Your Favorite Clutch and Why - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Your Favorite Clutch and Why

Alright, so I'm looking into getting a new clutch. But.. before I do any upgrade, I like to get people's opinions since I don't really trust reviews on product's websites. I seriously like Centerforce. I've used them before and I think they are awesome, but I'm having a hard time deciding on them because their website is pretty lame. I looked at RAM, but I'm trying to go with a clutch/flywheel combo and the kits they offer on AM are around $950.. they're good up to 800 ft/lbs of torque, but I'm nowhere near that and don't plan on being there ever. I haven't really heard anything about Exedy or Spec.. Any help or advice would be great. I don't need a monster clutch, just something in the range of handling around 400 to 500 HP. I do want a lightweight flywheel and would like a combo kit if anyone knows of any. Also, is the 2000 GT internally or externally balanced? Thanks!!
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Re: Your Favorite Clutch and Why

All clutches are heresay, but I hear more negativity directed towards the Specs than any other brand.. All 4.6s are internally balanced.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Your Favorite Clutch and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
All clutches are heresay, but I hear more negativity directed towards the Specs than any other brand.. All 4.6s are internally balanced.
Ok good.. That means I can get a neutral flywheel and not worry about it.. plus they're a little cheaper.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ruben3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Region: Arizona
Posts: 37
Same here ive heard a lot mixed reviews on specs that's why I went with a RAM and i ve hade no issues with it I had it for almost 2yrs now works great
Ruben3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Your Favorite Clutch and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben3 View Post
Same here ive heard a lot mixed reviews on specs that's why I went with a RAM and i ve hade no issues with it I had it for almost 2yrs now works great
I'm seriously considering going with Centerforce anyways, but RAM would be my second choice. I just don't need that heavy duty of a clutch. Anyone know what the stock flywheel weight in our 4.6L are?? They're probably all the same from 99-04, but I have a 2000 just in case they changed anything with the tranny change they did from the T45 to the TR3650 or whatever.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: California
Posts: 330
racist gabacho

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

mela pelas

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

chupas?
robertoortiz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertoortiz85
racist gabacho

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

mela pelas
Not sure what that has to do with clutches and flywheels
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: California
Posts: 330
k twisted chupa
robertoortiz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Your Favorite Clutch and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post
Not sure what that has to do with clutches and flywheels
Me either.. and this is kind of an older post too.. Anyways, I have an update. Going with a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and matching steel billet flywheel that i believe is slightly lighter than stock. This one is 26.7 pounds and I thought i heard stock flywheel weight was 28 pounds? I'm getting a steeda tri ax short throw shifter, an FRPP aluminum driveshaft, and FRPP 4.10 gears with the Trak Lok rebuild kit and the combo with the tuner and gear oil and all that. I'll be using Amsoil products for it all though so if anyone wants 3 bottles of gear lube lemme know..
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigB227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted

Me either.. and this is kind of an older post too.. Anyways, I have an update. Going with a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and matching steel billet flywheel that i believe is slightly lighter than stock. This one is 26.7 pounds and I thought i heard stock flywheel weight was 28 pounds? I'm getting a steeda tri ax short throw shifter, an FRPP aluminum driveshaft, and FRPP 4.10 gears with the Trak Lok rebuild kit and the combo with the tuner and gear oil and all that. I'll be using Amsoil products for it all though so if anyone wants 3 bottles of gear lube lemme know..
Sounds good man, let us know how you like it all when it's all installed and everything!
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
br10301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 103
the only bad things I've heard about the spec clutchis is the pilot and throw out bearing and it looks to me that if u use ford racing bearings they are pretty good I'm looking into a stage 1 soon
br10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: California
Posts: 330
yeah that's what I figure when I hear the bearing slide in the shaft probebly its driying up, because the clutch feels great after that first and second it just shatters on the begining and I can bring it going from second without sliping, has good grip
robertoortiz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Re: Your Favorite Clutch and Why

Me personally would go all ford racing...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
My mach 1 has a spec stage 2 and I'm not a fan at all. a little grip comes in a soon a you let it up then it cuts in full tilt over a 1cm pedal duration. I've largely gotten use to it but its still not great. It also gives me bs on a 2-3 quick shift and is a ***** to get of the line without blowing the tired off or bogging. I'll be going centerforce as soon as this pos gives up. I'll also be doing the steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster too.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #15
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Your Favorite Clutch and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
My mach 1 has a spec stage 2 and I'm not a fan at all. a little grip comes in a soon a you let it up then it cuts in full tilt over a 1cm pedal duration. I've largely gotten use to it but its still not great. It also gives me bs on a 2-3 quick shift and is a ***** to get of the line without blowing the tired off or bogging. I'll be going centerforce as soon as this pos gives up. I'll also be doing the steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster too.
What's the reason/need for the quadrant/firewall adjuster?
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted

What's the reason/need for the quadrant/firewall adjuster?
The stock cable stretches and I like to fine tune my clutch activation. Most aftermarket clutches require at least a new quadrant.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #17
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Your Favorite Clutch and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
The stock cable stretches and I like to fine tune my clutch activation. Most aftermarket clutches require at least a new quadrant.
So would an adjustable cable or a firewall adjuster be better? Or perhaps using both together?
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted

So would an adjustable cable or a firewall adjuster be better? Or perhaps using both together?
Depends on your application I guess. fire wall adjuster is quicker and easier but is a little more money.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
Registered User
Newbie
 
2KSTAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Hawaii
Posts: 4
Re: Your Favorite Clutch and Why

Center force dual friction...... Best clutch i ever had.
2KSTAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #20
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Your Favorite Clutch and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KSTAG View Post
Center force dual friction...... Best clutch i ever had.
I agree! I've used Centerforce in two other vehicles, one a 93 Fox, and one a 90 Bronco all decked out for offroading. Love 'em! That's why I'm putting dual friction in my 00 soon as well.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
Depends on your application I guess. fire wall adjuster is quicker and easier but is a little more money.
I was looking at AM and they've got a Steeda Adjustable clutch cable for 10 bucks more than the firewall adjuster.. but if the adjuster is easier I may go that route..
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
clark98gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 80
Re: Your Favorite Clutch and Why

I would have to say ram. The one I'm using was in my friends 351w turbo car and was slipping after running it for awhile. I put it in mine and it works like a champ no slipping at all. I will definitely be replacing it when it goes out with another ram
__________________
1998 Gt- current progress
Engine back in car some reassembly required
clark98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #22
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Your Favorite Clutch and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark98gt View Post
I would have to say ram. The one I'm using was in my friends 351w turbo car and was slipping after running it for awhile. I put it in mine and it works like a champ no slipping at all. I will definitely be replacing it when it goes out with another ram
They were my very close second choice.. but experience with CF is leading me with them first.. If I have problems though, I may R+D with RAM..
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #23
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
My mach 1 has a spec stage 2 and I'm not a fan at all. a little grip comes in a soon a you let it up then it cuts in full tilt over a 1cm pedal duration. I've largely gotten use to it but its still not great. It also gives me bs on a 2-3 quick shift and is a ***** to get of the line without blowing the tired off or bogging. I'll be going centerforce as soon as this pos gives up. I'll also be doing the steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster too.
I have an 04 Mach 1 that the dude put a fancy clutch on and I have experienced the same as what you explain here. It grabs like a c hair off the floor. It's a pain to drive when your not gettin on it. Is this quick engagement better for your trans? It makes for herky jerky around town driving. Seems like that would be bad for the rest of your drivetrain.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
post clips of your exhaust sound 1quick4.6 Pictures and Videos 37 04-02-2012 11:34 PM
just installed new clutch ram hdx drove about 5 miles and clutch got really hard? Cobra209 SVT Mustang 11 04-01-2012 05:44 PM
show me your mustang angles Mord Fustang Pictures and Videos 63 03-21-2012 04:46 PM
Post your car 2001mustang Pictures and Videos 74 03-18-2012 02:00 AM
Plug and Play sequential lighting magnum1331 1996-2004 Mustang GT 7 03-16-2012 08:30 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



09:35 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.