust. Thats about it. A week ago i stopped running too rich because i swapped my regulator out, and today im swapping my fuel Rail. I have 19lb injectors i believe, the orange coated ones, and thats all that i know. I have leaking gaskets though so should i swap those out before i get the nitrous? Thanks for the amswer though!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
I have a K&N CAI, and 75 mm throttlebody and flowmaster exhaust. Thats about it. A week ago i stopped running too rich because i swapped my regulator out, and today im swapping my fuel Rail. I have 19lb injectors i believe, the orange coated ones, and thats all that i know. I have leaking gaskets though so should i swap those out before i get the nitrous? Thanks for the amswer though!

With that large of a TB (which unfortunately really isn't needed in your case) and a CAI, adding nitrous to the mix needs some caution. You already have a lot of air coming in (although with the TB your velocity is down), and adding nitrous to the mix, especially without a tune, can cause a lean condition which can cause detonation (very very bad). This becomes especially bad if you have leaking gaskets, but I need to ask which gaskets are leaking. Head gaskets?? Yes that's very bad. Intake manifold gasket? That's still bad, but not quite as bad. I would highly recommend repairing the gaskets and strongly advise getting a tuner like an SCT from AM and get their Bama nitrous tune. This way, they can tune in all the mods you have done and your ECM will be able to adjust the A/F mixture to handle your nitrous so you don't have to worry. I know it sounds a bit pricey for repairs, a tuner, and a nitrous kit... but replacing your engine would certainly make you wish you had if for some reason something happens. Feel free to ask anything else to if you still have questions. Hope this helps!!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

A dry kit is not better, cheaper & a bit easier to install maybe, but not better or safer.
It is much safer to ensure that adequate fuel is supplied to the engine when the nitrous is activated. There is not a lot more hardware, just fuel lines and a solenoid to add the extra fuel.

A 100 to 125 shot wet, is safer than a 75 shot dry any day and it's only 25-50 HP more which if the engine is in good shape should not pose a problem.
The dry kits do work ok most of the time, but I personally know a guy who fried his 97 GT engine on a dry 75 shot because it was not getting enough fuel and leaned out. The car was stock and he had a chip tune. By the time he finished repairing/rebuilding his engine the dry kit cost him several times over what a wet kit would have cost.

At any rate it's ultimately the buyer's choice and as with any performance part, buyer beware. If the part breaks your engine, you are stuck with the repair costs.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

A dry kit is not better, cheaper & a bit easier to install maybe, but not better or safer.
It is much safer to ensure that adequate fuel is supplied to the engine when the nitrous is activated. There is not a lot more hardware, just fuel lines and a solenoid to add the extra fuel.

A 100 to 125 shot wet, is safer than a 75 shot dry any day and it's only 25-50 HP more which if the engine is in good shape should not pose a problem.
The dry kits do work ok most of the time, but I personally know a guy who fried his 97 GT engine on a dry 75 shot because it was not getting enough fuel and leaned out. The car was stock and he had a chip tune. By the time he finished repairing/rebuilding his engine the dry kit cost him several times over what a wet kit would have cost.

At any rate it's ultimately the buyer's choice and as with any performance part, buyer beware. If the part breaks your engine, you are stuck with the repair costs.
Hmm... I still say that with a proper tune, a dry kit is better for starters. I just wouldn't push over 100 instant HP on a stock/mostly stock engine (from an engineering standpoint). Was your friend's chip tune programmed for nitrous? I'm simply stating that if you don't get greedy, and you do your research, and definately get a proper tune, you really shouldn't have a problem. If you're seriously worried about fuel, one trick you can do is to get a higher pressure fuel pump which will force more fuel through your injectors. I don't personally recommend this, but it's been done. You just have to be very careful about over doing it and causing your injectors to fail. It's cheaper than getting all new injectors (not really needed anyway) and cheaper than a wet kit. Honestly.. I've seen plenty of people do it right and wrong. I've also seen it where it's right and fails, and where it's wrong and works. It really comes down to the engine, the greediness of the driver, and how often it's used, for how long, and how much. Wet kits certainly are safer because of the fuel, but with that much fuel coming in for under a 125 shot (if you can even find a kit that does it under that amount) I would worry about running to rich.. I just seriously recommend a proper tune either way you decide to go. I hope this helps!!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted View Post
Hmm... I still say that with a proper tune, a dry kit is better for starters. I just wouldn't push over 100 instant HP on a stock/mostly stock engine (from an engineering standpoint). Was your friend's chip tune programmed for nitrous? I'm simply stating that if you don't get greedy, and you do your research, and definately get a proper tune, you really shouldn't have a problem. If you're seriously worried about fuel, one trick you can do is to get a higher pressure fuel pump which will force more fuel through your injectors. I don't personally recommend this, but it's been done. You just have to be very careful about over doing it and causing your injectors to fail. It's cheaper than getting all new injectors (not really needed anyway) and cheaper than a wet kit. Honestly.. I've seen plenty of people do it right and wrong. I've also seen it where it's right and fails, and where it's wrong and works. It really comes down to the engine, the greediness of the driver, and how often it's used, for how long, and how much. Wet kits certainly are safer because of the fuel, but with that much fuel coming in for under a 125 shot (if you can even find a kit that does it under that amount) I would worry about running to rich.. I just seriously recommend a proper tune either way you decide to go. I hope this helps!!
I can't remember for sure, but don't most 4.6 engines produce around 265 or less HP for this year range? From what I have read about them they can handle somewhere around 400 HP in stock form correct? If that is the case, then a 100-125 shot should be safe enough to use on them.

The chip was supposedly tuned for the nitrous. IMO, the chip failed, farted or whatever, but you'd never get them to admit to that. He was just stuck with the rebuild/repair costs.

You are correct in that if they don't get greedy, do their research and get it properly tuned they should be ok.

Yes, you can crank up the pressure to the injectors. However, I have read that Ford Performance engineers don't really recommend using the fuel pressure for tuning in that respect, because it affects other areas of the ECU's tuning and normal engine operation. They would rather that you used larger injectors and/or a higher flow pump/lines if more fuel is needed. I know everyone does it anyways, but they don't recommend it.
The fuel flow on the wet kits can usually be metered/tuned just like the nitrous flow.

It's the "greedy" part that's really hard to control. Everyone wants more and in certain situations (heat of the moment so to speak) a lot of them will push it too far, thinking that, "If a little bit does a little bit of good, then a whole lot will do a whole lot of good."

Good discussion and you have some valid points.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
I can't remember for sure, but don't most 4.6 engines produce around 265 or less HP for this year range? From what I have read about them they can handle somewhere around 400 HP in stock form correct? If that is the case, then a 100-125 shot should be safe enough to use on them.

The chip was supposedly tuned for the nitrous. IMO, the chip failed, farted or whatever, but you'd never get them to admit to that. He was just stuck with the rebuild/repair costs.

You are correct in that if they don't get greedy, do their research and get it properly tuned they should be ok.

Yes, you can crank up the pressure to the injectors. However, I have read that Ford Performance engineers don't really recommend using the fuel pressure for tuning in that respect, because it affects other areas of the ECU's tuning and normal engine operation. They would rather that you used larger injectors and/or a higher flow pump/lines if more fuel is needed. I know everyone does it anyways, but they don't recommend it.
The fuel flow on the wet kits can usually be metered/tuned just like the nitrous flow.

It's the "greedy" part that's really hard to control. Everyone wants more and in certain situations (heat of the moment so to speak) a lot of them will push it too far, thinking that, "If a little bit does a little bit of good, then a whole lot will do a whole lot of good."

Good discussion and you have some valid points.
Yep.. as a fellow engineer, and as I stated earlier, I wouldn't do the higher pressure fuel mod either. Just a neat trick I've seen done. That really sucks about the chip.. It's one reason why I really like AM's Bama partnership with SCT. They tune for life and dyno everything they do. They guarantee their product. As for the 265 HP in stock form (is that RWHP or crank HP?) and adding 100 to 125, theoretically it should be safe.. But if 400 is the limit, and you try to push 390 after a kit, and that 100 to 125 is 'instantaneous'.. I just think it's a little too risky. The reasoning behind this is because these year 4.6L's have weak rods. I would site another thread I was in a debate with a guy but he stated the same thing about weak rods. The pistons can handle it.. but rods, bearings and the like really take a beating. If you have any kind of high mileage (over 85,000).. then the rings start getting involved too with blow-by. But still... play it safe and don't be greedy is about the best advice. Tuning seems to be highly recommended on the forum with most things, and especially with nitrous. I will definately stand behind that. Thanks for the back up Trojan!!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yep.. as a fellow engineer, and as I stated earlier, I wouldn't do the higher pressure fuel mod either. Just a neat trick I've seen done. That really sucks about the chip.. It's one reason why I really like AM's Bama partnership with SCT. They tune for life and dyno everything they do. They guarantee their product. As for the 265 HP in stock form (is that RWHP or crank HP?) and adding 100 to 125, theoretically it should be safe.. But if 400 is the limit, and you try to push 390 after a kit, and that 100 to 125 is 'instantaneous'.. I just think it's a little too risky. The reasoning behind this is because these year 4.6L's have weak rods. I would site another thread I was in a debate with a guy but he stated the same thing about weak rods. The pistons can handle it.. but rods, bearings and the like really take a beating. If you have any kind of high mileage (over 85,000).. then the rings start getting involved too with blow-by. But still... play it safe and don't be greedy is about the best advice. Tuning seems to be highly recommended on the forum with most things, and especially with nitrous. I will definately stand behind that. Thanks for the back up Trojan!!
Ok.... So im confused now. Should i get a wet kit or dry? Its a 98 v8 in a 96 body mustang. I dont know how many miles are On the v8 but i assume not a Ton considering he did a swap. I cant contact the original owner to ask either because im the third owner and hes the first. He put the throttlebody on as well. I have a special forces tuner and can tune it myself but if getting a sct tuner and bama tune for nitrous is Really what i should do ill do it. Its the leaking intake manifold gaskets, which ill replace soon. I want to shoot high for mileage so what are some things i should forsure do or check to make sure it dont blow something? I WILL NOT be using it all the time. Just for fun a few times in a month maybe. How much hp am i gaining? What shot amount? Thanks though for everything!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ok.... So im confused now. Should i get a wet kit or dry? Its a 98 v8 in a 96 body mustang. I dont know how many miles are On the v8 but i assume not a Ton considering he did a swap. I cant contact the original owner to ask either because im the third owner and hes the first. He put the throttlebody on as well. I have a special forces tuner and can tune it myself but if getting a sct tuner and bama tune for nitrous is Really what i should do ill do it. Its the leaking intake manifold gaskets, which ill replace soon. I want to shoot high for mileage so what are some things i should forsure do or check to make sure it dont blow something? I WILL NOT be using it all the time. Just for fun a few times in a month maybe. How much hp am i gaining? What shot amount? Thanks though for everything!
The end choice is totally up to you. K Twisted and I have differing opinions and I apologize for discussing them here and confusing you.

As long as you make sure the engine is ok, properly tuned and getting enough fuel, you should be ok with the 75 (75 HP) dry shot kit.
Repair the leaking gaskets and do a compression test to verify that your rings are sealing up ok before you add the nitrous kit.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Yeah, sorry man, I get carried away. If you can use your tuner for nitrous and can do the tune yourself then great, that surely saves money. I just promote SCT because so many people have used it (including friends of mine) and it works, and they specifically will tune your car for the mods that you have done, including a tune for nitrous. 75 is safe, and my recomendation is stay 100 shot or below. Remember earlier where I said they go in 25 shot increments. And like Trojan said, 25 shot = 25 HP (instantaneous), 50 shot = 50 HP etc. Just remember too, that rear wheel HP will differ from crank HP or flywheel HP. Most companies rate HP at either the crank or flywheel, so if you were to dyno it, it'll probably show a smaller increase in HP at the rear wheels while spraying.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter

Just a quick note and probably not applicable to the smaller kits, but it may be nowadays. Nitrous systems have become very advanced in what they can do with it.
If you wanted to try a larger kit, but are afraid of the "instant hit" they make progressive controls to bring it in slower.
Probably too expensive, but something you could investigate if you are interested.

The "good old days" were a lot easier, not so many confusing choices.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, sorry man, I get carried away. If you can use your tuner for nitrous and can do the tune yourself then great, that surely saves money. I just promote SCT because so many people have used it (including friends of mine) and it works, and they specifically will tune your car for the mods that you have done, including a tune for nitrous. 75 is safe, and my recomendation is stay 100 shot or below. Remember earlier where I said they go in 25 shot increments. And like Trojan said, 25 shot = 25 HP (instantaneous), 50 shot = 50 HP etc. Just remember too, that rear wheel HP will differ from crank HP or flywheel HP. Most companies rate HP at either the crank or flywheel, so if you were to dyno it, it'll probably show a smaller increase in HP at the rear wheels while spraying.
I think what im looking for is 100 shot or 75 because i wont be doing it very much except for just to show friends. I want to either press a button or have to hit an RPM (maybe 2500) for it to spray. Should it be wet for that? Or dry? I have no clue if my tuner software has that option to put in because i havent been able to run the software for a Long time. Need a PC and i have a Mac. Lol so can you guys kinda tell me what all i should get? Or what kit is the best? Or whatever
Old 03-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #24
Road Trip!

The only difference betweena wet and dry kit is that a dry kit sprays just nitrous into your intake, where as a wet kit will also include fuel, and usually has a solenoid pack for each intake tract. Your tuner will probably not necessarily care if you have a wet or dry kit, because what it will be doing is telling the ECM to expect a lean condition at a certain point when your nitrous will activate so that it can compensate the proper amount of fuel to keep you from detonating. If you had a wet kit, it would see that it already had enough fuel at the time of nitrous use and adjust everything according to the extra air and fuel that was coming in. One way it would do this is to adjust timing. If I were you, I would just go with a 75 shot dry kit and make sure you have a tune. Make sure you get those gaskets fixed. Personally, my nitrous set up has activation at 2300 RPM and shut off at 5600 RPM if that helps any.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The only difference betweena wet and dry kit is that a dry kit sprays just nitrous into your intake, where as a wet kit will also include fuel, and usually has a solenoid pack for each intake tract. Your tuner will probably not necessarily care if you have a wet or dry kit, because what it will be doing is telling the ECM to expect a lean condition at a certain point when your nitrous will activate so that it can compensate the proper amount of fuel to keep you from detonating. If you had a wet kit, it would see that it already had enough fuel at the time of nitrous use and adjust everything according to the extra air and fuel that was coming in. One way it would do this is to adjust timing. If I were you, I would just go with a 75 shot dry kit and make sure you have a tune. Make sure you get those gaskets fixed. Personally, my nitrous set up has activation at 2300 RPM and shut off at 5600 RPM if that helps any.
It does thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT