What are the best spark plugs! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
What are the best spark plugs!

I'm going to replace my plugs just wondering what you guys think are the best spark plugs for my 99 gt?
Csnow99gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csnow99gt
I'm going to replace my plugs just wondering what you guys think are the best spark plugs for my 99 gt?
I go with double platinum. Not to spendy and better quality than normals.. I should have gotten iridium though. Those are Nice
Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Re: What are the best spark plugs!

Not trying to thread jack but are the E3 plugs all they are pumped up to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

No. I don't believe so. Over time they can mess with your mpg, crack easily, and miss a lot. its kinda on luck with those things. not worth the money at all. At least not now.. maybe when they're developed better. They better hella good though! maybe for racing and all that early on? don't plan on having them for a while
Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry what is e3, do you like the ngk iridium's or should I just go with the oem motorcrafts
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Iridiums for sure
Old 03-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I'd just stick with platinum motorcrafts they burn the right temp for your engine and are superior quality l
jwhayne0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I've been following this thread to see what the verdict would be. So Im guessing either motorcraft platinum or the ngk iridium? Or is there another brand to get? My don't need changing yet but it won't be long
dmax8709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Auto lite plugs are great for fords im pretty sure that's who makes motor craft plugs but whatever you do, do not buy Bosch plugs they are horrible. And dont think your gonna gain any power from a certain spark plug because you won't.
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC182
Auto lite plugs are great for fords im pretty sure that's who makes motor craft plugs but whatever you do, do not buy Bosch plugs they are horrible. And dont think your gonna gain any power from a certain spark plug because you won't.
Yea i knew there wouldn't be much or any gain.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax8709

Yea i knew there wouldn't be much or any gain.
i absolutely Hate autolite. They SUCK! I got misfires All the time when i used them. Swapped them out for new ones and same thing! Theyre crap to me. The ngk dub. Platinum or iridium are great. Motorcraft is a good brand of plug as well. Id stick with those 2. E3s arent good at all. As previously stated
Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Ok just making sure alot of people think oh I'll get these fancy flux capacitor spark plugs or something and get like 40 HP yeah doesn't work that way

---------- Post added at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

Oh and AutoLite makes motorcraft spark plugs as I said before its the same thing just a different label
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok just making sure alot of people think oh I'll get these fancy flux capacitor spark plugs or something and get like 40 HP yeah doesn't work that way

---------- Post added at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

Oh and AutoLite makes motorcraft spark plugs as I said before its the same thing just a different label
Then why not call them autolite? Or motorcraft? Lol but ive never had luck with an autolite brand and ive had mechanics say the same thing..

---------- Post added at 01:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

Quote:

I wish it did work that way though!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

From what I understand going with a colder plug with give you maximum gas milage, and some of the hotter plugs like iridiums will give you a tiny amount of performance but will kill your gas milage

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csnow99gt
From what I understand going with a colder plug with give you maximum gas milage, and some of the hotter plugs like iridiums will give you a tiny amount of performance but will kill your gas milage
I Think I'm just going to stick with oem motorcrafts and when I increase more power I will go with a hotter plug. Thanks for all the replys
Old 03-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yea i get happy mpg now so Im not worried with that. So the ngk iridium or motorcraft platinum? Or the other ngk?
Old 03-06-2012, 03:30 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

I use NGK Iridium 9's.. and I recommend them. Hotter or colder plugs really don't come into play until you start talking about high levels of NOS or boosting. I stay away from Bosch for sure. The E3's are also just a sales gimmick as with any plug that as some flashy design or something like a "4" spark kernel or something like that. Always remember, electricity, water, and air all have the same characteristics. They always try to follow the path of least resistance. Since jumping an air gap in a spark plug takes a ton of power because the gap = resistance, the kernel will always go to the closest prong until it wears down and jumps to another closer one. They do last a long time though, but are impossible to gap. I'm really not a big fan of autolites either. Motorcraft is Ford and they're okay. A plug will only hurt your gas mileage or power if it's wore out, malfunctioning, or improperly gapped.. or in the case of boost/NOS/alternative fuels too hot or too cold. You shouldn't really see a problem as long as you properly gap them. Getting aftermarket ignition components will help with mileage and top end performance. I always recommend MSD coil over plugs if you want a performance gain.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted
I use NGK Iridium 9's.. and I recommend them. Hotter or colder plugs really don't come into play until you start talking about high levels of NOS or boosting. I stay away from motorcraft for sure. The E3's are also just a sales gimmick as with any plug that as some flashy design or something like a "4" spark kernel or something like that. Always remember, electricity, water, and air all have the same characteristics. They always try to follow the path of least resistance. Since jumping an air gap in a spark plug takes a ton of power because the gap = resistance, the kernel will always go to the closest prong until it wears down and jumps to another closer one. They do last a long time though, but are impossible to gap. I'm really not a big fan of autolites either. A plug will only hurt your gas mileage or power if it's wore out, malfunctioning, or improperly gapped.. or in the case of boost/NOS/alternative fuels too hot or too cold. You shouldn't really see a problem as long as you properly gap them. Getting aftermarket ignition components will help with mileage and top end performance. I always recommend MSD coil over plugs if you want a performance gain.
Ok man thanks for the info. That helped a lot

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 AM ----------

Ill prolly pick them up tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC182 View Post
I'm going to agree with "SSC182" on the Autolites. My Performance shop is doing a Tune-up on my car and they are using Autolite "HT1" plugs, and I trust this shop 100% with whatever they do.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

I just realized that I had said stay away from motorcraft.. I meant Bosch. Motorcraft is Ford and they're okay. I made an edit to my post to reflect that. Was tired...
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT