Post brake pad install help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Post brake pad install help

I installed new pads about 2 weeks ago on the front. They were squeeling coasting and the noise would go away when applying the brakes. I used grease on the clips and tightened everything as it should be. The noise went away. Occasionally it would squeek a little still though while coasting. It was intermittent though. Well the squeeking seems to have stopped but now when stopping under 5 mph, the brakes are making like a grab or clunking noise that can be felt in the brake pedal. New rotors? Help..
silvr002001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
To me it kinda sounds like you have air in your brake lines I'm not 100% but bleeding them couldn't hurt. And for the squeeking using pads from auto zone or pep boys but they sell a spray called brake quiet but it could have been your new pads wearing into your rotors. Did you machine your rotors or get new ones?
Vegas97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas97gt
To me it kinda sounds like you have air in your brake lines I'm not 100% but bleeding them couldn't hurt. And for the squeeking using pads from auto zone or pep boys but they sell a spray called brake quiet but it could have been your new pads wearing into your rotors. Did you machine your rotors or get new ones?
Yup, but consider turning the rotors real soon cuz the pads are flat with no worn surface. That means worn grooves on the rotors make contact. Semi-metallic pads means metal against metal too. Guess you know where this is headed.
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Re: Post brake pad install help

The other odd thing is that it only does it when some heat has built up in them. When everything is cold it acts normal. I suppose I will give it just a bit to see if it clears up and if not I will start over with new rotors. The rotors that are there now were on the car when I bought it. I don't know how many times they have been turned or how old they are. With the price of rotors it may just be best to replace them. I guess I was trying to get away with being cheap an replace pads only.
silvr002001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvr002001
The other odd thing is that it only does it when some heat has built up in them. When everything is cold it acts normal. I suppose I will give it just a bit to see if it clears up and if not I will start over with new rotors. The rotors that are there now were on the car when I bought it. I don't know how many times they have been turned or how old they are. With the price of rotors it may just be best to replace them. I guess I was trying to get away with being cheap an replace pads only.
Naw, check rotors first, but more importantly, verify pad quality. Metallic pads out last the rotors and build up temps too. They warp rotors too. Not sure of types of pads. Maybe someone will chime in and give details.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Not to steal the thread but I did my brakes and upgraded to drill/slotted rotors and I get a clicking sound like a card in a bicycle Spoke every time I apply the brakes what could that be
Burkeys96GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Stock gt brakes suck! Front calipers freeze, warped rotors..blah. blah. Blah! Buy some mach1 / cobra calipers and bigger rotors, along with some braided lines -------> YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED! you may need a finer "banjo" bolt where the.line screws into the caliper. Which can be bought any auto store for a few bucks. If you get drilled rear rotors... unless you have cobra rears (vented) I heard you will get the popping noise due to gasses not having an escape route..(like vented or slotted) and may have that "card in the spokes noise". When I researched, and upgraded my brakes that's what a lot of people said the noise was. I hope this helps you guys.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have drill/slotted front and rear
Burkeys96GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT