Battery Relocation help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Battery Relocation help

So I have a battery relocation kit. It seems like it's a fairly simple installation, however, I've run into a snag. It's been recommended in a few places to put the box and battery in the passenger side of the trunk. This is where I want to put it as well, but underneath the car is the fuel tank. I have to drill two holes and put these long rod/bolts through and thread nuts onto the end of them that come up through the floor, through the batter box, and then have a cross piece that goes over the top of the battery to secure it with more nuts. There's no easy way to access the area from underneath the car, and I'm worried about drilling holes and hitting something underneath. Is there an easy way to simply lower the fuel tank without having to disconnect everything that will give me access to the bottom side of the floor so I can drill a couple holes and be done with it? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustang_Madness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fairchild AFB
Region: Washington
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted
So I have a battery relocation kit. It seems like it's a fairly simple installation, however, I've run into a snag. It's been recommended in a few places to put the box and battery in the passenger side of the trunk. This is where I want to put it as well, but underneath the car is the fuel tank. I have to drill two holes and put these long rod/bolts through and thread nuts onto the end of them that come up through the floor, through the batter box, and then have a cross piece that goes over the top of the battery to secure it with more nuts. There's no easy way to access the area from underneath the car, and I'm worried about drilling holes and hitting something underneath. Is there an easy way to simply lower the fuel tank without having to disconnect everything that will give me access to the bottom side of the floor so I can drill a couple holes and be done with it? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!
Why drill holes in the flooring? Attach it to the side of the trunk! You can put it Anywhere! I strapped mine to the passenger side trunk wall. I bolted the straps to the side and strapped it in, but im building a custom box for my subs, and took out the backseat so im putting a fresh New battery in the mount i make on that! With my subs on either side And my speakers on the rear seat wall leading into the trunk!
__________________
K&N CAI, Cobra 18" Rims, Cobra Brakes, More Mods to come!
Mustang_Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
CodyNelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,204
Re: Battery Relocation help

Just drop the gas tank. With a jack its a one man job. I have had mine out several times for different reasons and its not hard at all
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Battery Relocation help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
Just drop the gas tank. With a jack its a one man job. I have had mine out several times for different reasons and its not hard at all
I don't have to disconnect anything from the fuel tank?? I can just loosen the straps and lower it without worrying? If that's the case, then that's awesome!
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
CodyNelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted

I don't have to disconnect anything from the fuel tank?? I can just loosen the straps and lower it without worrying? If that's the case, then that's awesome!
Nope! Just three bolts from the straps. The filler neck will hold up the passenger side but the drivers side will go all the way to the ground. Once it's down you will have plenty of room to drill your holes and run the rods in
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Battery Relocation help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
Nope! Just three bolts from the straps. The filler neck will hold up the passenger side but the drivers side will go all the way to the ground. Once it's down you will have plenty of room to drill your holes and run the rods in
Awesome!! The only problem is I'm putting the box on the passenger's side in the trunk.. I just hope the fuel tank lowers enough that I can get up in there with no problem.. Thanks for the info!!!
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
CodyNelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,204
Re: Battery Relocation help

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted View Post
Awesome!! The only problem is I'm putting the box on the passenger's side in the trunk.. I just hope the fuel tank lowers enough that I can get up in there with no problem.. Thanks for the info!!!
It will, thats how i did mine. The only thing i disconnected was the main fuel line coming out of the tank. Then i just twisted the tank out of the way and it was smooth sailing from there
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Battery Relocation help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
It will, thats how i did mine. The only thing i disconnected was the main fuel line coming out of the tank. Then i just twisted the tank out of the way and it was smooth sailing from there
What were the steps you took to disconnect the main fuel line? Did you have to have an empty tank and bleed off pressure and all that? Is it simple to disconnect the line? Or do I really even need to worry about it? I'm just trying to get a really good idea as to what all is required with it. Thanks again man!!
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
CodyNelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,204
Re: Battery Relocation help

Drive till your low fuel light is on, then use a fuel line disconnector (get one from Auto Zone for like 5 bucks) to disconnect the line. Its super super easy
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustang_Madness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fairchild AFB
Region: Washington
Posts: 686
Re: Battery Relocation help

if you disconnect the line, turn off the fuel pump.. if you don't, unstrap it on one side, spin it around and rest it on some books. that'll keep it in the air..
__________________
K&N CAI, Cobra 18" Rims, Cobra Brakes, More Mods to come!
Mustang_Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Battery Relocation help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
Drive till your low fuel light is on, then use a fuel line disconnector (get one from Auto Zone for like 5 bucks) to disconnect the line. Its super super easy
Alright awesome.. is the line pressurized, or does the tool take care of that? Once I disconnect the line, even though the tank is empty, am I gonna have fuel coming out of the line or tank?
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
CodyNelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted

Alright awesome.. is the line pressurized, or does the tool take care of that? Once I disconnect the line, even though the tank is empty, am I gonna have fuel coming out of the line or tank?
There won't be any pressure on the line. The tool just disconnects the lines. You will have some fuel spill out though. But it will only be the fuel between the fuel pump and fuel filter. Should drain off in like 1 second
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Battery Relocation help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
There won't be any pressure on the line. The tool just disconnects the lines. You will have some fuel spill out though. But it will only be the fuel between the fuel pump and fuel filter. Should drain off in like 1 second
Awesome!!! I really appreciate it!! I do believe that pretty much covers everything!! I'm sure once I start it later in the spring i'll run into more questions, I always do, but for now that's it!! Thanks!!
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Battery Relocation help

Note: IF, you plan on drag racing and you are using a regular lead plate style battery, you may want to consider mounting the battery cross ways instead of inline with the car body.The lead plates in a regular battery can bend, touch each other and short out when subjected to drag strip launches.


Also on my car (86 GT) it appears that if I mount the battery across the trunk I can position those mounting holes to where they will be between the frame rail and fuel tank, making the bolts more easily accessible and drilling the holes safer and easier.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #15
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Battery Relocation help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Note: IF, you plan on drag racing and you are using a regular lead plate style battery, you may want to consider mounting the battery cross ways instead of inline with the car body.The lead plates in a regular battery can bend, touch each other and short out when subjected to drag strip launches.


Also on my car (86 GT) it appears that if I mount the battery across the trunk I can position those mounting holes to where they will be between the frame rail and fuel tank, making the bolts more easily accessible and drilling the holes safer and easier.
That's a good tip!! Thank you!! Fortunately I have an Optima battery, so no worries. The car is a 2000, so all unibody, but that is some really helpful info!!
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wire Help Seabiscuit Mustang Audio & Video 4 04-12-2012 08:14 PM
Help? Fordhartbreaker Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 15 03-10-2012 01:16 PM
Help with mustang banner Bighebs10 Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing 11 03-05-2012 01:12 PM
Color help? Bighebs10 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 11 03-05-2012 11:54 AM
need help with hid dmax8709 Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing 4 03-04-2012 04:57 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



07:36 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.