Your Favorite Clutch and Why - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota
Your Favorite Clutch and Why

Alright, so I'm looking into getting a new clutch. But.. before I do any upgrade, I like to get people's opinions since I don't really trust reviews on product's websites. I seriously like Centerforce. I've used them before and I think they are awesome, but I'm having a hard time deciding on them because their website is pretty lame. I looked at RAM, but I'm trying to go with a clutch/flywheel combo and the kits they offer on AM are around $950.. they're good up to 800 ft/lbs of torque, but I'm nowhere near that and don't plan on being there ever. I haven't really heard anything about Exedy or Spec.. Any help or advice would be great. I don't need a monster clutch, just something in the range of handling around 400 to 500 HP. I do want a lightweight flywheel and would like a combo kit if anyone knows of any. Also, is the 2000 GT internally or externally balanced? Thanks!!
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Re: Your Favorite Clutch and Why

All clutches are heresay, but I hear more negativity directed towards the Specs than any other brand.. All 4.6s are internally balanced.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
All clutches are heresay, but I hear more negativity directed towards the Specs than any other brand.. All 4.6s are internally balanced.
Ok good.. That means I can get a neutral flywheel and not worry about it.. plus they're a little cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Same here ive heard a lot mixed reviews on specs that's why I went with a RAM and i ve hade no issues with it I had it for almost 2yrs now works great
Ruben3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben3 View Post
Same here ive heard a lot mixed reviews on specs that's why I went with a RAM and i ve hade no issues with it I had it for almost 2yrs now works great
I'm seriously considering going with Centerforce anyways, but RAM would be my second choice. I just don't need that heavy duty of a clutch. Anyone know what the stock flywheel weight in our 4.6L are?? They're probably all the same from 99-04, but I have a 2000 just in case they changed anything with the tranny change they did from the T45 to the TR3650 or whatever.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: California
racist gabacho

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

mela pelas

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

chupas?
robertoortiz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertoortiz85
racist gabacho

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

mela pelas
Not sure what that has to do with clutches and flywheels
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Road Trip!

k twisted chupa
Old 03-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post
Not sure what that has to do with clutches and flywheels
Me either.. and this is kind of an older post too.. Anyways, I have an update. Going with a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and matching steel billet flywheel that i believe is slightly lighter than stock. This one is 26.7 pounds and I thought i heard stock flywheel weight was 28 pounds? I'm getting a steeda tri ax short throw shifter, an FRPP aluminum driveshaft, and FRPP 4.10 gears with the Trak Lok rebuild kit and the combo with the tuner and gear oil and all that. I'll be using Amsoil products for it all though so if anyone wants 3 bottles of gear lube lemme know..
Old 03-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted

Me either.. and this is kind of an older post too.. Anyways, I have an update. Going with a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and matching steel billet flywheel that i believe is slightly lighter than stock. This one is 26.7 pounds and I thought i heard stock flywheel weight was 28 pounds? I'm getting a steeda tri ax short throw shifter, an FRPP aluminum driveshaft, and FRPP 4.10 gears with the Trak Lok rebuild kit and the combo with the tuner and gear oil and all that. I'll be using Amsoil products for it all though so if anyone wants 3 bottles of gear lube lemme know..
Sounds good man, let us know how you like it all when it's all installed and everything!
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
the only bad things I've heard about the spec clutchis is the pilot and throw out bearing and it looks to me that if u use ford racing bearings they are pretty good I'm looking into a stage 1 soon
br10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
Road Trip!

yeah that's what I figure when I hear the bearing slide in the shaft probebly its driying up, because the clutch feels great after that first and second it just shatters on the begining and I can bring it going from second without sliping, has good grip
Old 03-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma

Me personally would go all ford racing...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
My mach 1 has a spec stage 2 and I'm not a fan at all. a little grip comes in a soon a you let it up then it cuts in full tilt over a 1cm pedal duration. I've largely gotten use to it but its still not great. It also gives me bs on a 2-3 quick shift and is a ***** to get of the line without blowing the tired off or bogging. I'll be going centerforce as soon as this pos gives up. I'll also be doing the steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster too.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
My mach 1 has a spec stage 2 and I'm not a fan at all. a little grip comes in a soon a you let it up then it cuts in full tilt over a 1cm pedal duration. I've largely gotten use to it but its still not great. It also gives me bs on a 2-3 quick shift and is a ***** to get of the line without blowing the tired off or bogging. I'll be going centerforce as soon as this pos gives up. I'll also be doing the steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster too.
What's the reason/need for the quadrant/firewall adjuster?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What's the reason/need for the quadrant/firewall adjuster?
The stock cable stretches and I like to fine tune my clutch activation. Most aftermarket clutches require at least a new quadrant.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
The stock cable stretches and I like to fine tune my clutch activation. Most aftermarket clutches require at least a new quadrant.
So would an adjustable cable or a firewall adjuster be better? Or perhaps using both together?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So would an adjustable cable or a firewall adjuster be better? Or perhaps using both together?
Depends on your application I guess. fire wall adjuster is quicker and easier but is a little more money.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #19

Region: Hawaii

Center force dual friction...... Best clutch i ever had.
2KSTAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KSTAG View Post
Center force dual friction...... Best clutch i ever had.
I agree! I've used Centerforce in two other vehicles, one a 93 Fox, and one a 90 Bronco all decked out for offroading. Love 'em! That's why I'm putting dual friction in my 00 soon as well.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Depends on your application I guess. fire wall adjuster is quicker and easier but is a little more money.
I was looking at AM and they've got a Steeda Adjustable clutch cable for 10 bucks more than the firewall adjuster.. but if the adjuster is easier I may go that route..
Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

I would have to say ram. The one I'm using was in my friends 351w turbo car and was slipping after running it for awhile. I put it in mine and it works like a champ no slipping at all. I will definitely be replacing it when it goes out with another ram
Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark98gt View Post
I would have to say ram. The one I'm using was in my friends 351w turbo car and was slipping after running it for awhile. I put it in mine and it works like a champ no slipping at all. I will definitely be replacing it when it goes out with another ram
They were my very close second choice.. but experience with CF is leading me with them first.. If I have problems though, I may R+D with RAM..
Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #23
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
I have an 04 Mach 1 that the dude put a fancy clutch on and I have experienced the same as what you explain here. It grabs like a c hair off the floor. It's a pain to drive when your not gettin on it. Is this quick engagement better for your trans? It makes for herky jerky around town driving. Seems like that would be bad for the rest of your drivetrain.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT