Any COP suggestions? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Arron's racecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Nevada
Posts: 341
Any COP suggestions?

I'm looking to get a new set of COPs and im wondering what brand is the best?
__________________
2004 GT current mods : CAI, BBK Short throw shifter TB and UDPs, SCT x3/SF3 with BAMA Perfomance tunes Roush body kit, roush side skirt exhaust and paint.
Arron's racecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
imhooked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 254
Re: Any COP suggestions?

i'm not sure, but the accel set looked pretty good.

i was looking myself, and the other sets sold by AM didn't seem to get a very good review

i was planning on getting the NGK Irium plugs too, but hadn't really gotten to look at any of the other manu's options
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 598
Please spend your money else where you are not gonna get any gains from any time of after market cops. I also would recommend keeping with NGK TR7 if you are naturally aspirated gapped at factory setting. If you are super charged run TR6 gapped at .032. We have had cars on the dyno with just new aftermarket COP and zero hp gains hope that helps. Many of the aftermarket COP are rebranded different color parts.
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Arron's racecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Nevada
Posts: 341
The motorcraft plugs work great in our cars.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilla
Please spend your money else where you are not gonna get any gains from any time of after market cops. I also would recommend keeping with NGK TR7 if you are naturally aspirated gapped at factory setting. If you are super charged run TR6 gapped at .032. We have had cars on the dyno with just new aftermarket COP and zero hp gains hope that helps. Many of the aftermarket COP are rebranded different color parts.
Not looking for any gains I'm having a power loss issue and I'm just need to replace them and I want to know wich are the best in terms of durability.
__________________
2004 GT current mods : CAI, BBK Short throw shifter TB and UDPs, SCT x3/SF3 with BAMA Perfomance tunes Roush body kit, roush side skirt exhaust and paint.
Arron's racecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
imhooked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 254
Re: Any COP suggestions?

hey guys,
thx... i was wondering if anything would be gained! my car still runs great (55K0 on the original plugs.

i'll consider the tr7 ngk(prob pretty reasonable at rockauto)

thx again-
joe
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked
hey guys,
thx... i was wondering if anything would be gained! my car still runs great (55K0 on the original plugs.

i'll consider the tr7 ngk(prob pretty reasonable at rockauto)

thx again-
joe
The thing is with COPs is when one goes bad your car will start missing and running like crap. Typically you will only replace one at a time when it is needed.
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Arron's racecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Nevada
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilla

The thing is with COPs is when one goes bad your car will start missing and running like crap. Typically you will only replace one at a time when it is needed.


---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar
The motorcraft plugs work great in our cars.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------



Not looking for any gains I'm having a power loss issue and I'm just need to replace them and I want to know wich are the best in terms of durability.
__________________
2004 GT current mods : CAI, BBK Short throw shifter TB and UDPs, SCT x3/SF3 with BAMA Perfomance tunes Roush body kit, roush side skirt exhaust and paint.
Arron's racecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Any COP suggestions?

stay OEM many manuf have so many issues just stay factory
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Any COP suggestions?

I use MSD COP's. I recommend them to everyone. You may not gain HP persay, but you will notice that you don't have a power/torque drop off at the RPM range you do on stock COP's. Your power/torque curve will be higher. This is because you're getting a far better spark at high RPM that can keep up with that much less of time you have to fire off the air/fuel mixture. Typically OEM coils can't provide good spark at high RPM because they have too much dwell time. MSD coils help maintain a lower dwell time at high RPM (through better design and stronger magnets) which helps produce a better spark in a shorter amount of time with higher voltage. This causes your top end to last longer. Couple this with a good spark plug (like the NGK Iridium IX's or a quality motorcraft/autolite plug) and you'll notice a difference in top end. It is possible to gain HP if you couple these upgrades with a better intake system and a tune. Add a proper exhaust system and some extra fuel, and you'll definately want a better spark to burn off the air/fuel mixture. Don't listen to nay-sayers who didn't notice anything or had 1 bad experience or even "knew" someone who had a bad experience. Take it from an engineer who uses them and has first hand experience. They're worth it, and I can prove it.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
imhooked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 254
Re: Any COP suggestions?

thx man... will keep it on my to do list! msd was the other brand i was thinking about in addition to the accel kit

p.s. i've always liked the autolite plats and was thinking on trying their iridium version rather than the ngk's
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted
I use MSD COP's. I recommend them to everyone. You may not gain HP persay, but you will notice that you don't have a power/torque drop off at the RPM range you do on stock COP's. Your power/torque curve will be higher. This is because you're getting a far better spark at high RPM that can keep up with that much less of time you have to fire off the air/fuel mixture. Typically OEM coils can't provide good spark at high RPM because they have too much dwell time. MSD coils help maintain a lower dwell time at high RPM (through better design and stronger magnets) which helps produce a better spark in a shorter amount of time with higher voltage. This causes your top end to last longer. Couple this with a good spark plug (like the NGK Iridium IX's or a quality motorcraft/autolite plug) and you'll notice a difference in top end. It is possible to gain HP if you couple these upgrades with a better intake system and a tune. Add a proper exhaust system and some extra fuel, and you'll definately want a better spark to burn off the air/fuel mixture. Don't listen to nay-sayers who didn't notice anything or had 1 bad experience or even "knew" someone who had a bad experience. Take it from an engineer who uses them and has first hand experience. They're worth it, and I can prove it.
Dyno numbers?... Track times?... Because I have first hand experience with them and know several others as well!.. Zero gains on mildly modded cars!... Slightly better throttle response on some bolt on cars!...

And I'm talking cars, as in more than just Mustangs!...

And what type of engineer are you?.. I know several engineers that still don't know S*** about cars!...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
imhooked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 254
Re: Any COP suggestions?

e-t,

e-z man... don't tear his head off.

everyone entitled to opinion. just ask and maybe he'll send some substantiation
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
02PONY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 886
I replaced my factory cop's with the msd when i got my car less than 6 months ago and felt no difference and have had 2 go bad already and i think another is on its way out
__________________
02PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked
e-t,

e-z man... don't tear his head off.

everyone entitled to opinion. just ask and maybe he'll send some substantiation
Not trying to tear anyones head off!.. Just getting tired of hearing him say how he is an engineer so he should know!.. Sharing ones opinion and first hand experience is one thing!... Trying to throw a degree in peoples faces and there fore trying to make your opinion as fact is some thing else!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Any COP suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Dyno numbers?... Track times?... Because I have first hand experience with them and know several others as well!.. Zero gains on mildly modded cars!... Slightly better throttle response on some bolt on cars!...

And I'm talking cars, as in more than just Mustangs!...

And what type of engineer are you?.. I know several engineers that still don't know S*** about cars!...
Calm down bro. My car is mildly modded (although I do have a 75 shot of nitrous) and they helped a lot. I was running rich and after installing these I noticed I was back at very close to stoichiometric ratio, and had better pull at around 5500 RPM than I used to. Stock RPM drop for HP is right around 5250, and at 5500 RPM I still had throttle response (non spray). They also help with the nitrous because they help burn the extra air/fuel mixture at higher RPM's preventing detonation/misfire/late-fire. I have a degree in Automotive Technologies and High Performance Engineering. I'm qualified to build everyday crate engines, all the way up to 8000 HP Nitro-Methane 500 CID BB Pro NHRA drag motors. You want an 850 HP 358 CID 9000 RPM revving NASCAR engine? I can build it. You want a 2000+ alcohol injected 575 CID Monster Truck engine? I can build it. You want a 85+ MPG gas/electric or gas/hydrogen hybrid running on 3 cylinders making 110 HP? I can build it. IF you are considering any upgrades in your 4.6 liter (or any engine for that matter) internals but aren't sure if they will work or not, I can and WILL blueprint your engine based on your wants/needs for you and make recommendations based off of head CFM flow/velocity, fuel type, rod length vs. crank stroke, metallurgy, piston speed, ring type, cam duration/lift, power adder, or fuel type, type of driving, type of car, etc. Free of charge. Most places would charge you anywhere from $150 to $200+ for that info. I do it for fun, but only for friends/family/mustang guys. Otherwise I charge.

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

I'll try to find some dyno rags around here somewhere for you nay-sayers. No tracks where I live ..

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Not trying to tear anyones head off!.. Just getting tired of hearing him say how he is an engineer so he should know!.. Sharing ones opinion and first hand experience is one thing!... Trying to throw a degree in peoples faces and there fore trying to make your opinion as fact is some thing else!..
Engines are designed through Scientific Analysis and Physical Fact. You can't dispute physics bro. We didn't get to where we are by just slapping sh** together.

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Not trying to tear anyones head off!.. Just getting tired of hearing him say how he is an engineer so he should know!.. Sharing ones opinion and first hand experience is one thing!... Trying to throw a degree in peoples faces and there fore trying to make your opinion as fact is some thing else!..
Oh.. and don't be jealous because I paid to be able to back up and know first hand what most people try to learn by word of mouth, reading in a mag, or going on a forum. Don't be mad because I can make $120K+ a year working out of a shop doing what I love. You don't have to get all p***y about it..
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Arron's racecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Nevada
Posts: 341
I really didn't start this thread to start arguments guys. I just wanted to know which COP are a good (and cheaper) alternative to OEM.
__________________
2004 GT current mods : CAI, BBK Short throw shifter TB and UDPs, SCT x3/SF3 with BAMA Perfomance tunes Roush body kit, roush side skirt exhaust and paint.
Arron's racecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted

Calm down bro. My car is mildly modded (although I do have a 75 shot of nitrous) and they helped a lot. I was running rich and after installing these I noticed I was back at very close to stoichiometric ratio, and had better pull at around 5500 RPM than I used to. Stock RPM drop for HP is right around 5250, and at 5500 RPM I still had throttle response (non spray). They also help with the nitrous because they help burn the extra air/fuel mixture at higher RPM's preventing detonation/misfire/late-fire. I have a degree in Automotive Technologies and High Performance Engineering. I'm qualified to build everyday crate engines, all the way up to 8000 HP Nitro-Methane 500 CID BB Pro NHRA drag motors. You want an 850 HP 358 CID 9000 RPM revving NASCAR engine? I can build it. You want a 2000+ alcohol injected 575 CID Monster Truck engine? I can build it. You want a 85+ MPG gas/electric or gas/hydrogen hybrid running on 3 cylinders making 110 HP? I can build it. IF you are considering any upgrades in your 4.6 liter (or any engine for that matter) internals but aren't sure if they will work or not, I can and WILL blueprint your engine based on your wants/needs for you and make recommendations based off of head CFM flow/velocity, fuel type, rod length vs. crank stroke, metallurgy, piston speed, ring type, cam duration/lift, power adder, or fuel type, type of driving, type of car, etc. Free of charge. Most places would charge you anywhere from $150 to $200+ for that info. I do it for fun, but only for friends/family/mustang guys. Otherwise I charge.

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

I'll try to find some dyno rags around here somewhere for you nay-sayers. No tracks where I live ..

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------



Engines are designed through Scientific Analysis and Physical Fact. You can't dispute physics bro. We didn't get to where we are by just slapping sh** together.

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------



Oh.. and don't be jealous because I paid to be able to back up and know first hand what most people try to learn by word of mouth, reading in a mag, or going on a forum. Don't be mad because I can make $120K+ a year working out of a shop doing what I love. You don't have to get all p***y about it..
Just because you say you can do some thing know all about it don't make it a fact "bro"!... And trust me I'm not pissy about how much cash you can make!... Just getting tired of you trying to throw your opinion down peoples necks as facts!... And then trying to back it up by showing what looks good on paper!.. What looks good on paper and what actually works is not always the same thing!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #18
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: North Dakota
Posts: 303
Re: Any COP suggestions?

What's fact is fact. When its my opinion, I say so. Show me one example in history of an internal combustion engine that wasn't designed on paper first before being built. Etuner, your knowledge on building engines compared to mine is like comparing a worms knowledge of aviation to that of an eagle's. You just can't comprehend and that's why you make such ridiculous statements. I'm done with this thread.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar
I really didn't start this thread to start arguments guys. I just wanted to know which COP are a good (and cheaper) alternative to OEM.
In my opinion Accel is a good and cheap alternative to OEM!.. But they showed no gains!.. MSD is another good one but only showed any real gains with some higher HP motors!.. MotoBlue is no different than OEM, they just look pretty under the hood!..

Sorry about any arguing on your thread!.. Hope this helps ya some!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 598
We can talk all day about what we have learned in a book and the degrees we have on our walls. The difference is actually building engines, beta testing program software for major companies like SCT and racing the cars we build. We have tested cars that make in excess of 750rwp and they have not made a difference. They look pretty and cost 3-500 dollars and don't waste the money guys unless you have a bad COP. My 2 cents.
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilla
We can talk all day about what we have learned in a book and the degrees we have on our walls. The difference is actually building engines, beta testing program software for major companies like SCT and racing the cars we build. We have tested cars that make in excess of 750rwp and they have not made a difference. They look pretty and cost 3-500 dollars and don't waste the money guys unless you have a bad COP. My 2 cents.
+11
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Arron's racecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Nevada
Posts: 341
Ok thanks I think I'll go with the accels
__________________
2004 GT current mods : CAI, BBK Short throw shifter TB and UDPs, SCT x3/SF3 with BAMA Perfomance tunes Roush body kit, roush side skirt exhaust and paint.
Arron's racecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:57 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
imhooked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 254
Re: Any COP suggestions?

hey arron,
before you buy hit me on private message... wanted to see what price you got.

i saw a great price on 'em.

joe
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:09 AM   #24
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Buy the pretty ones!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Florida Stangs? BigB227 Regional Mustang Discussion 62 07-13-2012 07:53 AM
Any other bullitts out there 01bullitt Other Special Edition 17 04-25-2012 11:45 PM
Any opinions on Pyle Subs? meano1 Mustang Audio & Video 9 03-31-2012 02:06 AM
any mustangs around Columbus MS? Ballard281 Regional Mustang Discussion 2 03-22-2012 06:52 PM
Any crazy 2V Gt Videos out there? FORDGT14 1996-2004 Mustang GT 0 03-22-2012 03:54 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



12:19 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.