Headers!? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Headers!?

Stock headers are shorties right?? Is $140 for bbk shorties a good deal??? I'm thinking about asking the guy if he will take 200 for the bbk shorties and install them and fix my Mac pro chamber and install that too....sound like good price??

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT
Stock headers are shorties right?? Is $140 for bbk shorties a good deal??? I'm thinking about asking the guy if he will take 200 for the bbk shorties and install them and fix my Mac pro chamber and install that too....sound like good price??
What is on your car from the factory is an Exhaust manifold!.. Stock your car doesn't have headers!.. Shorties are a step above the stock exhaust manifold, tuned length are a step above that, with Long Tubes being the best!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

What is on your car from the factory is an Exhaust manifold!.. Stock your car doesn't have headers!.. Shorties are a step above the stock exhaust manifold, tuned length are a step above that, with Long Tubes being the best!..
Ok I'm still a lil wet behind the ears don't fry me!!! Lol....will anything fit without major modification to my current pipes?

Ultimate goal is LT....but not in budget right now and found these bbk shortie headers

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:

Ok I'm still a lil wet behind the ears don't fry me!!! Lol....will anything fit without major modification to my current pipes?

Ultimate goal is LT....but not in budget right now and found these bbk shortie headers
I'm not a cannibal so I have no desire to fry you!.. Lol.

Shortie headers and tuned length should bolt right up to your stock mid pipe!.. Long Tube headers are really the only ones that need a different mid pipe!.. And those BBK ones from what I've heard will bolt right up no problem!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

I'm not a cannibal so I have no desire to fry you!.. Lol.

Shortie headers and tuned length should bolt right up to your stock mid pipe!.. Long Tube headers are really the only ones that need a different mid pipe!.. And those BBK ones from what I've heard will bolt right up no problem!..
Is 140 for bbk shorties a good price?

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 03-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

Do equal length shorties, they are mini long tubes. All the exhaust tubes will be equal in length, making them superior to shorties by a country mile. They are better then LT's for a street car into some pretty high Hp range and you will not have to buy a new mid pipe. They are truly the best of both worlds. A warning, they will be a tight fit but well worth it. I would recommend equal lengths over any shortie any day.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Do equal length shorties, they are mini long tubes. All the exhaust tubes will be equal in length, making them superior to shorties by a country mile. They are better then LT's for a street car into some pretty high Hp range and you will not have to buy a new mid pipe. They are truly the best of both worlds. A warning, they will be a tight fit but well worth it. I would recommend equal lengths over any shortie any day.

Here's the deal, manifolds are junk. The only thing they're good for is low noise output and good emissions control due to high backpressure... and boat anchors. Shorties are better than manifolds and often used as a direct replacement. They will increase fuel mileage and throttle response. When they're equal length, these benefits are even greater. The thing about it though, you'll gain top end, but your low end will suffer. If you're car is heavy (over 3000 lbs.), if you're not at sea level, if you have low gear ratio's (like anything 3.73 or lower), or if you have low compression, shorties are not for you. It comes down to budget, but here's the thing. Do you want the best bang for your buck?? I ask because I hate doing an upgrade based on budget now, and then getting a budget and paying again for the same upgrade later when I could have just saved a bit and done the upgrade once. I would save for long tubes man. Get a tuner or gears or something, those will really help you out and are cheap.

Edited by: deadsp0t
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="K Twisted"]

Here's the deal, manifolds are junk. The only thing they're good for is low noise output and good emissions control due to high backpressure... and boat anchors. Shorties are better than manifolds and often used as a direct replacement. They will increase fuel mileage and throttle response. When they're equal length, these benefits are even greater. The thing about it though, you'll gain top end, but your low end will suffer. If you're car is heavy (over 3000 lbs.), if you're not at sea level, if you have low gear ratio's (like anything 3.73 or lower), or if you have low compression, shorties are not for you. It comes down to budget, but here's the thing. Do you want the best bang for your buck?? I ask because I hate doing an upgrade based on budget now, and then getting a budget and paying again for the same upgrade later when I could have just saved a bit and done the upgrade once. I would save for long tubes man. Get a tuner or gears or something, those will really help you out and are cheap.

Hmmm....well my current setup is
Bbk CAI
Mac pro chamber (to be installed)
Mac cat back
Steeda u/d pullies (to be installed)
4.10 (to be installed)
Also looking into
Bbk 78mm tb/plenum (looking to sc/turbo at some point)
And a tuner.

The reason I'm thinking about getting the headers is because they seem cheap ATM and if they require no modification they can only help right?? When I have the money I want to redo my entire exhaust...it's just used exhaust pieces right now pieced together from CL. Hell my pro chamber needs a piece cut out and welded back in before it can be used. My budget will change immensely once my truck is paid off next year.

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 03-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Re: Headers!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post
Hmmm....well my current setup is
Bbk CAI
Mac pro chamber (to be installed)
Mac cat back
Steeda u/d pullies (to be installed)
4.10 (to be installed)
Also looking into
Bbk 78mm tb/plenum (looking to sc/turbo at some point)
And a tuner.

The reason I'm thinking about getting the headers is because they seem cheap ATM and if they require no modification they can only help right?? When I have the money I want to redo my entire exhaust...it's just used exhaust pieces right now pieced together from CL. Hell my pro chamber needs a piece cut out and welded back in before it can be used. My budget will change immensely once my truck is paid off next year.
Awesome!!! Shorties will definately help over stock manifolds. I like your list there!! So you have your tuner already?? That's good. Did you go with 4.10s because you have an automatic? If not, can I ask what the reason for 4.10s was?? One suggestion.. hold off on the TB until you actually are putting on the sc/turbo.. it's not really needed and can be counterproductive unless you do a port/valve/ and/or cam job. Once you do those or once you do the turbo/sc you'll definately want it though. I hope this helps bro!!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted

Awesome!!! Shorties will definately help over stock manifolds. I like your list there!! So you have your tuner already?? That's good. Did you go with 4.10s because you have an automatic? If not, can I ask what the reason for 4.10s was?? One suggestion.. hold off on the TB until you actually are putting on the sc/turbo.. it's not really needed and can be counterproductive unless you do a port/valve/ and/or cam job. Once you do those or once you do the turbo/sc you'll definately want it though. I hope this helps bro!!
I have a 5 speed, the thing that changed my mind from 3.73 to 4.10 was this thread:

4.10 Gear Speed/RPM Video

I do drive on the highway but from now on my car is a fun car, only driven in the summer and only on nice/nicer day. The difference in rpms between 3.73 and 4.10 is only like 1-200....so I decided to go with the more fun gear. I do not have a tuner yet, thinking about going with SCT iTsx just cause its nifty and I would have all the readouts like the live wire without having that pod always in my car. I also plan on getting TF twisted wedge headers with stage II cams, but that's a lil ways down the road. Maybe If I sell my ranger!!! But I def need suspension too! I have eibach sport line springs on the way but I know I will need new cc plates, want d-spec shocks, full length sub frame connectors....I got a quote from steeda for a ABSOLUTE COMPLETE SUSPENSION setup including d-spec shocks for like 2300....but once again...not enough $ ATM ....on a side note, should be installing my CDC lightbar today or tomorrow...looks like its gonna be *fun* (sarcasm)

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

Also looking at getting a Mach 1 hood tomorrow!!!!! :winning:

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 03-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
I have a 5 speed, the thing that changed my mind from 3.73 to 4.10 was this thread:

4.10 Gear Speed/RPM Video

I do drive on the highway but from now on my car is a fun car, only driven in the summer and only on nice/nicer day. The difference in rpms between 3.73 and 4.10 is only like 1-200....so I decided to go with the more fun gear. I do not have a tuner yet, thinking about going with SCT iTsx just cause its nifty and I would have all the readouts like the live wire without having that pod always in my car. I also plan on getting TF twisted wedge headers with stage II cams, but that's a lil ways down the road. Maybe If I sell my ranger!!! But I def need suspension too! I have eibach sport line springs on the way but I know I will need new cc plates, want d-spec shocks, full length sub frame connectors....I got a quote from steeda for a ABSOLUTE COMPLETE SUSPENSION setup including d-spec shocks for like 2300....but once again...not enough $ ATM ....on a side note, should be installing my CDC lightbar today or tomorrow...looks like its gonna be *fun* (sarcasm)

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

Also looking at getting a Mach 1 hood tomorrow!!!!! :winning:
That's awesome man!! I saw the other thread you had too about gears. I was thinking about going with 3.73's cuz I had a 93 fox that had them and it was really fun, but it would also do about 145.. but at that point i was pushing a little over 5K RPMs. I was considering them on my 2000 GT because I still have a few road trips coming up that I want to take it on, and I'm worried about exhaust drone and a little apprehensive for fuel.. I'm wondering now though, what the difference in RPM would be between stock 3.27s and 4.10s is. I already planned on getting a Tremec T56 at some point so I could have that sixth gear and not worry about a top end speed limit or fuel economy.. but with 4.10s I think I'd want it even sooner.. however, besides the couple road trips planned.. I mainly just drive it the same as you.. on weekends and only in nice weather. I especially like your saying of instead of "miles per gallon", we measure in "smiles per gallon". That is friggin genius and if you don't mind, I'm gonna start repeating it. Thanks man!!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted

Wow.. really? Shorties better than LT's? What Scientific Analysis and Physical Fact do you have to support that statement? Show me the math Mr. Staff Member.

Here's the deal, manifolds are junk. The only thing they're good for is low noise output and good emissions control due to high backpressure... and boat anchors. Shorties are better than manifolds and often used as a direct replacement. They will increase fuel mileage and throttle response. When they're equal length, these benefits are even greater. The thing about it though, you'll gain top end, but your low end will suffer. If you're car is heavy (over 3000 lbs.), if you're not at sea level, if you have low gear ratio's (like anything 3.73 or lower), or if you have low compression, shorties are not for you. It comes down to budget, but here's the thing. Do you want the best bang for your buck?? I ask because I hate doing an upgrade based on budget now, and then getting a budget and paying again for the same upgrade later when I could have just saved a bit and done the upgrade once. I would save for long tubes man. Get a tuner or gears or something, those will really help you out and are cheap. I can't even believe the "moderators" and "staff members" don't know this. Maybe I should be a moderator and staff member since I actually know what I'm talking about. Anyways, that's my two minutes of self praise.. Hope this helps man!!
Whoaaaaaaa. First they make more sense from a money stand point. Second they can handle plenty of power. Scientific? Well if you lose bottom end with equal length shorties what's going to happen when you add long tubes? If he/me/you don't have enough power to make up the difference with equal shorties what's going to happen when you add the long tubes?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Ok.. so I was grumpy and I'm sorry. Here's the thing, yes they definately make sense from a money stand point. Yes they are an improvement over stock. The reason you lose bottom end with shorties is the same reason you lose top end with LT's. It all comes down to total length. The reason I say go with LT's, is because you'll need the bottom end to get going if your car is heavy, you're up in altitude, if you have low gear ratios, or low compression. Since this is basically the formula for our stangs in stock form. LT's are definately the way to go. There are plenty of other mods that will seriously help with top end if that's what you want. Honestly it really comes down to where you want your power.. low end? or high end? Because if you want high end power, but everything is against you, it'll take a lot more than shorties to get you there. BUT.. like i said, they ARE better than stock, and are certainly cheaper and easier to install.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah like I said before...I wanna go LT but I am going to put a whole new exhaust on when I do. My exhaust is currently a decent CL special! Was just wondering if the used bbk shorties would bolt right in place of stock and of they were worth 140

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

Also what should I look at on them befor purchase to make sure they are good

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Yeah like I said before...I wanna go LT but I am going to put a whole new exhaust on when I do. My exhaust is currently a decent CL special! Was just wondering if the used bbk shorties would bolt right in place of stock and of they were worth 140

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

Also what should I look at on them befor purchase to make sure they are good

They should bolt right in place. There wouldn't be much point in BBK selling them if all kinds of modifications had to be done just to make them work. As for if they're worth it, it's hard to say. I had BBK shorties on my expedition, but the passenger side one developed a crack in one of the tube welds. I've had a bad taste for BBK since then, but for 140.. i guess that's not too bad. I guess it would just depend on what else you could get for 140 that would give you the same benefit...
Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

If LT's are what you want then that's what I'd save and do. Headers are a PITA on our cars, and yours has less room then mine. IMO it'd be a waste of time and money to install headers you plan on replacing. Either way keep us updated.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I dunno, I wanna squeeze as much out of my car as I can for now....to get LT and a new exhaust I'm looking at over a grand I'm sure. I could probally get 4-500 out of the headers, pro chamber and exhaust when I'm ready I sell selling it as a complete kit...and I would only have 240 in it...LT and new exhaust is at least a year away if not more

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 03-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Took me two days in the driveway took get Mac shorties on my first 95GT, and the 5.0L is way smaller then the 4.6L. Just my opinion though...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT