ANYONE thinking about buying headers! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Alright guys,

So I have an 02 GT and wanted to install some LT headers. Found a guy on craigslist selling some pypes headers for 200 so I bought them. Steal right? WRONG.

So as many of you know it's about the funnest thing in the world to install LT headers. Well I took suspension apart, took off steering rack, dropped k member, etc. Got the manifolds off and everything, all is going well.

Install the passenger side header. Pain in the a** , but it's to be expected cause they're LT. however the tubes were literally a cm away from my starter so I bought a starter heat wrap. Had to modify some bolts because the tubes were in the way. But anyway I got that installed with just the typical frustration and cussing expected when installing LT.

Now to the drivers side, first I decided to bolt up the EGR tube. About a whole freaking 1 1/2" away from lining up. So I unbolted the EGR from the engine compartment (got a nice scar from that). And finally managed to finagle it enough to get it started. Then the bolt fought me all the way on and i had to have my dad pull the header out and I tightened the bolt with channel locks about a 1/4" at a time. Shoot me now!

Anyway the header didn't fit worth s**t but I managed to get it bolted up. So finally I am putting the car back together (keep in mind it took me longer to install these headers than it did to take the whole freaking car apart and put it back together combined). After I get done and am installing the shorty h pipe. I notice just a little something that makes me feel sick..

The f***ing drivers side header (the one that was the hardest to install) is in complete contact with my floor board. I about went nuts. I read up more on the pypes LT headers that night and people talked about the same problems and how sh**y they were. So I did it all over again and put my manifolds back on and my o/r x and that nightmare was nothing but a total waste of time and money. I threw those pieces of s**t in the trash.

DO NOT BUY PYPES HEADERS!!!! I'm trying to save u guys from making the same mistake I made.. They're cheaper than the others for a reason.. They suck. They need to be taken off the market and put out of business.. You get what u pay for.. Lesson learned
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2537808967.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	45424   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1938840241.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	500.9 KB
ID:	45425  

02NightmareGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02NightmareGT
Alright guys,

So I have an 02 GT and wanted to install some LT headers. Found a guy on craigslist selling some pypes headers for 200 so I bought them. Steal right? WRONG.

So as many of you know it's about the funnest thing in the world to install LT headers. Well I took suspension apart, took off steering rack, dropped k member, etc. Got the manifolds off and everything, all is going well.

Install the passenger side header. Pain in the a** , but it's to be expected cause they're LT. however the tubes were literally a cm away from my starter so I bought a starter heat wrap. Had to modify some bolts because the tubes were in the way. But anyway I got that installed with just the typical frustration and cussing expected when installing LT.

Now to the drivers side, first I decided to bolt up the EGR tube. About a whole freaking 1 1/2" away from lining up. So I unbolted the EGR from the engine compartment (got a nice scar from that). And finally managed to finagle it enough to get it started. Then the bolt fought me all the way on and i had to have my dad pull the header out and I tightened the bolt with channel locks about a 1/4" at a time. Shoot me now!

Anyway the header didn't fit worth s**t but I managed to get it bolted up. So finally I am putting the car back together (keep in mind it took me longer to install these headers than it did to take the whole freaking car apart and put it back together combined). After I get done and am installing the shorty h pipe. I notice just a little something that makes me feel sick..

The f***ing drivers side header (the one that was the hardest to install) is in complete contact with my floor board. I about went nuts. I read up more on the pypes LT headers that night and people talked about the same problems and how sh**y they were. So I did it all over again and put my manifolds back on and my o/r x and that nightmare was nothing but a total waste of time and money. I threw those pieces of s**t in the trash.

DO NOT BUY PYPES HEADERS!!!! I'm trying to save u guys from making the same mistake I made.. They're cheaper than the others for a reason.. They suck. They need to be taken off the market and put out of business.. You get what u pay for.. Lesson learned
I've heard the same but didn't know if it was true or not but I'm sorry you has to go through all that
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227

I've heard the same but didn't know if it was true or not but I'm sorry you has to go through all that
its definitely true.. And it's fine I learned one hell of a lesson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Dang that sucks.

Nice ride though.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Man LMAO I'm glad I'm here in sunny Charlotte getting ready to take the stang out for a blowup run... Confucius say avoid criticism at all costs...
Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: ANYONE thinking about buying headers!

I'm sorry you ran into so much trouble, man. LT Headers are a pain in the butt to egin with... I can only imagine if they don't even fit right.

Btw; You can get some awesome stuff off craigslist. What's the difference between buying Pypes LT Headers from CL and buying them from someone like.. AM? The difference is price. Same exact product. Kinda ****ty for you to bash the guy's review and little write-up over the origin of his purchase. LT Headers are LT Headers. You don't need a shop to install them.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
I'm sorry you ran into so much trouble, man. LT Headers are a pain in the butt to egin with... I can only imagine if they don't even fit right.

Btw; You can get some awesome stuff off craigslist. What's the difference between buying Pypes LT Headers from CL and buying them from someone like.. AM? The difference is price. Same exact product. Kinda ****ty for you to bash the guy's review and little write-up over the origin of his purchase. LT Headers are LT Headers. You don't need a shop to install them.
It's cool. It's life. It happens.

And thank u for backin me up. It's good to know there's plenty of intelligent people on here and not just thread bashers lol
Old 03-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02NightmareGT View Post
It's cool. It's life. It happens.

And thank u for backin me up. It's good to know there's plenty of intelligent people on here and not just thread bashers lol
These guys are right man, I put my whole exhaust together on Craigslist. There is nothing wrong with it. Pypes just has some crappy quality to their stuff
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

I've heard this time and time again about Pypes and other inexpensive headers
GUYS THINK HEADERS ARE HEADERS , but they're NOT
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR .............
Spend the $$$$$$ / Hooker , American Racing , Kooks (witch I have ) , JBA etc .......
Old 03-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde
I've heard this time ans time again about Pypes and other inexpensive headers
GUYS THING HEADERS ARE HEADERS , but they're NOT
Spend the $$$$$$ / Hooker , American Racing , Kooks (witch I have ) , JBA etc .......
I hear BBK are good too
Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I hear BBK are good too
Not bad , at least they fit pretty well ....
Old 03-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Not bad , at least they fit pretty well ....
So what exactly makes kooks better than BBK, slp, hooker, and other good brands? Cause I hear kooks are the best. And I know they're freakin expensive.. But what makes them the best and worth the money?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Go ceramic...
Old 03-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Quote:
So what exactly makes kooks better than BBK, slp, hooker, and other good brands? Cause I hear kooks are the best. And I know they're freakin expensive.. But what makes them the best and worth the money?
They are just much better quality. The metal quality, bends, welds, coating, and fitment are just better overall.
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
if you saw them next to another brand you'd know , they look incredible
the quality is awesome , and they fit so well !!!
through the years I've tried , BBK , Hooker, MAC , All not bad , but the Kooks are awesome !!!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Did u order them straight from kooks website? How much did u pay for them?
Old 03-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
I've heard this time and time again about Pypes and other inexpensive headers
GUYS THINK HEADERS ARE HEADERS , but they're NOT
I meant that a Pypes header you buy off CL is the same as a Pypes header you buy off AM. I'm aware of the differences in manufacturing.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

if you saw them next to another brand you'd know , they look incredible
the quality is awesome , and they fit so well !!!
through the years I've tried , BBK , Hooker, MAC , All not bad , but the Kooks are awesome !!!
How were the macs? Thats what I was lookin to get.

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT

How were the macs? Thats what I was lookin to get.
I'm about to install my macs and pro chamber and attach to original 40 series flowmasters which have been on my car since 2003. What header gasket is best though for 1 5/8 inch primaries? Bbk?

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Not sure if my post worked but what gasket is the best for long tubes with 1 5/8 primaries?

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I want to buy the bbk long tubes with a catted h pipe. Does any one know from experience is it worth it to get ceramics (150$ more) or are the chrome ones just as good?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar
I want to buy the bbk long tubes with a catted h pipe. Does any one know from experience is it worth it to get ceramics (150$ more) or are the chrome ones just as good?
I have had my bbk ceramic headers for about 8 years the only issue I have is where the headers meet the h pipe the ceramic gets chips in it from all the little rocks and things on the road . IMO I would save the money and get the plated ones just make sure the tubbing is sst.
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Ceramic=less heat
Old 03-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

So ceramic performs better?

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

Or is heat the only benefit? Cuz I can buy some header wrap and greatly reduce heat for alot less than $150
Old 03-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So ceramic performs better?

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

Or is heat the only benefit? Cuz I can buy some header wrap and greatly reduce heat for alot less than $150
The temps between ceramic and sst is only a few degrees not worth the difference and I would never wrap the headers as the wrap traps in moisture I know a few guys who destroyed perfectly good headers with that stuff
Old 03-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

If you are concerned about the cosmetic appearance then ceramic may be a better choice as the chrome headers (which I have) will turn blue-ish after a few days-weeks, but honestly performance gains will be identical as chrome also decreases heat, just not quite as well as ceramic coated headers, but you will still get the performance gain with either as it is the design of the long tubes that matters most.

Ohh and guys what gaskets are the best to use with MAC long tubes?

16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
Old 04-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

You can find the bbk ceramic on zon for around 500 if you set up a watch. My buddy even got a set for like 439 couple months ago.

How about these:

http://www.stangmods.com/MAC-Long-Tu...gs-p/00177.htm
Old 04-04-2012, 02:59 AM   #27
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

I'm impressed to learn about Kooks.. I was thinkin' BBK's were pretty top notch, but it's good to hear some feedback on other brands. My question is does kooks make a matching o/r H pipe to go with they're long tubes? And if so, what cat back systems work with their H pipe? As for Ceramic, obviously LT's are better because they flow more evenly and create better scavenging, especially when properly sized for your application, however, to help INCREASE exhaust gas velocity, many companies created/use a ceramic option to keep heat in the exhaust system. This increase in velocity provides better scavenging to help suck exhaust gasses out of the combustion chamber which in turn allows more air and fuel to enter the CC.. which makes more power. The ADDED benefit of ceramic headers is also less heat in the engine bay which helps for many/various reasons. At some point when I can keep a penny from my costly wife, I plan on getting properly sized ceramic LT's and then going one step further and also wrapping them along with the H pipe. It's overboard, but every little bit helps, and I won't have an issue with moisture since it's not a DD and I don't drive it when there's any water on the ground. Gotta be sunny and warm out. Hope this helps..
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

^ I agree, but must disagree. I believe you are right in that sure less heat in engine bay, more velocity sure, but what matters to me are the HP/TQ numbers. I just don' believe that the cost of ceramic outweighs the benefits. Chrome and nickle metals which also have low specific heats do the same thing. My opinion is that if the numbers are there to back up the use of ceramic coating then I would consider it, but just like any clinical trial if there are no statistically significant results the one product is not superior. Either way Long Tubes have the research, but I don't know about coatings. I know I went with Shorties on my 3.8L but that was due to clearance and my stock ones coming out in 3 pieces, but now that the 4.6 is being put in I decided to do it right and go with long tubes.

16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
Old 04-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Bbk ceramic lt's after 8 years of summer driving the coating comes off and the headers start to rust steel is not sst save the money and get a pair of nice sst headers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1581850475.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	45956  
Old 04-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360
Bbk ceramic lt's after 8 years of summer driving the coating comes off and the headers start to rust steel is not sst save the money and get a pair of nice sst headers
So those are ceramics after 8 year?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So those are ceramics after 8 year?
Yes 8 yrs of summer driving!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man you saved me some $
Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander
Thanks man you saved me some $
No prob when I pull my motor In the fall I will b replacing the ceramic with sst LT's
Old 04-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so I'm newb what is "sst"?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok so I'm newb what is "sst"?
Stainless steel (sst)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« Gears | Paint »