No Start.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
No Start..

So I blew another spark plug on start up first of all... In my effords of trying to get it home a half mile away I lost power car died. Got it home I repaired the spark plug issue. Now the car only cranks doesn't start. I have fuel air and fire. My question is do you think its possible for the timing to have jumped? I dont have a code reader or even access to a code reader anymore. I've never seen the timing jump on these engines not sure if its possible or not. Is there any way I can quickly check the timing without pulling the whole timing cover anyone knows of?
Cajunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What year? Are you having any other issues?
Nicks86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: No Start..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks86GT View Post
What year? Are you having any other issues?
2002 GT Nope no other issues was running fine before the spark plug blew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ok when you say the spark plug blew, is it just one cylinder consistantly? Different cylinders? Is the engine missing? What does the, plug look like??
Old 03-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

Ok.. so when you say car lost power.. it gradually lost power? Or lost it all at once? When you say spark plug blew.. like literally blew out of the engine? Or just got over charged and failed? I wouldn't think it's timing.. i have some ideas as to what it may be, but I need more info..
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
check your coil and pos neg termibs and make sure u have good grounds

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack
check your coil and pos neg termibs and make sure u have good grounds
these are just some basics to start with i don't know very much about newer mustangs
87blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I would pull all plugs and wires, run ur fingers down the wires, bumps are a sign of failure where the wire grounded out. Start checking electrical areas. Keep us updated...
Old 03-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

This is the second time I repaired this problem on a different cylinder. When I started my car a spark plug blew out of the cylinder header damaging the threads and coil pack. I drilled and tapped the cylinder and repaired it with a solid sert. I lost power all of a sudden. I was at a gas station a mile from home it was still running so I was going to try to make it. About a half mile down the road I lost power all of a sudden at 35mph and was able to coast it to my house. Last time this happened I was able to drive her 15 miles home and repaired the cylinder head the same way and she started up just fine. Again I don't have a code reader or access to one. Thanks for any help.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Also I have good fuel pressure and spark. I'm unsure about the maf sensor sense I don't have a scan tool to check it with.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

So I rechecked my fuel pressure again to be sure and this time I got nothing with key on. And while cranking it would go up to about 25 psi. If i crank it long enough she would act like she was about to start but die out. I checked all fuses and I bypassed the inertia switch and still no start. Oh and I also replaced my fuel filter today. I'm leaning towards the fuel pump? I didn't check voltage at the pump but its I'm getting some fuel pressure I'm assuming it has to have 12 volts.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Bump... I also found a wiring diagram to check the FPDM and if that's good what's a good fuel pump at a decent price to get? If that's my problem...
Old 03-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Lightly used SVT Focus pumps are pretty easy to come by and are only around $100. However you will need the pigtail that comes with it to wire it in. That is a great pump that will support over 400 HP
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I've been looking all morning and I was thinking about the airtex electric pump. It's cheaper because it's only the electric pump with the gasket and filters.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

So I just checked the power and ground circuits to the FPDM. Using this diagram. I got 12.3 volts. Anything greater than 10.5 volts it says to replace. Has anyone replaced the FPDM before? Its easy to get to and actually replace but I'm just wondering if it needs to go to a dealer and have any coding done. Or if its just plug and play that would be awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FPDM check.png
Views:	118
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	45016  
Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

no one knows?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska

i have blown a plug too and have damaged the threads did you have to take the head off to rethread it?
Nashgizam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashgizam View Post
i have blown a plug too and have damaged the threads did you have to take the head off to rethread it?

No I tapped the cylinder without removing the head. The link below is the kit I used. When you tap the cylinder head put some grease like anti-seizes(spelled that wrong i'm sure) and make two or three turns back it out clean the tab add more grease until you tap all the threads. Then I use a air hose and blow out the cylinder and a shop vacuum to be sure I didn't miss any shavings. In the kit make sure you use the smallest insert. It works best and puts your spark plug right where it needs to be. I use the rod in the kit and hit the insert before I put it in the cylinder head to open the threads up on the insert first. Then you put the insert on the spark plug add red lock tight to the insert and install it til it stops. I usually give one last quarter turn if that to make sure its sealed when i feel it got snug. I let it set over night before starting it just to be safe and allow the lock tight to dry.

Buy Fix-A-Thred M14-1.25 Plug-Saver Kit - 1 each insert S, N, L 98141 at Advance Auto Parts
Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Used this and I'm super happy with it!
Nashgizam is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT