Loss of power? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Loss of power?

Ok I got a problem. now I notice for the past i wanna say month maybe longer I've progressively noticed a decline in throttle response and just over all power. The best way I can describe it is that the car feels lazy almost like there's a lag and then today while picking up lunch, it didn't start up right away. Had to turn it over 3 times before it started. It was getting spark so I'm thinking, given its other symptoms, it's gotta be fuel. Am I right or does anyone have any other thoughts?
I'd really appreciate any advice thanks!
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Start with basic tune up, correctly gapped plugs, good coils/wires, fuel filter, check fuel pressure. Always start with the cheap easy stuff. Most problems with any kind of machine are almost always basic stuff.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The plugs are new came with the nitrous kit ( which is installed but not used yet, pending a tune), I don't think the coils would be bad yet the car only has 49,622 mile on it, but I don't remember if I've ever had the fuel filter changed so I might start with that. Thanx
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Np, plugs for nitrous are a step colder I believe. When a car is tuned properly for nitrous it's not the same as when tuned for NA. I'd suggest tuning for nitrous w/o using the nitrous and get everything right before actually spraying it.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So I just tested the fuel filter and it seemed to be in good shape any other suggestions?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Checked the coils no problems they look clean. Does any one know how to check for a problem with the fuel pump or if our cars have an in - tank fuel filter?
Old 03-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
They have an in tank filter, i think it may be your fuel pump getting weak, you can have the fuel pressure tested to see what kinda pressure you are getting, sounds to me like it is starving for fuel, that would explain the hard start. Coils could be bad but sounds like fuel
1quick4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota
Re: Loss of power?

One other simple thing to check is air filter. If it's really dirty you could be having a loss there. An oil change might be in the works if you haven't done it in a while. Sludge can really gum things up. I know you said you don't have a lot of miles, but I've seen some strange things as well. Properly gapped plugs are a good idea, make sure your battery is charged, you said fuel filter was ok.. make sure fuel lines aren't pinched.. make sure there's nothing stuck in your exhaust. Hope all this helps!!
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I got a question in our returnless fuel system if the pump wasn't providing enough fuel wouldn't the CEL come on?
Old 03-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

No
Old 03-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm and does any one know what the fuel pressures are supposed to be?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar
Hmm and does any one know what the fuel pressures are supposed to be?
Remove the intake reference line, whicg is the vacuum that goes from the intake to the fuel rail and check the pressure, at idle your fuel pressure should be around 38-42.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quick4.6

Remove the intake reference line, whicg is the vacuum that goes from the intake to the fuel rail and check the pressure, at idle your fuel pressure should be around 38-42.
Are you referring to this and if so what should I use to test it. And does any one know where this goes ( pic 2) I found it disconnected...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-815996098.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	474.6 KB
ID:	43178   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3439318678.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	485.7 KB
ID:	43179  

Old 03-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yes thats it, and use a fuel pressure tester, the other line in the other pic looks like a vacuum
Old 03-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I don't have a FP tester so I'm sol until Monday then I'll test the pressure. I'm probably gonna order one of those adapters for a FP gauge/ N2o hook up, Go back to motorcraft plugs, run some fuel system cleaner through it then as well. I'm gonna see if the wife can be convinced to let me order sum new fuel rails along with my tuner. * fingers crossed*

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Oh and the other pic im pretty sure it's not a vac line. It feels like a wire maybe for a ground?? It runs down into that harness that runs over the driver side valve cover.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok I don't have a FP tester so I'm sol until Monday then I'll test the pressure. I'm probably gonna order one of those adapters for a FP gauge/ N2o hook up, Go back to motorcraft plugs, run some fuel system cleaner through it then as well. I'm gonna see if the wife can be convinced to let me order sum new fuel rails along with my tuner. * fingers crossed*

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Oh and the other pic im pretty sure it's not a vac line. It feels like a wire maybe for a ground?? It runs down into that harness that runs over the driver side valve cover.
If u need to u can rent one autozone or advance. Tomorrow i will go out to garage and look at my mustang and see if i can track down where that other line is supposed to be plugged in. And as far as the plugs go thats a good idea to go back with motorcraft, ive tried numerous plugs and the motorcraft seem to be the best. I just ordered a set of msd coils today, i powerwashed under the hood and fried 3 of the 8 coils i had.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ouch... Well thanks for all the advice I'll post when I get the fuel pressure checked
Old 03-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
I got a question in our returnless fuel system if the pump wasn't providing enough fuel wouldn't the CEL come on?
A bit of interesting information concerning the CEL that surprised me. Basically all cars will store various codes without showing the CEL, the only ones that will throw the CEL are emissions related. If the problem with the car doesn't effect it's emissions output, it usually does not show a light. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, but its a good reason to buy one of those 30 dollar code readers off Amazon or buy a tuner that pulls them. Sometimes you have a short list of codes, but the CEL just came on because of some stupid evap or an o2, etc.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quick4.6

If u need to u can rent one autozone or advance. Tomorrow i will go out to garage and look at my mustang and see if i can track down where that other line is supposed to be plugged in. And as far as the plugs go thats a good idea to go back with motorcraft, ive tried numerous plugs and the motorcraft seem to be the best. I just ordered a set of msd coils today, i powerwashed under the hood and fried 3 of the 8 coils i had.
Any luck figuring out what that line is?
Old 03-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

It is a ground. It goes over the back stud on the fuel rail
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Ahh that makes sense thanks very much!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
You can also check your o2's it might be giving the wrong fuel/air ratio
Old 03-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Wouldnt bad O2's throw a CEL? They are emissions parts.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Wouldnt bad O2's throw a CEL? They are emissions parts.
Yes
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I thought. I'm having the fuel pressure tested tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Ok tested the fuel pressure today at my mechanic's shop and at KOEO it was sitting at 47 psi. He determined that the pump is running and holding the pressure. I'm getting some new fuel rails coming in the mail so I'm gonna put some motor craft plugs in to replace the zex ones that came with the nitrous while I'm at it and see where I sit after that.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so I got the new plugs in and slapped on the new fuel rails and I'm pretty sure the plugs fixed it. It still feels a bit sluggish at higher speeds but that may be a clutch issue. I bought a Zoom clutch and it was sh!++¥ to begin with so... I've got my tuner on the way from AM so I'm waiting for that to hopefully give me a boost in HP. Has any one used the SCT tuner with the BAMA performance tunes from AM on their car?
Old 03-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar View Post
Ok so I got the new plugs in and slapped on the new fuel rails and I'm pretty sure the plugs fixed it. It still feels a bit sluggish at higher speeds but that may be a clutch issue. I bought a Zoom clutch and it was sh!++¥ to begin with so... I've got my tuner on the way from AM so I'm waiting for that to hopefully give me a boost in HP. Has any one used the SCT tuner with the BAMA performance tunes from AM on their car?
I'm about to, but I've heard nothing but good things about it, and I highly recommend it. Tunes for life can't be beat.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted

I'm about to, but I've heard nothing but good things about it, and I highly recommend it. Tunes for life can't be beat.
Yeah that's what sold me. I had a coupon code for AM and I got 10% off and did 3 day shipping. All out the door for $358.16 with free tunes for life.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar View Post
Yeah that's what sold me. I had a coupon code for AM and I got 10% off and did 3 day shipping. All out the door for $358.16 with free tunes for life.
That's awesome man!! I'm about to break down and get it.. just waiting on taxes and my next check.. then I'm blowing $3200...
Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #31

Region: Washington
Just a thought.. I was having problems with power after about 4500 rpm. It almost seemed like it would decline rather than increase in power like it should. And it was also idling a little rough. I took out my MAF sensor and i could see build up on both wires, so i cleaned it, (with carburetor cleaner and some q-tips) and put it back in. Sure enough it feels like I just gained a ton of HP and torque. cars running amazing. Apparently this is common especially with K and N filters due to the oil in them, I have one as well. Might be something to check, it's easy and cheap...
Teneys97GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Cool Re: Loss of power?

Man I would just take back to the shop or wherever and code check it see if it pulls something up... I was runnin lean didn't even know it, no cel codes, nothin... The O2s got replaced and knew mass air meter, cleaned out plenum, and that really helped me... But you got low miles so I'd just clean my maf meter if I was u, and the tune for the plugs will still probably really solve ur problem though.... Tuned mine and it really helped!..

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teneys97GT View Post
Just a thought.. I was having problems with power after about 4500 rpm. It almost seemed like it would decline rather than increase in power like it should. And it was also idling a little rough. I took out my MAF sensor and i could see build up on both wires, so i cleaned it, (with carburetor cleaner and some q-tips) and put it back in. Sure enough it feels like I just gained a ton of HP and torque. cars running amazing. Apparently this is common especially with K and N filters due to the oil in them, I have one as well. Might be something to check, it's easy and cheap...
Noo!!!!!! Please don't ever do that again! Lol... Never use carb cleaner on ur mass sensor... Yes I know it helped but carb cleaner can really eat those wires right up. Just use mass air flow cleaner, it's actually is cheaper too lol...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #33

Region: Washington
Haha ok good to know. I won't do it again. On the topic though it was amazing how much power I was missing, putting a number on it would make me sound nuts but let's just say it was a lot
Teneys97GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
What should you use to clean tbe maf were the hell do you get maf cleaner?,i really wanna do this top my car but I want kno the correct way to do it
01bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #35

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01bullitt
What should you use to clean tbe maf were the hell do you get maf cleaner?,i really wanna do this top my car but I want kno the correct way to do it
I second that. Curious
IndyMustang51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT