Supercharger Decisions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Supercharger Decisions

I know I have tossed a few ideas around here, between my two cars, selling one to buy another, etc. The best decision for me is to sell my old 97 GT and just focus on the 04. Figured for now while I'm in college I can just focus on one car and one insurance quote lol. I'll be selling the 97 soon enough (Hopefully $4000 or better, but idk if that's possible to obtain) and putting the money towards modifying my 04 GT.

With this money I wish to buy a supercharger kit and make 8 pounds of boost and have the system be intercooled and internally lubricated (without tapping into the oil pan, which is the same thing). My question is what kind? I really want a Kenne Bell, for I love the sound of twin-screw superchargers, but I hear they retain heat easily considering they sit in the valley of the motor and heat is hard to escape from there, so I've been recommended a centrifugal. Specifically, a procharger D1SC, for it's internally lubricated. I don't want it to be too noisy of supercharger though so I can still "sleep" drive around.

My preference is a Kenne Bell, but I'm questioning if I should stay away from it. Keep in mind it's my Daily Driver so I need it to be reliable still. What do you guys think? I'm kinda stumped on this. Also, what supporting mods should I do as well?
1997 Ford Mustang GT (Rio Red) (RMR #7832)

2003 Ford Mustang GT Centennial Edition (Black) (SOLD)
2004 Ford Mustang GT (Redfire) (SOLD)
1985 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe (Red) (SOLD)
TheJigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I know Im saving for the kb 2.1L. It puts out the most hp for the boost it has. But for a daily driver i dunno.
dmax8709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
The Kenne Bell 2.1 liter supercharger is a great unit I have one on my car and I love it! The underhood temp is not bad at all and the unit is very reliable so much so that if u have the unit installed by one of Kenne Bells authorized dealers they warranty the parts and install for one year. I would get a tuner ,lt headers and full exhaust
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2642353392.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	546.1 KB
ID:	42412  
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360
The Kenne Bell 2.1 liter supercharger is a great unit I have one on my car and I love it! The underhood temp is not bad at all and the unit is very reliable so much so that if u have the unit installed by one of Kenne Bells authorized dealers they warranty the parts and install for one year. I would get a tuner ,lt headers and full exhaust
That looks beautiful man. Can't wait to get mine
Old 03-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Believe me the first time u mash that throttle and ur necks snaps back u will b hooked man it's a rush!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Believe me the first time u mash that throttle and ur necks snaps back u will b hooked man it's a rush!
Yea kinda hard just to scrap up 4grand. But ill get it sooner or later
Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I hear that man it took me like 4 years to save up the cash but it was well worth it
Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Supercharger Decisions

Wow that definitely looks great under the hood. If that's the best then I'll do that. I want to find a used one though somewhere. I'm hoping someone has it for sale. I don't feel like spending all my money from my 97 on just the supercharger kit along. I do have most of my exhaust done at least so that should be good. If I do a KB at 8 lbs, how much power would I be looking at? (I have an automatic).

Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJigShow
Wow that definitely looks great under the hood. If that's the best then I'll do that. I want to find a used one though somewhere. I'm hoping someone has it for sale. I don't feel like spending all my money from my 97 on just the supercharger kit along. I do have most of my exhaust done at least so that should be good. If I do a KB at 8 lbs, how much power would I be looking at? (I have an automatic).
Right now I'm running 10lbs of boost on a conservative tune ( I still have a stock bottom end ) my car is putting out 360 hp and 341 ft lbs of torque

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

That's to the rear tires!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
Right now I'm running 10lbs of boost on a conservative tune ( I still have a stock bottom end ) my car is putting out 360 hp and 341 ft lbs of torque

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

That's to the rear tires!
Wow that's pretty damn awesome, and around what I'm looking for. Hopefully my stock block will hold up for thousands of more miles with that setup though. Not that I plan on racing it every single moment but I like to have reliability to go along with my peace of mind lol.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJigShow View Post
Wow that's pretty damn awesome, and around what I'm looking for. Hopefully my stock block will hold up for thousands of more miles with that setup though. Not that I plan on racing it every single moment but I like to have reliability to go along with my peace of mind lol.
You may also look at the Vortech V3. It is self contained and isnt very loud. It will have a whine at idle but the get quieter as the car is revved up
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ok that works too. I'll look into the Vortech. Also, should I do long tubes? I need ones that fit my Bassani x-pipe and will fit an automatic trans.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: Pennsylvania
I heard the edelbrock super charger is pretty bad ***.
Americanrwb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrwb1
I believe the edlebrock kit if for 05 and up
Old 03-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:

I believe the edlebrock kit if for 05 and up
Oh is it? They should make it for earlier models as well
Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh is it? They should make it for earlier models as well
To b honest with u I'm kinda surprised they didn't I'm sure they could of sold a ton of em
Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
If i were you i would look into a vortech v-2 Supercharger. If you run 8psi it will be very powerful and still very reliable.
Bballing0416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:

To b honest with u I'm kinda surprised they didn't I'm sure they could of sold a ton of em
They eventually will. edelbrock makes just about everything. Awesome brand
Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They eventually will. edelbrock makes just about everything. Awesome brand
+1
Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballing0416
If i were you i would look into a vortech v-2 Supercharger. If you run 8psi it will be very powerful and still very reliable.
He said earlier he didn't want to tap his oil pan so I'm not sure if OP would want the V2 or not.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
The only problem with the Edelbrock kit is that it isn't as efficient as a twin screw because it's a roots type.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

The only problem with the Edelbrock kit is that it isn't as efficient as a twin screw because it's a roots type.
Different horse power gains?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #23
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

LOVE Kenne Bell. They still got the noise you're lookin for, but are quiet as well when not getting on it all the way. Would recommend them any day. Centrifugals are good, but have a lot of underhood piping everwhere. I like the clean look and don't like having tubes running everywhere. Long Tubes are extremely highly recommended and in the proper size.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Nah don't want to do Vortech V2 if it means tapping into the pain. Just don't need to do it if there's other options that don't require yet bear the same results. Also, I'm definitely down with the Kenne Bell, but I don't want to run into heating issues, and my friends keep telling me I will.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nah don't want to do Vortech V2 if it means tapping into the pain. Just don't need to do it if there's other options that don't require yet bear the same results. Also, I'm definitely down with the Kenne Bell, but I don't want to run into heating issues, and my friends keep telling me I will.
U won't run into any heat issues as long as u get the inter cooler kit but it adds about another 500 to the price
Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:

Different horse power gains?
Yes. The Kenne Bell makes more efficient boost because of the type of blades it uses, and because it's more efficient it takes less horsepower from the engine to turn the blades (I think it's called parasitic loss but I can't remember). That's why all the GT500, Terminator, etc. etc. guys make a bunch of horsepower running the same boost on a different blower.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

Quote:
The term is heat soak. As the engine heats up, the blower starts to absorb some of that heat. When it does, that heats up the air that the blower is trying to compress which gives you less psi. Usually running an intercooler/heat exchanger or a meth injection kit solves that problem.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #27

Region: Wisconsin
I have been planning a supercharger for my 04 GT for sometime, and will be putting a intercooled P1-SC tuner kit on in April. The guy who will do the install and tuning said the type you put on kind of depends on other modifications you have. The Procharger system will add 8-10 lbs. of boost, but won't really start to kick in until about 3-4000 rpms. This works well with my current mods. The Kenne Bell I believe would give you power at lower rpms. I can let you know how mine turns out when it is done in early April.
mike04gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike04gt View Post
I have been planning a supercharger for my 04 GT for sometime, and will be putting a intercooled P1-SC tuner kit on in April. The guy who will do the install and tuning said the type you put on kind of depends on other modifications you have. The Procharger system will add 8-10 lbs. of boost, but won't really start to kick in until about 3-4000 rpms. This works well with my current mods. The Kenne Bell I believe would give you power at lower rpms. I can let you know how mine turns out when it is done in early April.
LMAO "won't really start to kick in until about 3.4000 rpms". It's a supercharger, not a turbo. It's belt driven, there's no lag. It's instantaneous HP that builds it's power curve at the same RPM curve as the engine. The more throttle, the more the engine spins, and the higher the boost from the SC. If I were you, I would go and slap whoever told you that.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted

LMAO "won't really start to kick in until about 3.4000 rpms". It's a supercharger, not a turbo. It's belt driven, there's no lag. It's instantaneous HP that builds it's power curve at the same RPM curve as the engine. The more throttle, the more the engine spins, and the higher the boost from the SC. If I were you, I would go and slap whoever told you that.
+1.. find a new mechanic.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #30
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted

The is no lag but the boost has a curve and is not linear like a roots type blower, you still won't have maximum psi until a higher rpm. I dont think he was referring to lag, you will still get some boost at lower rpms but it does still need to build up to its maximum in a centrifugal type.

Not a bad mechanic maybe just needs to be worded differently to prevent this type of confusion

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:38 AM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
The is no lag but the boost has a curve and is not linear like a roots type blower, you still won't have maximum psi until a higher rpm. I dont think he was referring to lag, you will still get some boost at lower rpms but it does still need to build up to its maximum in a centrifugal type.

Not a bad mechanic maybe just needs to be worded differently to prevent this type of confusion
Every supercharger makes low boost at low RPM.. doesn't matter if it's roots, twin screw, or centrifugal. The faster you spin a SC the more boost it makes until you hit the point of diminishing return. All superchargers have a fairly linear boost curve that very closely matches the RPM curve.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson

He said earlier he didn't want to tap his oil pan so I'm not sure if OP would want the V2 or not.
Or he could go with the v-3 like im doing....the v3 is self lubercating
Bballing0416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I mentioned that earlier in the thread as well
Old 03-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #34

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
THE KB's are the SHEIT !!! I'm gonna swap out my EATON for a KB real soon
SNK3BTE04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I think at this point I'm between a P1SC, a Vortech V3, or a 2.1 KB.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT