Trying to join the community - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Trying to join the community

I am trying to find a nice GT hopefully a 03-04. I found this one but dont know if it is worth the drive, 2004 Mustang its like 4-5 hrs away. And im alittle worried about the 5.1 stroker, looked on car fax and it has had 4 previous owners and no accidents. I have more pics in my email it looks pretty clean. Should i be worried about the stroker, what do you guys think?
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I wouldn't seem too worried about the striker, I would however try to get contact with the previous owners and see what all is done to the motor. If its all forged and a 5.1 your in good shape for power adders to make it even faster!

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
That would be cool. The only thing I don't like about buying modded cars is how can you tell they really did what they claim is done to it? I mean, are you really going to take someone's word for it? 9k is a little high for an '04. Even if they had dyno slips and parts receipts how do you really know its true?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that's true, you think 9 is to high for an 04? It also has 70 000 miles on it not 79. Or so the place says and the picture of the gages say..
Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota
Re: Trying to join the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
That would be cool. The only thing I don't like about buying modded cars is how can you tell they really did what they claim is done to it? I mean, are you really going to take someone's word for it? 9k is a little high for an '04. Even if they had dyno slips and parts receipts how do you really know its true?
By getting a high performance degree, tearing down the engine and re-blueprinting it for yourself to verify.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted

By getting a high performance degree, tearing down the engine and re-blueprinting it for yourself to verify.
Pay 9 grand for a car then tear the engine down?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Personally anything you can not see with your own eyes I would not buy into!.. In other words if you have to rip into the engine yourself to verify that it's been stroked and rebuilt (because that is the only way to know for sure), then I would get it!.. 9Gs is a bit too much for a '04 GT right now!..

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
Personally anything you can not see with your own eyes I would not buy into!.. In other words if you have to rip into the engine yourself to verify that it's been stroked and rebuilt (because that is the only way to know for sure), then I would get it!.. 9Gs is a bit too much for a '04 GT right now!..
Kent to say "would not get it!.."
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I found another 02Gt that is closer to me and only has 39, 000 miles that I'm going to try to get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120319_091010.png
Views:	100
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	44250  
Old 03-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
My car has had 6 previous owners(poor car)
But everything is mechanically sound so I guess I got lucky with it, I got it pretty much bone stock so I can do all mods myself but whatever car you do go to see make sure you take it to a mechanic in the area that has no ties to the guy to check it out.
If the seller objects or makes excuses walk away from it, I walked away from a 2001 bullit because check engine light was on and seller wanted me to go to his mechanic only

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Also unless you can see it don't trust people's words, I k ow a guy who just got a 91 mustang that was "fully built motor" and all, come to find out That his car is stock except exhaust. Just goes to show how cautious you have to be when buying a car. Most people just want to dump their problems on other people
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227 View Post
My car has had 6 previous owners(poor car)
But everything is mechanically sound so I guess I got lucky with it, I got it pretty much bone stock so I can do all mods myself but whatever car you do go to see make sure you take it to a mechanic in the area that has no ties to the guy to check it out.
If the seller objects or makes excuses walk away from it, I walked away from a 2001 bullit because check engine light was on and seller wanted me to go to his mechanic only

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Also unless you can see it don't trust people's words, I k ow a guy who just got a 91 mustang that was "fully built motor" and all, come to find out That his car is stock except exhaust. Just goes to show how cautious you have to be when buying a car. Most people just want to dump their problems on other people
I agree. Always get a new car independantly verified by someone you trust. As for the "fully built motor" part.. doesn't that just mean "completely assembled"? LMAO.. No "some assembly required"?? I love when people use terminology to try to sell things... Always be cautious.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Yeah too bad my buddy didn't listen to me but it's his problem lol
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah I personally would stay away from a car that highly modded or supposedly modded. You could buy the car and throw a rod 2 weeks later...it's happened to too many people I know. As said there's really no way to verify the modifications done without either tearing into the engine or taking the owner's word for it

You're better off buying a stock or lightly modded car - cosmetic mods and bolt ons ~ exhaust, CAI, plenum, lowering springs, wheels etc.

That 02 GT looks clean...low miles too. What are they asking for it?

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I pretty much got it today I just need to pick it up and pay for it tomorrow. It's a 5speed 39,000 miles CAI, and Magnaflow exhaust super clean. They asked 11,900 I got it for 10,900 may be a little overpriced but I don't think I will ever find another stang with 39,000. And it's got an amp and sub as well as the mach sound system I will post pics tomorrow. Thanks for everything guys.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Car Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

there is the ad thats pretty much all the pics. I did not like the wheels at first but now that i have seen them in person i love them, this car is even sweeter in person.
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted View Post
Who needs a degree, just find Twisted! Andy Rooney is right, knowing is half the battle.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
Who needs a degree, just find Twisted! Andy Rooney is right, knowing is half the battle.
LOL Thanks!! It is nice knowing what you're looking at when you look at it and knowing what to look for and where to look.. It's not always a guarantee, but it sure helps being able to identify a bunch of stuff people don't normally look for.. Helps knowing the right questions to ask as well when buying a car..
Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Thumbs up Re: Trying to join the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258 View Post
I pretty much got it today I just need to pick it up and pay for it tomorrow. It's a 5speed 39,000 miles CAI, and Magnaflow exhaust super clean. They asked 11,900 I got it for 10,900 may be a little overpriced but I don't think I will ever find another stang with 39,000. And it's got an amp and sub as well as the mach sound system I will post pics tomorrow. Thanks for everything guys.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

there is the ad thats pretty much all the pics. I did not like the wheels at first but now that i have seen them in person i love them, this car is even sweeter in person.
Awww, there you go. It takes a lot to build an older Mustang. Over time you might have dissapointments, but the best part is getting over them, and making your investment worthwhile by carefully upgrading only what needs upgrading. Set your objectives on what you want your car go be and the rest will be history. Performance parts are cheaper than stock parts from the dealer most times. Enjoy you ride. See you around the forum.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258 View Post

Very nice...car looks pretty clean from the pics...only thing I'd do is take off the white accents around the exhaust cutouts on the rear bumper, but that's just me, it's your car! I don't think you really overpaid, if it's solid then you got a decent deal, plus you're not going to find too many low mileage cars these days.

Must be one hip grandpa to have a full system in his mustang

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT