Tire Siping? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Tire Siping?

K so I'm in les schwab getting a flat repaired on my jeep, and I see this flyer on the counter about "performance siping". I ask the guy at the counter about it and he swears by it (no surprise) claiming that it increases traction and improves tire life. Has any one heard of this before that can vouch for it? If its not bogus I may want to have it done on my tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4208382990.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	45349   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3637456813.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	519.9 KB
ID:	45350  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3212281531.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	521.9 KB
ID:	45351  
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Siping does improve traction... I think tire life is a stretch

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

But it does really increase traction??
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Yes. Wet and snow traction. Doesn't matter as much for dry traction

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Now that I think about it, siping will help the life a little. It allows the tire to dissipate heat better. Depends on how hard you runt he tires really

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Oh so it's not gonna help me hook the tires better then huh?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Nope

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

For dry traction you want as much road contact a possible. The less sipes and water evacuation channels the better. That's why drag radials have very little tread design

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok that's all I need to know. thank you!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Tire Siping?

Tire Siping - Discount Tire
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

easy fun way to understand this...

take your left hand and face the palm up.
then take your right palm and press against the left palm and rock your right palm from wrist to fingers.

^this is what a tire is like before sipes. Big patch of contact.

Take your left hand and face the palm up.
take your right hand and make a fist
then pit your fist into your palm (like if you were to punch your palm)
then rock your fist from pinky to pointer finger.

^this implies siping. less contact, but more room for water, snow, and air.

hope this helped

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Check out the General G-max tires my brother in law works for a tire shop and put them on my 2000 and I love them. The tire Sipes on it look like a Lego piece in a cross section so it allows for water evacuation but limits slipping in the corners. I don't know much about tire except that these made a huge difference in my handling.
Enderthreesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

I'm not convinced.If that procedure provided much benefit, then the manufacturers would all be doing it already. I say BS that the manufacturers would find it too expensive as stated on the Discount Tire site. They could do it better and cheaper than any aftermarket company if it was such a good idea. After all they design and build the tires and have vastly more resources to work with.

All I can really see are hundreds or maybe even thousands of tiny slits in your tire that can pick up even more road grit and gravel particles that will more quickly damage and wear out your tires and be flung up into your wheel wells to pound them paintless and scuff up the liners even more than normal.

Keep your blinker fluid full and your chrome muffler bearings well polished.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
I'm not convinced.If that procedure provided much benefit, then the manufacturers would all be doing it already. I say BS that the manufacturers would find it too expensive as stated on the Discount Tire site. They could do it better and cheaper than any aftermarket company if it was such a good idea. After all they design and build the tires and have vastly more resources to work with.

All I can really see are hundreds or maybe even thousands of tiny slits in your tire that can pick up even more road grit and gravel particles that will more quickly damage and wear out your tires and be flung up into your wheel wells to pound them paintless and scuff up the liners even more than normal.

Keep your blinker fluid full and your chrome muffler bearings well polished.
Sipes do work. The reason they dont cover the tires with millions of them is because after a certain point it will compromise the integrity of the tread itself and make them wear even faster and will offer less traction. Look at snow tires. These are absolutely covered in sipes and work excellent in snow, but are noisier than heck and offer little traction or life on dry warm roads

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Sipes do work. The reason they dont cover the tires with millions of them is because after a certain point it will compromise the integrity of the tread itself and make them wear even faster and will offer less traction. Look at snow tires. These are absolutely covered in sipes and work excellent in snow, but are noisier than heck and offer little traction or life on dry warm roads
To each his own. I won't be cutting up my tires anytime soon though.

Seems to me that with all those extra surfaces rubbing together excessive tire heat might also get to be a problem in warm weather?

Ya'll be careful out there Sipe hunting.

No offense intended, but I just can't see enough benefits to outweigh the negatives.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

To each his own. I won't be cutting up my tires anytime soon though.

Seems to me that with all those extra surfaces rubbing together excessive tire heat might also get to be a problem in warm weather?

Ya'll be careful out there Sipe hunting.

No offense intended, but I just can't see enough benefits to outweigh the negatives.
This is not my opinion these are facts. If you talk to or research any tire manufacturer/engineer they will tell you all of this as well. I believe you may be over thinking this a little.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
This is not my opinion these are facts. If you talk to or research any tire manufacturer/engineer they will tell you all of this as well. I believe you may be over thinking this a little.
Until I see some thorough tests by an independent source their statements are just opinions to me.
Manufacturers and Engineers? Well we have ample proof over the years of their inconsistencies and lies in the motor vehicle industries don't we?

Over thinking, me?
Yeah, you're probably right, but it hasn't failed me many times over the years, so I'll continue to do that.

I was simply stating my opinion and you are welcome to your own.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Take a look at the difference between summer tires, all season tires, and snow tires. Look at the amount of sipes in each one. They all offer different levels of traction as well as tread life.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:

Until I see some thorough tests by an independent source their statements are just opinions to me.
Manufacturers and Engineers? Well we have ample proof over the years of their inconsistencies and lies in the motor vehicle industries don't we?

Over thinking, me?
Yeah, you're probably right, but it hasn't failed me many times over the years, so I'll continue to do that.

I was simply stating my opinion and you are welcome to your own.
Wow wish I was cocky enough to make fun of everyone else's opinion even though they have used the actual product being discussed. Do manufacturers embellish the capabilities of their products? Sure. Do people get on this forum to lie, cheat and sell parts for "the man"? Nah they don't they get on here to share information and experience and better the mustang community. So as someone who has tire sipes from the manufacturer that have made a noticeable difference in my vehicles traction I would say, from experience, that they work pretty well
In wet and light snow conditions. So while you're job hunting I will sipe hunt because it has been working for me do far.
Enderthreesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #18
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Take a look at the difference between summer tires, all season tires, and snow tires. Look at the amount of sipes in each one. They all offer different levels of traction as well as tread life.
Yes, I have seen that and you are correct.
I'm just really skeptical when something like this pops up outside of the manufacturers. I'd like to see their views and opinions on slicing up the tread on their tires.
I just believe that if there were any real benefits, that the tire manufacturers with their vast resources in manufacturing and engineering would have implemented it in their tires to begin with if it was such a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderthreesix View Post
Wow wish I was cocky enough to make fun of everyone else's opinion even though they have used the actual product being discussed. Do manufacturers embellish the capabilities of their products? Sure. Do people get on this forum to lie, cheat and sell parts for "the man"? Nah they don't they get on here to share information and experience and better the mustang community. So as someone who has tire sipes from the manufacturer that have made a noticeable difference in my vehicles traction I would say, from experience, that they work pretty well
In wet and light snow conditions. So while you're job hunting I will sipe hunt because it has been working for me do far.

It's not meant to be "cocky" and I was NOT making fun of everyone else's opinion. So please don't try to turn it into something it is not. I was only expressing my opinion and threw in a few jests to lighten the mood. There was nothing offensive in what I said or did and if it was taken that way I apologize as that was not what I meant.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT