4.6 power - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
4.6 power

I dont think my car is running to its full potential... Its Very difficult to burnout and just doesnt seem like im getting a whole lot of power from it.. Near high rpms, it seems like its not going very fast...? I have a CAI, bbk 75mm tb, and a new fuel rail. Stock fuel rail at that. What do i need to do to make burnouts easier, and feel like im getting all the power i should! I have a tuner but i need a PC to tune what new stuff i have on. The last owner was an idiot i think. I was running to rich when i got it, and i fixed that problem, so now what?????? Please please please help.
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness
I dont think my car is running to its full potential... Its Very difficult to burnout and just doesnt seem like im getting a whole lot of power from it.. Near high rpms, it seems like its not going very fast...? I have a CAI, bbk 75mm tb, and a new fuel rail. Stock fuel rail at that. What do i need to do to make burnouts easier, and feel like im getting all the power i should! I have a tuner but i need a PC to tune what new stuff i have on. The last owner was an idiot i think. I was running to rich when i got it, and i fixed that problem, so now what?????? Please please please help.
Not to make you sound dumb, but I forget sometimes....did you turn traction control off when you tried to do said burnout?

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Re: 4.6 power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness View Post
Did you by chance get a tuner when you did those mods? Sometimes mods like that can make your car run less efficiently without a proper tune.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
If the previous owner ran it rich for a long time it's possible that (if you still have the cats) they are getting clogged up with too much carbon. Just a thought

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT

Not to make you sound dumb, but I forget sometimes....did you turn traction control off when you tried to do said burnout?
No actually... I have no clue how to turn it off either.. But i didnt know i had it!
How do i get the carbon out from the cats? And would that help? It doesnt sound like that would help a ton with power... And i have a special forces sniper tuner meant specifically for mustangs.. I havent been able to get a hold of a pc yet to program the flash tuner.. I have a mac. And The irony is i convinced basically All my friends and family to get them too.. So no PC that i can get a hold of...
Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

No actually... I have no clue how to turn it off either.. But i didnt know i had it!
How do i get the carbon out from the cats? And would that help? It doesnt sound like that would help a ton with power... And i have a special forces sniper tuner meant specifically for mustangs.. I havent been able to get a hold of a pc yet to program the flash tuner.. I have a mac. And The irony is i convinced basically All my friends and family to get them too.. So no PC that i can get a hold of...
You don't clean out the cats, either replace them or get rid of them altogether. And if they are clogged enough, it can absolutely have an effect on the power. If exhaust can't get out then air and fuel can't come in

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #7

Region: Alabama
If the cats are clogged less airflow outward just like having a bad air filter on the induction side less air less power my advice is find a set of high flow cats cause there is no way to on clog the ones u got. Unless u want to just cut them off straight pipe it and get u some $ 70 MIL eliminators too fool those emissions testings
Hdavis013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

You also have to remember that that is a 215 hp car stock... Brand new. With it being 17 yrs old and all that wear, it'll lose power along the way too

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
As for the traction control you can turn it on and off with the the button under your radio that says trac off
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #10

Did your 96 start life as a v6 cause the badges don't match up with a 4.6
Old 03-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227
As for the traction control you can turn it on and off with the the button under your radio that says trac off
Its a 96 mustang with a 98 V8 in it. I didnt do the swap. But could i turn it off with the tuner? And i will get high flow cats... What are some things i can do to get it up to maybe 300 hp or around there? Not super expensive things either...
Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Its a 96 mustang with a 98 V8 in it. I didnt do the swap. But could i turn it off with the tuner? And i will get high flow cats... What are some things i can do to get it up to maybe 300 hp or around there? Not super expensive things either...
Full exhaust with long tube headers. PI heads, new intake, 3.73's or 4.10's and cams. Heads won't be cheap but it'll probably be about the best thing you can do to free up alot of airflow

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #13

And did u even consider the clutch may be going out causing less grab and seem like its loosing power not letting the wheels turn over as good may wanna check on that
Old 03-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I know i was having a lack of power with all my midst. I got a custom tune for my diablo from brooks speed and i swear i gain about 40-50hp lol actually realisticly about 25-40. It wad light night and day. It'll turn them over goin into 3rd n a auto. It absolutely woke it up. I am now very happy with my performance. Brooksspeed.com i highly recommend them. Did a great job with the custom tune and got it right the first time
dmax8709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdavis013 View Post
Did your 96 start life as a v6 cause the badges don't match up with a 4.6
the badges?

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

are there any things i can look for or clean in my engine compartment to maybe make it run smoother or anything? its been running rich for a Long time so are there any things i should take a look at? besides swapping cats? i want to look inside them as well...
Old 03-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #16

Yea the lil pony on the side of your car is a v6 emblem if it's a 4.6 it should indicate it in the spot where the horse is it will say 4.6 on the badge and a true gt came with fog lights that filled the vents on the corner of the bumper
Old 03-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdavis013
Yea the lil pony on the side of your car is a v6 emblem if it's a 4.6 it should indicate it in the spot where the horse is it will say 4.6 on the badge and a true gt came with fog lights that filled the vents on the corner of the bumper
I know it started out as a v6. Hah but i am going to swap out the emblem for the 4.6 and also get smoked fog lights and smoked halo headlights..
Old 03-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #18

Yea I can't get anything smoked in Texas it's illegal to have smoked headlights taillights and too dark of tint
Old 03-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Yea I can't get anything smoked in Texas it's illegal to have smoked headlights taillights and too dark of tint
Where do you live in Texas? i live in fort worth and im stationed in killeen i drive everywhere around both of those surrounding areas and i have smoked taillights and smoked 3rd break light.and I've never been stopped ever.
sean03gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #20

I live in mesquite but it's not the cops that bother u it's the state inspectors I was one and stopped cause I didn't like being the bad guy I failed cars all day for it I'd smoke mine if my car wasn't blue
Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I live in mesquite but it's not the cops that bother u it's the state inspectors I was one and stopped cause I didn't like being the bad guy I failed cars all day for it I'd smoke mine if my car wasn't blue
Hmmm funny i use to do inspections too but that was 4 or 5 years ago but i don't recall ever smoked headlights or taillights being an issue now tinted windows Texas is very big on that
sean03gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #22

Indeed the rules are stupid and there constantly changing rules like tint was 20 percent and recently changed it too 25 percent
Old 03-17-2012, 05:57 AM   #23
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

Just out of curiousity.. what elevation do you live at. I used to live in Colorado Springs, CO which is right around 6000 ft. After all the power loss through the drivetrain, I had to factor in an additional 25% total power loss due to just elevation alone. Also, when was the last time you changed your plugs? If you've been running rich for a long time, they could be fouled. A good set of plugs will help if that's the case. Are you using the recommended oil weight? I know it sounds dumb, and I'm not saying YOU are, but i've ran into some interesting people that didn't know better. Is the air filter clean? Are there any obstructions in airflow into your engine that aren't 'normal'? Have you had your fuel pressure checked? When was the last time your fuel filter was changed? How do the brakes feel? Sometimes people have brakes that are constantly holding without realizing it, however, it becomes pretty obvious after a short time. If you wanna feel more of a kick in the pants without spending a lot to get HP, a set of gears really helps out. If you want that kick feeling, I recommend 4.10s if it's not your daily driver or if it's an auto. If it is a DD or if it's a stick, 3.73's are good as well, but 4.10s are just as good too if you're not too worried about a couple MPGs less and 100-300 RPMs higher at cruising speed.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted View Post
Just out of curiousity.. what elevation do you live at. I used to live in Colorado Springs, CO which is right around 6000 ft. After all the power loss through the drivetrain, I had to factor in an additional 25% total power loss due to just elevation alone. Also, when was the last time you changed your plugs? If you've been running rich for a long time, they could be fouled. A good set of plugs will help if that's the case. Are you using the recommended oil weight? I know it sounds dumb, and I'm not saying YOU are, but i've ran into some interesting people that didn't know better. Is the air filter clean? Are there any obstructions in airflow into your engine that aren't 'normal'? Have you had your fuel pressure checked? When was the last time your fuel filter was changed? How do the brakes feel? Sometimes people have brakes that are constantly holding without realizing it, however, it becomes pretty obvious after a short time. If you wanna feel more of a kick in the pants without spending a lot to get HP, a set of gears really helps out. If you want that kick feeling, I recommend 4.10s if it's not your daily driver or if it's an auto. If it is a DD or if it's a stick, 3.73's are good as well, but 4.10s are just as good too if you're not too worried about a couple MPGs less and 100-300 RPMs higher at cruising speed.
Thanks! Im gonna answer all of these. I have changed my plugs. I got double platinum in them right now and they are great. I did that a few weeks ago and it made a big difference. For oil weight, I have no clue how many miles are on the engine because the previous guy did an engine swap, but i imagine not many. maybe a little under 100,000. the odometer stopped at 133,338 so the bodies at probably 160,000 or a bit more. I'm running 5w30 in it right now. Penzoil. for the air filter, I'm going to clean it again, but i cleaned it a month ago and it whistles like crazy now. I swapped the Fuel Pressure regulator and that stopped it from showing the running to rich codes, but it still doesn't feel right. I changed the fuel filter a few weeks ago as well. the brakes seem tough. and i feel a lot of pressure escape or something when i push down on them. they only go down maybe 3 inches. and it makes an escaping hissing sound when i push down. also because it idles bad, i can feel it in my brakes... its really weird.. Its a manual DD. I have no clue of the elevation but i live in Boise, ID so its kinda high.. Whenever i step on the gas, It hesitates, stutters, shakes, and i feel like I'm losing power. thats when i floor it.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:54 AM   #25
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness View Post
Thanks! Im gonna answer all of these. I have changed my plugs. I got double platinum in them right now and they are great. I did that a few weeks ago and it made a big difference. For oil weight, I have no clue how many miles are on the engine because the previous guy did an engine swap, but i imagine not many. maybe a little under 100,000. the odometer stopped at 133,338 so the bodies at probably 160,000 or a bit more. I'm running 5w30 in it right now. Penzoil. for the air filter, I'm going to clean it again, but i cleaned it a month ago and it whistles like crazy now. I swapped the Fuel Pressure regulator and that stopped it from showing the running to rich codes, but it still doesn't feel right. I changed the fuel filter a few weeks ago as well. the brakes seem tough. and i feel a lot of pressure escape or something when i push down on them. they only go down maybe 3 inches. and it makes an escaping hissing sound when i push down. also because it idles bad, i can feel it in my brakes... its really weird.. Its a manual DD. I have no clue of the elevation but i live in Boise, ID so its kinda high.. Whenever i step on the gas, It hesitates, stutters, shakes, and i feel like I'm losing power. thats when i floor it.
Boise is right around 2730.. so take your HP at sea level and multiply it by the percent lost. Typically, you'll lose about 4% per 1000 feet. (Note for forced induction, you'll lose one pound of boost for every 2000 feet of elevation). As for the loss of power.. it could be your PCM having a problem. Have you tuned it?
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted

Boise is right around 2730.. so take your HP at sea level and multiply it by the percent lost. Typically, you'll lose about 4% per 1000 feet. (Note for forced induction, you'll lose one pound of boost for every 2000 feet of elevation). As for the loss of power.. it could be your PCM having a problem. Have you tuned it?
No i havent. I need to have a PC and for the life of me, i cant get a hold of one. I convinced everyone in my family to get apple, and now its dumb. Lol but i am replacing my temperature sensor because it says theres low input to the computer. And there are wires that are a little frayed to the sensor. I need to replace those. You think that would do it?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Why don't u just sell the software u have and buy a sct tuner from a. m. and get a bama custom tune?
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No i havent. I need to have a PC and for the life of me, i cant get a hold of one. I convinced everyone in my family to get apple, and now its dumb. Lol but i am replacing my temperature sensor because it says theres low input to the computer. And there are wires that are a little frayed to the sensor. I need to replace those. You think that would do it?
Y don't you just buy windows and partition your hard drive and have windows on it too??? I've seen this done lots of times...

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 03-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT

Y don't you just buy windows and partition your hard drive and have windows on it too??? I've seen this done lots of times...
I tried that and it wont work. Ive already ran bootcamp and all that but theres a buttload of installations i have to go through to do it. It really wont work. I think i could sell it. How much for a tuner and tune?
Old 03-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I tried that and it wont work. Ive already ran bootcamp and all that but theres a buttload of installations i have to go through to do it. It really wont work. I think i could sell it. How much for a tuner and tune?
The tuner is $380 and u get 3 free custom tunes
Old 03-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360

The tuner is $380 and u get 3 free custom tunes
Damn.. I dont know if i can get that out of the tuner i have. Its a special forces sniper tuner.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Damn.. I dont know if i can get that out of the tuner i have. Its a special forces sniper tuner.
At this point if I was u I would take what I can get and get the sct tuner it will make ur life eaiser and it is really simple to use
Old 03-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I paid like 350 after discount for my sct tuner an get free tunes for life...

4.10 Gear/RPM thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT