Can anyone help diagnos my misfire? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Can anyone help diagnos my misfire?

I Think i have a misfire in my stang. Ive had a people tell me and i believe its the issue as well. I can feel it in my brake pedal and i can feel it in my shift knob, as well as see if. It shakes when im idling and kinda jerks and all that. When i floor it, it feels like itll take off, and then suddenly lose power, and then gain it again really quickly, but overall, i lose power. Im not accelerating Nearly as fast as i should be!. Id run 20 second quarter miles at this point. For a 4.6 i should definitely be able to peel out nicely. Anyways, it idles at around 1500 and then suddenly drops to 750 and starts its jerking and shaking. When i shift to second and floor it, its like im giving it more gas but its not going anyways, the rpms just climb slowly and it gets louder. Im seriously up a creak and i NEED someones help. I need to take this car on a trip on sunday and need it working! There are no codes that i can see but i cleared them because i got rid of the running to rich code. It was runnig rich for over a year... I swapped the regulator, replaced the fuel rail, and cleaned the CAI and maf, and iac. Please help me. Im so done with the problem thats been going on for a Long time.
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
What year sounds like a coil or cop
Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02PONY
What year sounds like a coil or cop
Its a 96 mustang with a 98 V8 in it. Whats a cop?
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yours is coils
Cop is coil on plug 99-04
Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Oh so like the coil packs? The little box that has the 4 spark plug wires attached to it?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I just had pretty much same problem
Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya I just had pretty much same problem
Really? You think if i got some cheap at a junk yard, that would temporarily fix it? What was happening with your car?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Missing really bad every gear ****ty gas mileage ruff idle
Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Can anyone help diagnos my misfire?

Can you have just one spark plug wire connector thing on the pack go bad? or is it the whole coil pack? I'm wondering this because It seems like if its bad its bad all the way around. not just bad with one connector to the wire.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

No I just had 1 out of the for bad on one side of my f150
Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I just pulled my wires while the car was running and they all made spark and popped. which means that my packs are fine right?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Nope I had no codes or check engine light also tested coils and tested fine but when they ran computer on my car while driving it it showed bad misfires on couple cylinders so I just changed those coils

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

I'm not saying its 100% the coils but that's where I'd go from where your at now with stiff u already tried
Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

ok... Im not showing any codes at all. but on my drive home from work, it felt like a great car! when i was running cold. then when i hopped onto the freeway it started hesitating again and jerking around a little bit.. any idea? Should i just get new coil packs or used ones, and try those? even if thats probably not the problem? I don't have much money at all, so i can't get new ones.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Ive got a few extra coil packs from my rebuild ill give you bro, let me know.

I just PM'd you.
FORDGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Just hooked them both up. They work fine bro. PM me if you need them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2019901510.png
Views:	171
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	44627  
Old 03-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Here they are!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1049846146.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	559.9 KB
ID:	44643   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1287800422.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	533.3 KB
ID:	44644  

Old 03-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDGT14
Just hooked them both up. They work fine bro. PM me if you need them.
He has the different style that has 4 plugs on 1 coil pck
But I'll take them off your hands or trade u something for them
Old 03-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea.. I was hopin that wasnt the problem! thanks anyways man!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness

Yea.. I was hopin that wasnt the problem! thanks anyways man!
Yeah after seeing the pics, yours are way different than mine..soory man

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Quote:

What do you have to trade?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

What u need
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

My coils look fine inside and out! I took them off and no cracks, no burn marks. Nothing. I took them off while running and saw them all pop amd spark. So all were working! Yet when i accelerate, its studders and shakes a bit!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My coils look fine inside and out! I took them off and no cracks, no burn marks. Nothing. I took them off while running and saw them all pop amd spark. So all were working! Yet when i accelerate, its studders and shakes a bit!
Maybe a fuel delivery issue? Check your fuel filters and pump..maybe a cloggef filter?

Have you pulled your plugs out and looked at them?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I already changed my filter, but i think im gonna pull all the plugs and see if anythings in them. I might have a leaking gasket
Old 03-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I swapped the plugs a few weeks ago
Old 03-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Wink Re: Can anyone help diagnos my misfire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness View Post
I swapped the plugs a few weeks ago
Hey buddy I'm gonna join for advise... I just bought my car for 4500 and not real smart about them but from the 2 an a half months I've owned mine, is that it's kinda got similar problems... The biggest thing that helped me was buying a new mass air flow meter from A@M for 90 bucks, it requires a tune but I had already planned to get a Bama tuner so bought that to... It took the pegging completely out along with the late throttle response. And just from listening to it I know it's runnin lean, needs O2's plugs, coil packs... I also cleaned throttle and plenum out and bought a new iac, and that helped... Just some ideas hope they help ya...

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright View Post
Hey buddy I'm gonna join for advise... I just bought my car for 4500 and not real smart about them but from the 2 an a half months I've owned mine, is that it's kinda got similar problems... The biggest thing that helped me was buying a new mass air flow meter from A@M for 90 bucks, it requires a tune but I had already planned to get a Bama tuner so bought that to... It took the pegging completely out along with the late throttle response. And just from listening to it I know it's runnin lean, needs O2's plugs, coil packs... I also cleaned throttle and plenum out and bought a new iac, and that helped... Just some ideas hope they help ya...
Ooh ya and did you gap them plugs before you put em in? I'm sure ya did...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:50 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Double check mass air sensors is connected good and not leaking anywhere... I took my cai apart and cleaned it all and put back together and my car was missing slighly and when I got on thy throttle it started bogging then all of a sudden jumped and took off. Popped my hood and checked my connections and sure enough Maf connector was not on all way on I pushed rest of way on and it started running normal again
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #27
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

Wow bro.. still having issues? Man that sucks.. +1 on the coils. You can have problems with them even if they look fine and cause spark. They may not be producing ENOUGH spark needed in the combusion chamber to fully or even partially ignite the air/fuel mixture. If this is the case, then this could have also been what was causing your rich code to pop up in your PCM and the misfires.. and random misfires don't always throw the CEL on. I would highly recommend changing all your coils (even if it is a temporary fix getting some cheap ones) for some that you KNOW work. When you replace them, double check your spark plugs for fouling and other issues and double check the gap. If you do all that and are still having a problem, there's a chance (although slight) that because your engine is 2 years newer than your car and was swapped in, that whoever did it messed up the timing and your timing is off between your crank and cam(s). I would seriously check the coil pack(s) first though.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted
Wow bro.. still having issues? Man that sucks.. +1 on the coils. You can have problems with them even if they look fine and cause spark. They may not be producing ENOUGH spark needed in the combusion chamber to fully or even partially ignite the air/fuel mixture. If this is the case, then this could have also been what was causing your rich code to pop up in your PCM and the misfires.. and random misfires don't always throw the CEL on. I would highly recommend changing all your coils (even if it is a temporary fix getting some cheap ones) for some that you KNOW work. When you replace them, double check your spark plugs for fouling and other issues and double check the gap. If you do all that and are still having a problem, there's a chance (although slight) that because your engine is 2 years newer than your car and was swapped in, that whoever did it messed up the timing and your timing is off between your crank and cam(s). I would seriously check the coil pack(s) first though.
Wow you guys! Thanks! I will do all of that today! You all have helped out in so many ways its crazy! I appreciate it! Ill take a look at Everything when i get to it in a few hours. Plugs, gap, coils, connections, leaks, everything! I unplugged my MAF to see if it just wasnt working and when i did, it started to stall out and the engine fought to keep it going! So it has to be fine! I dont have a tune yet for it because i cant get a hold of a PC as i have only Apple products.. so when i can get a tuner and tune i will and hopefully thatll help alot!

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

Ooh ya and did you gap them plugs before you put em in? I'm sure ya did...
Yes i gapped them but i didnt know it would make a Huge difference! I did a sloppy job on it! So i think ill recheck them to make sure!

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

Quote:
So change the spark plug wires, or Coil Packs?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
Wow you guys! Thanks! I will do all of that today! You all have helped out in so many ways its crazy! I appreciate it! Ill take a look at Everything when i get to it in a few hours. Plugs, gap, coils, connections, leaks, everything! I unplugged my MAF to see if it just wasnt working and when i did, it started to stall out and the engine fought to keep it going! So it has to be fine! I dont have a tune yet for it because i cant get a hold of a PC as i have only Apple products.. so when i can get a tuner and tune i will and hopefully thatll help alot!

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

Yes i gapped them but i didnt know it would make a Huge difference! I did a sloppy job on it! So i think ill recheck them to make sure!

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

So change the spark plug wires, or Coil Packs?
For sure packs, but both if you can swing it. Wouldn't hurt anything.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
It may also be your fuel pump going bad. I had this happen a while back
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
how would i check the fuel pump?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:

I just replaced mine. I had replaced coils, plugs, and filter so it was just next on my list. But I needed a bigger pump and most of that stuff for my supercharger setup anyway.
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
One way to know if a "Ford" pump is starting to go bad is if it whines when you turn on the ignition key. The other way to check it is with a fuel pressure tester..
Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

All i hear is it pumping fuel when i start it.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Quote:

One way to know if a "Ford" pump is starting to go bad is if it whines when you turn on the ignition key. The other way to check it is with a fuel pressure tester..
It doesnt sound "high pitched"
Old 03-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #35
Road Trip!

Quote:
All i hear is it pumping fuel when i start it.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

It doesnt sound "high pitched"
It's really hard to describe.. Ford's typically have their own unique sounds, sometimes it's normal for them to make a little noise, but other times it's not. For the most part though, it should be pretty quiet. If it's really loud, it's an indication that it may be time to replace it, or you have an aftermarket one (which could also have caused your rich code)..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT