Ram-air front rigth headlight? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: California
Ram-air front rigth headlight?

what you guys think about ramair true the rigth side headlight , I seen it in couple stangs in youtuve and google images, the only thing is if riding at nigth and no ligth then get a ticket,,what I am goin to do for my next setup would be use my old headligth fit a 3" funnel I saw in pepboys from spectre, and fit it to my filter since it has the front top of it wide open to fit it and just use it in the day time and if racing at nigth after that carry new ligth and just swap it to drive home, am pretty sure there's good gains whit that mod ill test it and will see

---------- Post added at 05:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 AM ----------

and if I notice that its to much air ill adjust it whit tuner
robertoortiz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Ram-air front rigth headlight?

it wont help hp or tq really at all and is far more trouble than its worth. A normal cold air intake will do the same job.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Road Trip!

think about these ,if a jet uses ram air to suck as much air as possible in to the turbines for power if it didn't they would not even go pass 150mph and a big passenger airplane without turbines caching all that air tru it would not even take off, now you all remember the old carb chevy whit big scoop in the hoods caching all that air and hitting pretty good numbers, there's,the gran am ram air and newer corvet whit ram air as well, also the twin turbos on those 5.0's in front of the bumper they need as much air as they can cach, also the newer cars cach more air tru small ram air systems to help them out, like the ford focus 00-04 have small 2" tubing that caches air in to the air box, so bottom line am goin to use these setup and see what I make
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertoortiz85
think about these ,if a jet uses ram air to suck as much air as possible in to the turbines for power if it didn't they would not even go pass 150mph and a big passenger airplane without turbines caching all that air tru it would not even take off, now you all remember the old carb chevy whit big scoop in the hoods caching all that air and hitting pretty good numbers, there's,the gran am ram air and newer corvet whit ram air as well, also the twin turbos on those 5.0's in front of the bumper they need as much air as they can cach, also the newer cars cach more air tru small ram air systems to help them out, like the ford focus 00-04 have small 2" tubing that caches air in to the air box, so bottom line am goin to use these setup and see what I make
The reason people run those holes is because there's a big *** turbo hiding behind it
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Road Trip!

tru but it makes sends right more air ,Faster induction, exept on raining weather ill covered it, ill just compare my results from now to then with the setup,
Old 03-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
tru but it makes sends right more air ,Faster induction, exept on raining weather ill covered it, ill just compare my results from now to then with the setup,
Ok. I'm with Spector here, you won't see many gains yet, but once you start needing some more air flow them it'll come on handy
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

You can only put as much air into the engine as the heads and cams will flow. Ram air really doesn't count for anything unless your heads can flow that extra amount of air. You'll reach what is called "terminal intake flow" and may even have what's called the "diminishing return" where no matter how much air you have it won't matter for anything because it can't be used. Comparing Jet Turbine engines to internal combustion engines is like apples to oranges. Completely different engineering for a completely different run on physics.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
So a WS6 Trans-Am that utilizes a ram air set up makes no more power then the standard Trans-Am? The SS(F-body) doesn't gain over the Z?

As far as too much air, I doubt a simple ram air set up would out flow the heads by any stretch, we are not talking about a blower. Ppl run blowers on on stock heads and intakes all the time right?

Before you flame on me understand I'm not saying you are going to see any super impressive gains. At any rate the gains you will see will only be at higher MPH's.

I'd be interested in seeing before and after 1/4 mile time slips.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
On a normally aspirated engine you will see absolutely no gains. If you has a naive blower or turbo you might see a small gain. The biggest benefit to the headlight out idea is to make due you are puling cool air...
Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

I guess I need to be more clear. There are cars that are designed with it from the manufacturer and they've designed the car and tuned the car to accept the 'ram' air that comes in, but in reality, it's little more than a glorified intake set up. There are still restrictions and piping and all that not to mention a MAF.. true ram air is air coming straight through a 'ram tunnel' down through an intake manifold, through the runners and straight into the combustion chamber.. possibly filtered but often times not and most of the time ran with carbs. What they have now days, honestly, are just imitations to the real thing. I'm not saying they're not 'functional', but the benefit unless properly tuned for it is very minimal and often times more of a pain the (insert word here) due to rain and what not. In this case, although a headlight ram would be interesting, there would be much modding that would need to be done to truly make it worthwhile.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I've ran with the headlight out on my car. With ram air intake no diff in times
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

in order to make ram air work you have to go MUCH faster than you ever would on the street. The ram air the chevy cars used (camaro/ T/A) is the same its for colder air not forced air~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
Road Trip!

I know since I drive freeway nights to work I cach a lot of action going 80+ I get from ricers to 6.0 to cache some air, last one was gto we took it to 150 there was not much room left for us on the 101N to the 170N here in LA,curves and cars, so pretty much am needing that small gain from ramair
Old 03-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know since I drive freeway nights to work I cach a lot of action going 80+ I get from ricers to 6.0 to cache some air, last one was gto we took it to 150 there was not much room left for us on the 101N to the 170N here in LA,curves and cars, so pretty much am needing that small gain from ramair
No street racing talk buddy.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
Road Trip!

what u mean no street racing talk, we drive mustangs don't we, you have to race ones in a while, or what you are goin to let a chance pass you by sow all that time, parts and money goin to go to waiste when a z28 pull on your side in the highway?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
It's the forum rules. Track talk is fine.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
Road Trip!

is not even street racing talk is highway racing, but any ways yeah?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
is not even street racing talk is highway racing, but any ways yeah?
Highways are street... Lol.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Street racing is just done on public roads.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
what u mean no street racing talk, we drive mustangs don't we, you have to race ones in a while, or what you are goin to let a chance pass you by sow all that time, parts and money goin to go to waiste when a z28 pull on your side in the highway?
Three mods kill the posts when ppl talk about illegal racing. its a smart legal move. Also, forums with known illegal activity are easy targets. I like that this forum is so clean.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If my memory serves me right..
04TRV6 had the intake on the fox coming from a faux foglight in front bumper. Pretty sweet IMO.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT