Removing catalytic converter? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Removing catalytic converter?

What are the pros and cons of removing your cats?
chickengeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: Removing catalytic converter?

Allowing you restricted exhaust to flow better.. sounds louder.
Some of the cons are.. check engine light comes on unless you get mil eliminators or a tuner that can shut off your rear 02 sensors. Depending on where you live or what kind if emissions test are performed to pass your car for state inspection. Like if the garage.uses a sniffer or if hes a jerk and won't pass because of a visual inspection knowing the cats aren't there. I know some people replace the stock h pipe with non catted pipes, then swap them back to stock to pass inspection.... that's too much of a pain for me. I just leave my non catted h pipe on.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstang03
Allowing you restricted exhaust to flow better.. sounds louder.
Some of the cons are.. check engine light comes on unless you get mil eliminators or a tuner that can shut off your rear 02 sensors. Depending on where you live or what kind if emissions test are performed to pass your car for state inspection. Like if the garage.uses a sniffer or if hes a jerk and won't pass because of a visual inspection knowing the cats aren't there. I know some people replace the stock h pipe with non catted pipes, then swap them back to stock to pass inspection.... that's too much of a pain for me. I just leave my non catted h pipe on.
I live in florida and we dont have emissions test
So i guess im safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

There are several companies that make high flow cats, and entire catted h or x-pipe mids with cats.

A lot depends on where you live and how they handle the emissions issues.
1997 CVPI ** ex-U.S. Marshall Service (the CAR) I don't think it was stock from them ** 13.26@107.24 MPH w/ me, my tools, and a full tank Added CAI, Niche 19 x 8.5" wheels with 245/45ZR19 rubbers, and a complete front end rebuilt with poly
A Super Duty Mustang Sedan

My Avatar is a picture of my Dream Machine
jdmeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmeaux View Post
There are several companies that make high flow cats, and entire catted h or x-pipe mids with cats.

A lot depends on where you live and how they handle the emissions issues.

well, since I live in Florida and there are no law on emissions I'd rather just do a cat delete so I don't have to worry about it getting clogged again.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Without sounding like a tree hugger, keeping the cats intact or going to high flow cats won't hurt the air quality. And like back in the late '70s and early '80s, some engines won't work at peak efficiency without the cats.
1997 CVPI ** ex-U.S. Marshall Service (the CAR) I don't think it was stock from them ** 13.26@107.24 MPH w/ me, my tools, and a full tank Added CAI, Niche 19 x 8.5" wheels with 245/45ZR19 rubbers, and a complete front end rebuilt with poly
A Super Duty Mustang Sedan

My Avatar is a picture of my Dream Machine
jdmeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmeaux View Post
Without sounding like a tree hugger, keeping the cats intact or going to high flow cats won't hurt the air quality. And like back in the late '70s and early '80s, some engines won't work at peak efficiency without the cats.
Without sounding like an inconsiderate jackass, our motors run great with out them! And they sound great too! People in America worry so much about polution but they forget one little detail....THE EARTH ROTATES. Meaning that while we are freaking out, China is pumping out crap at higher rates than ever. Which means that as the earth spins we are just breathing in their crap, not the clean wonderful air everyone wants you to believe.

Sorry for the rant lol
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT