Cams - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Cams

Hey guys I'm thinking about putting some cams in my 02 GT. Any information at all about camming GTs or price, recommendations, or brands etc would be awesome.
AmericanMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
What other mods do u have?
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

At the moment I have a ram air intake and catback flow master. Between now and the cam(early may hopefully) I'm putting on Mac long tubes, or x pipe, plenum and throttle body, lowering springs and 3.73. Then cams but I figured id get a jump on research and get some ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Check out am. That's where I'm getting my cams from stage 2 comp cams.
Jsansom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Cams

If you plan on having basically a bolt on stock block 2v then stage 1 cams will do the trick.

That stock shortblock isn't high revving enough to really take advantage of the higher stage cams so I wouldn't spend that kind of money on them if you plan on sticking with that block.

I'd guess with your current mods, plus more exhaust, upgraded intakes, 4.10's, and aftermarket upper/lower control arms you could have a low low 13's possibly 12's 2v.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

On am the stage one and stage two cams r the same price..
Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys. I'm new to this forum so this helps out a lot. I really don't want to do 4.10s because it's my daily driver and I like my highway Mpgs. I did some research on the stage 1 and most people said they wish they would have done the stage 2 comps. So I'd probably do that. Do I need new springs and valves and cam gears I think they are called as well?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Springs yes! Valve and cams gears no.. Might also wanna get the retainers also..
Old 03-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The plans down the road within a year are to supercharge it with a Kenne Bell. Then after some time when it blows something rebuild it forged and bore it to a 5.0. So I'd like to do blower cams (stage two or three) and possibly heads as well. Some input on heads would be good too.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Uhhhhh...what are retainers? Lol and I thought I needed new gears because the stock ones are pressed onto the stock cams..that's what I heard.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsansom View Post
On am the stage one and stage two cams r the same price..
This is true...but you have to remember that the stage 2's are a heavier cam...they are built to create power around 3000 rpms and end ~7000 rpms...your 2v only revs to ~5700, so that's almost 2k of wasted power.
Not to mention the lack of power up to that 3k range with the stage 2.

The stage 1's powerband can be felt as low as ~500 rpms and up to 5400-5500 rpms, which is more suited for a stock block 2v.

I'm guessing most guys that say they wished they went with the stage 2 either wanted them for the sound or ended up doing some more serious building shortly after and wished they would've waited and done stag 2's.

It's up to you, but after talking to numerous 2v guys it seems that stage 1's are better suited for 90% of 2v owners that don't go beyond the bolt on phase.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMetal View Post
The plans down the road within a year are to supercharge it with a Kenne Bell. Then after some time when it blows something rebuild it forged and bore it to a 5.0. So I'd like to do blower cams (stage two or three) and possibly heads as well. Some input on heads would be good too.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Uhhhhh...what are retainers? Lol and I thought I needed new gears because the stock ones are pressed onto the stock cams..that's what I heard.
Well if your plans are to go FI within a year than I'd wait on the stage 1's and just get blower cams. Why spend all that money (589 for cams and 350 for new gears, plus install if it applies) to replace them a year later.

At that point I'd plan on new heads, forged bottom end and a beefed up drivetrain...KB's are no joke.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Well if your plans are to go FI within a year than I'd wait on the stage 1's and just get blower cams. Why spend all that money (589 for cams and 350 for new gears, plus install if it applies) to replace them a year later.

At that point I'd plan on new heads, forged bottom end and a beefed up drivetrain...KB's are no joke.
wut if he did stage 2 cam... then the blower. wutever torque he would be missing down low would be negated by the blower. and even if he only reved to 6k, it would still make more hp wit stage 2 than stage 1....

obviously im not a mod motor guy...so im just askn...

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

If you do decide to go with comp cams stage 2 let me know. I bought a set for my car figuring I would do it at the same time as I did my PI swap and it turns out I dont have enough clearance even with degreeing them. I am guessing it has something to do with me swapping pi heads onto a npi block. If you are interested I will make you a heck of a deal.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark98gt
If you do decide to go with comp cams stage 2 let me know. I bought a set for my car figuring I would do it at the same time as I did my PI swap and it turns out I dont have enough clearance even with degreeing them. I am guessing it has something to do with me swapping pi heads onto a npi block. If you are interested I will make you a heck of a deal.
How much u want for them?
dmax8709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma

Hey ya man I'm gonna jump in here because eventually when I get my baby restored I'm doin cams and N20... So I found a cam and springs kit w/everything needed at summit for 699.00$ not bad at all and I've seen videos on YouTube for install and it looks easy then just get a tune from Bama then Bam! There ya go...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I really want to do the xtreme energy 278 comp can but I think I have to have aftermarket heads because they won't clear the stock ones. I'll probably go stage two (270) and keep my heads for now then when I do slap a blower on I'll redo the top and sell the cams. If I do the 278 now I'll almost be hurting my power band and I don't want that. I think stage two it is.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I really want to do stage 1 cams to my car but I can't find enough installing info for that job. I've also hear that the stock cam gears are pressed on and you have to get new cam gears and bolts.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #18
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
This is true...but you have to remember that the stage 2's are a heavier cam...they are built to create power around 3000 rpms and end ~7000 rpms...your 2v only revs to ~5700, so that's almost 2k of wasted power.
Not to mention the lack of power up to that 3k range with the stage 2.

The stage 1's powerband can be felt as low as ~500 rpms and up to 5400-5500 rpms, which is more suited for a stock block 2v.

I'm guessing most guys that say they wished they went with the stage 2 either wanted them for the sound or ended up doing some more serious building shortly after and wished they would've waited and done stag 2's.

It's up to you, but after talking to numerous 2v guys it seems that stage 1's are better suited for 90% of 2v owners that don't go beyond the bolt on phase.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned on here is what your metallurgical tolerances and shiftpoint are. For a stock 4.6L GT, I've calculated shift point to be a max of 5942 RPM.
1265 x intake CFM / one cylinder's CID.. so 1265 x 165 CFM / 35.125" = 5942.35 RPM
Going with a Stage 2 Cam that raises your powerband to around 7K RPM's is useless because you're exceeding your shiftpoint. You run into all kinds of problems when you do this. Not to mention that without a tune, your stock ECM is governed at around 5750 RPM anyways. 4.6L's are known to have weak rods, and then there is valve float issues if you don't upgrade your springs. I would stick with the Stage 1 cams unless you're doing a full rebuild of your engine (like if you were adding a supercharger). If you do decide to add a supercharger, then higher flowing heads, cams, valves and other things come into play. You'll definately need forged rods, pistons and a crankshaft. As for boring out the 4.6L to to 5.0L, I had the same idea, but there may not be enough cylinder side wall to play with in order to do this along with being boosted. I would recommend doing a mix between your stroke and boring since you're going to be doing rods and a crank anyways. It isn't just boring that changes the displacement of your engine. Stroke also plays a huge factor and can dramatically change the engine's character. I would get into the pro's and con's of boring vs. rod length here, but this is already long. If you want some more info I'd be glad to help, and I can calculate everything out for you as well if that helps. Good luck man!!
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. My 2v revs to around 6100 actually that I've seen. It may not make peak power there but it revs that high. 4.6's have pretty strong internals and many can have 450rwhp going to them and still be 'safe' according to many people a well as Kenne Bell. I don't plan on rebuilding it with forged internals until I throw something from running that power, or it holds it, and I get bored, so I rebuild it to handle more power.
Id definitely get it tuned for obvious reasons, a buddy of mine does something called 'live tuning' and that IS his job so he is a good bet for tuning. He's done all my friends f body's and mustangs. I've also heard its okay to run a 6500 rpm limit with aftermarket cams as long as the springs are okay with it (upgraded).
If most 2v mustangs that are upgraded, built even, are not revving to 7500k like the cam says, why would they make a cam for that if we couldn't use it? I guess to say that it has the potential or something? Regardless, I'll probably go with the 270 because I have a good job finally now that pays well for college and I actually have some money left over for upgrading and just got the car paid off. woo! So I'll be upgrading other parts to help the cam use it's full potential.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Listen (or read lol) very carefully....Call modular head shop!!!! Nick is the smartest guy in the business and will help you out a ton!! He even has custom spec cams that you cant just buy anywhere. Ask ColeJohnson on here, I told him the same thing and called nick and is extremely pleased! Nick at MHS is the BEST THERE IS

Also, it is true that these cars make peak power up to between 5700-5900. However this is only due to the cam that Ford put in the car. When you swap cams the car will be able to rev much higher. You can take it up to 6500 rpms. And the only reason you cant go higher than that is the intake manifold. Bottom line, you will probably be happier with stage 2
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma

Yes I'd say stage two sounds better but harder on valve train. I like the advice from Cody I'm gonna have to call this numer an get some price quotes...

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Jjsg09 from what I've seen and heard they are not pressed on, and yes you do need new cam bolts... I found summit has a kit by trickflow for $699.00 and the kit has everything needed... The extra tool that's a must is a cam-chain retention tool, and a air compressor to float the valves... It all looks straight forward and easy to install... Just look up nasty sounding mustang after thumper cam install. It's a video on how to easy it is to switch em out...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #22
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

super stupid question here..... but dont u modular guys break exhaust manifold bolts all the time? or is that something ford fixed like the valve seals?

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Okay so I checked out comp cams actual site and it looks like the 270 is the way to go. I'm not sure where you guys got such a high rpm capability but it says 6200 which is perfect. Still don't know if I need cam gears or not.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
Listen (or read lol) very carefully....Call modular head shop!!!! Nick is the smartest guy in the business and will help you out a ton!! He even has custom spec cams that you cant just buy anywhere. Ask ColeJohnson on here, I told him the same thing and called nick and is extremely pleased! Nick at MHS is the BEST THERE IS

Also, it is true that these cars make peak power up to between 5700-5900. However this is only due to the cam that Ford put in the car. When you swap cams the car will be able to rev much higher. You can take it up to 6500 rpms. And the only reason you cant go higher than that is the intake manifold. Bottom line, you will probably be happier with stage 2
While a cam will let you rev higher per say, it'll only happen after the ECM is re tuned to get rid of the rev limiter.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright
Yes I'd say stage two sounds better but harder on valve train. I like the advice from Cody I'm gonna have to call this numer an get some price quotes...

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Jjsg09 from what I've seen and heard they are not pressed on, and yes you do need new cam bolts... I found summit has a kit by trickflow for $699.00 and the kit has everything needed... The extra tool that's a must is a cam-chain retention tool, and a air compressor to float the valves... It all looks straight forward and easy to install... Just look up nasty sounding mustang after thumper cam install. It's a video on how to easy it is to switch em out...
Is it required on stage 1 cams to change the stock valve springs? If so I've heard that is hard to do and you could risk dropping a valve in the cylinder.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think it's required but highly recommended.. Again not 100% sure on tht..
Old 03-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #27
Road Trip!

One other thing you must remember when it comes to upgrading your cam is piston to valve clearance. If you have room to play with than great, by all means upgrade. But I would check into just what the clearances are so you don't have your piston slapping your valve from a new cam because the cam is opening the valve further or keeping it open longer. Which brings up a question.. does anyone know what the stock piston to valve clearance actually is??
Old 03-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I've looked around and the 270 fits but barely. 278 which is the blower cam needs after market heads because if clearance
Old 03-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

How well will the 270 work with fa and trickflow twisted heads? Or should i just go for the 278? Im only wanting about 500hp at the wheels. Im goin with the kenny belle 2.1L sc. Can i get that hp with the 270s? And yes i know the whole bottom end will be built up and forged. If the 270 will work i was gonna go ahead and get those soon. Cause it'll be a while before i can get the sc. Kinda hard to scrap up 4grand and i can get the cams for my bday which is july.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

If you're going built and blown then get the 278. It's made for boost.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMetal
If you're going built and blown then get the 278. It's made for boost.
Yea i knew that. But Im like a kid n a toy store. When i see something new and shiny its hard to turn down lol. But i still want the car to be driveable. Its not a dd but its more of a Sunday car. I didn't know how that 278 would do on something like that. Everyone i know has the stage II
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I've been doing so much research on cams lately lol. It will be drivable for a Sunday car but if it was a dd then stage two is ok
Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've been doing so much research on cams lately lol. It will be drivable for a Sunday car but if it was a dd then stage two is ok
I drive it less than 10 times a month. And i would have to wait to put the sc on to put them on right? And the stage 3 r over double the price will it be worth it?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah you could do it before you put a blower on it but it will be a horrible awkward torque band until you put the Kenne bell on her
Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah you could do it before you put a blower on it but it will be a horrible awkward torque band until you put the Kenne bell on her
I've heard just the cams and valve springs make a good hp?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT