Clutch Goes Chirp! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Clutch Goes Chirp!

When I am letting out on my clutch peddle about past half way it chirps and catches just a bit. I'm thinking my throughout bearing is going bad but what do you guys think. Oh it does it worse when the car is setting still like at a stop light and as you build speed it goes away.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Clutch Goes Chirp!

usually if it chirps in its the pilot bearing, but you can possibly adjust the clutch to take up some slack in it to see if it helps.

You can manually force the clutch to adjust by pushing in the clutch petal with your right hand and then reaching up and holding the quadrant with your right hand (above the gas petal, white plastic half moon thing with a little gear on one end of it)

ease out the clutch while holding the quadrant from rotating (it will rotate just hold pressure against its rotation) and the clutch will "click" as it gets close to being out. Click it a couple times until the petal has no flop in it when its all the way out. You want a half inch at least pushing in the clutch from its resting position before the rpms jump. Any less is bad.

drive like 45mph hold gas steady and ease in clutch to test that.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I agree I believe its the through out bearing, because like you said, speed effects it.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma

Hey buddy is like a constant chirp? Lika chirp,chirp,chirp,chirp...... Lol. Because if that's the case mine does it to like when I'm in neutral sittin the drive through or slowin down to make a turn... It doesn't really bother me but I was curious to find why it does it?
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Release bearing. If it ever starts squealing constantly it will lock up, and you will need a tow… they can go on squeaking a long time with no issues. Center Force makes the best release bearing, bout $40.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright
Hey buddy is like a constant chirp? Lika chirp,chirp,chirp,chirp...... Lol. Because if that's the case mine does it to like when I'm in neutral sittin the drive through or slowin down to make a turn... It doesn't really bother me but I was curious to find why it does it?
No it only chirps when I am releasing the clutch peddle. Does it worse when setting still. When there is a load on the clutch like moving it doesn't chirp as loud or catch. I need to do a video I think of it doing it. When the car is off it does it really loud but the rumble of the car isn't on lol.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09

No it only chirps when I am releasing the clutch peddle. Does it worse when setting still. When there is a load on the clutch like moving it doesn't chirp as loud or catch. I need to do a video I think of it doing it. When the car is off it does it really loud but the rumble of the car isn't on lol.
Release/throw out bearing.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

A release bearing huh... So what is that is it hard to replace what are the steps because u know about this and I don't so help me out here I just bought my baby and she's been neglected enough....
Old 03-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Release bearing. If it ever starts squealing constantly it will lock up, and you will need a tow… they can go on squeaking a long time with no issues. Center Force makes the best release bearing, bout $40.
Oh man that's not good. Where is it sold?

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Quote:
A release bearing huh... So what is that is it hard to replace what are the steps because u know about this and I don't so help me out here I just bought my baby and she's been neglected enough....
First off is your car a 5spd sorry not trying to make you feel dumb but the last time someone asked me a question like this the whole time they had an auto. Lol!
Here's one from AM they usually come with a clutch kit.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-t...ring-7904.html
You have to pull the transmission to get to it. Its slid on the input shaft and sets between the clutch fork and the pressure plate. A shop can change it but I would go ahead and have the clutch changed out and replace the rear main seal along with pilot bearing.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yah it's a 00" gt, 5speed. That's all I'll own now, and yes im sure it's throw out bearing, because I really started to listen to it and it's bad real bad, it actually squeaks all the time... It does stop if I set my foot on the cluch lightly. It actually had a new clutch put in a stage 2 supposably? It's a strong cluch and very tight though so I know it has to be new. I seen the web thread and yes that's what I need, also am taking the advice on the adjustable cluch cable kit! I'm just nervous to takle this, but hey that should be expected when you buy a $4500 dollar car right...

---------- Post added 03-07-2012 at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-06-2012 at 11:38 PM ----------

Also should I get a new pilot bearing to???
Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yah it's a 00" gt, 5speed. That's all I'll own now, and yes im sure it's throw out bearing, because I really started to listen to it and it's bad real bad, it actually squeaks all the time... It does stop if I set my foot on the cluch lightly. It actually had a new clutch put in a stage 2 supposably? It's a strong cluch and very tight though so I know it has to be new. I seen the web thread and yes that's what I need, also am taking the advice on the adjustable cluch cable kit! I'm just nervous to takle this, but hey that should be expected when you buy a $4500 dollar car right...

---------- Post added 03-07-2012 at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-06-2012 at 11:38 PM ----------

Also should I get a new pilot bearing to???
Yes always change out the stuff that is wear n tear in there. Pilot bearing, rear main seal, resurface flywheel, clutch it needed, throwout bearing, and clutch fork if it looks bad. The adjustable clutch cable kit isn't that bad of a install.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT